Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Magister Stella deal or no deal?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Magister Stella...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Smokey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis! Francis! X5
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Posted Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:24pm
Subject: Magister Stella deal or no deal?

A local espresso equipment reseller was doing a road show at one of those big warehouse stores and they had what seemed to be a great deal on the Magister Stella. I think it was just under $1600 which included the Stella,  a burr grinder which I believe is the same one San Giorgio sells as the Junior  $395 ( http://www.sangiorgiocoffee.com/junior_eg.html ), a Juan knock box with tamper ( $26.99 at Zaccardi's ), 2 Bell Creamers 3oz, 2 steaming pitchers, 1 thermometer, and a bottle of machine cleaner.

Does anyone know anything about the  Magister Stella. From what I can tell it seems to be a variation of the Isomac Millennium with a drip tray that looks more like the ECM Giotto, which from what I think, is made by Isomac (don't quote me on that). One thing that I find really curious is that I can't find an online store that's selling Isomac espresso machines anymore. Please enlighten me.

Any info on the San Giorgio grinder?

Deal or no deal?

Thanks,

Smokey
mod.note: moved to the espresso machines forum
 View Profile Link to this post
Esteves
Esteves

Espresso: Magister (Stella)
Posted Mon Mar 27, 2006, 2:33pm
Subject: Re: Magister Stella deal or no deal?

I picked up one of those Stella machines. I think it's a great package considering what you get in the package.

I've taken the unit apart to get a look at the internal construction. It's built really well and it's pieces are very accessible (though I don't anticipate having the need to tinker with the internals anytime soon). The construction is solid and much better than the plastic ones that Costco sells online.

The look is similar to the Isomac  machine, but it's just similar in looks. Different manufacturer from what I can tell. It's the same exposed group head though.

As for the similarity to San Giorgio grinder, you're right. It's the same one, but the road show is offering it in black and I spoke with the guy at the show and they also carry it in chrome!

I'm gonna see if I can trade/upgrade the packaged black one for a chrome one so it matches with my Stella machine.

You going to pick one up?
LaurenM

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Mar 27, 2006, 3:20pm

I too saw the Stella in San Francisco last weekend.  

The looks of the machine is similar to the ECM, QuickMill and the Isomac with the exposed E61 group head.  A friend of mine has an Isomac and it is much smaller than the Stella from my recollections.

From the little research that I've done, it seems that the offering was a good deal considering the grinder itself is almost $400.  Add that to the price of the machine and there is more of an incentive to purchase it together rather than seperate.  The price of the machine with the grinder at $1600 seems pretty good to me especially since it was something that I could just pick up, at that time, rather than paying for additional shipping charges and insurance.  

I did feel comfortable speaking with the company promoting the machines.  Since they were local, I felt that I could contact them easily enough for any questions or concerns with the machine.  The guy who was there also showed me how pods could be used with the machine.  I was impressed to see how thick the crema extracted from even a pod!  This is what actually made me go back to look at it again with the intention of purchasing it.  Unfortunately, I missed the boat and the offering is not available anymore unless I wait until their next venue.

Smokey Said:

A local espresso equipment reseller was doing a road show at one of those big warehouse stores and they had what seemed to be a great deal on the Magister Stella. I think it was just under $1600 which included the Stella,  a burr grinder which I believe is the same one San Giorgio sells as the Junior  $395 ( http://www.sangiorgiocoffee.com/junior_eg.html ), a Juan knock box with tamper ( $26.99 at Zaccardi's ), 2 Bell Creamers 3oz, 2 steaming pitchers, 1 thermometer, and a bottle of machine cleaner.

Does anyone know anything about the  Magister Stella. From what I can tell it seems to be a variation of the Isomac Millennium with a drip tray that looks more like the ECM Giotto, which from what I think, is made by Isomac (don't quote me on that). One thing that I find really curious is that I can't find an online store that's selling Isomac espresso machines anymore. Please enlighten me.

Any info on the San Giorgio grinder?

Deal or no deal?

Thanks,

Smokey

Posted March 24, 2006 link

Smokey

Posted Tue Mar 28, 2006, 9:00am

Did you take any pictures of the inside of your machine that you could post? I can't seem to find any real information on the Magister. Not even on their website. Even though it looks like the Isomac Millennium or an ECM Giotto with flat sides, I wonder how the components are. If you read the write up on the Andreja Premium on Chris's Coffee Service's website or the review of the Millennium on this website you get a pretty good idea of what you're getting. I'm hesitant to part with $1600 for a machine and grinder I know nothing about. I wonder if i go for it if I could get the chrome grinder. I didn't like the black plastic.

Have you fired up the machine yet? Have you tried the grinder?

Smokey
Esteves
Esteves

Posted Tue Mar 28, 2006, 10:52am

Yes, I've tried the grinder already. It works fine. I'm going to try to pick up a chrome one and my cousin has offered to take the black one of my hands, so I've got no problems there.

I'll see about getting some pictures of the internals tonight.

I've seen an Isomac and there's more room to work inside the Magister than there is in the Isomac.

The biggest selling point for me on the machine was the fact that it was a local company. I really hate dealing with companies out of state when you've got problems and it's difficult to get help over the phone (Like Dell or Norton customer support - UGH).

I'm pretty handy with tools, I do work on my own cars, so I'm not afraid getting into internals, but it's nice to know that the company is local and willing to help out. The guy I talked to says they'd go all the way to LA if need be, so you've got to give credit to a company that stands behind it's product.

What I do know about Magister is that they're in Canada. My friend in Toronto has an older one and hasn't had any problems (and that machine gets used a lot!)
Smokey

Posted Tue Mar 28, 2006, 9:27pm

Lauren,

I checked the sizes and although I've found some inconsistency from one website to another, the size of all the machines are surprisingly, or not so surprisingly, very similar.

Andreja---------------- W  11 1/2"      D  17 1/2"      H  15 3/4"

Stella------------------- W  11"             D  18"           H   14"

Giotto ---------------- W  11 3/8"       D  16 3/4"       H   14"
Premium

Millennium ----------- W  11 1/2"       D  17 1/2"      H   15.25"

-Smokey
Esteves
Esteves

Posted Fri Apr 7, 2006, 8:14am

Just realized, we're talking about an espresso machine in the coffee machine section.

Can the moderator move this post to the Espresso machine section?

Anyhow, I can't locate the tool to remove the safety bolts to open up the machine. Hopefully it turns up (and I just got that tool too!).
Smokey

Posted Fri Apr 7, 2006, 11:35am

I realized it was in the wrong section too... just after I started the topic but I couldn't figure out how to move it to the right area. That said, how do you like the machine?
jsteele
jsteele

Posted Sun Jul 22, 2007, 8:02pm

I have had this machine for a couple of months now and I really love it. I make about 10 shots a day, between my wife and I. It makes an excellent crema and I get a good microfroth using the wand. It only takes about 10 min to heat up in the morning which is great when you are in a hurry. I am a little biased because one of my friends sells this machine among others, but I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants an easy way to make really great espresso.
bikebros
bikebros

Espresso: Magister Stella (Mr...
Grinder: Macap
Drip: NOPE
Posted Mon Nov 22, 2010, 11:42am

I see this subject is an old one. I own a Magister Stella (Mine is branded "Mr. Cappuccino" who are a local wholesaler/retailer in Calgary, Alberta, Canada). I have had the machine for about 2 years. It replaced my Rancillio Silvia. Maybe I have a soft spot for machines named after women? hmmm?
Anyways, seeing how little information is available about the Stella on CoffeGeek, I just wanted to offer my feedback. The machine is capable of producing some beautiful espresso and the steamer makes latte art a reality.
I paid about $2000 for the machine - and totally taking Danny's word (one of the family members that own's Mr. Cappuccino) that this was money well spent.
The Stella was replacing my Silvia as my home machine (the Silvia went to our cabin). I wanted something that would help my latte art abilities and be faster when making lots of cappuccino, quickly, when we have family and friends over. The old Rancillio was slow because you'd have to wait between pulling shots, flipping the switch for steam, waiting for the boiler to produce good steam, steaming milk then back to make the next 2 cappuccinos (which meant blowing off the steam, waiting for things to cool down etc befor pulling another pair of shots).
I have been very happy with the machine - happy enough that I haven't, since purchasing the Stella, looked at what else I could have bought or something to dream of down the road (Ooops, I did briefly dream of a Speedster). For me, this is a good sign that the Stella did as much for me as I could have hoped.
Having said all this, my Stella does have one quirk. I think it is just mine. I'm supposed to take it in to have this issue looked at but can't stand the thought of going a few days without the machine. Anyways, the quirk is that sometimes the machine appears to be ready but there is barely any boiler pressure. Before pulling any shots now, I give a quick shot of steam - if the pressure dial drops excessively, I quickly turn the machine off then back on and it seems to fix itself in a few minutes. Having talked to the guys at Mr Cappuccino about this they seem genuinely surprised by this - so I don't think it is a systematic problem.
My summary: good machine, I like the looks, I feel like a real barrista - able to pull beautiful shots and make latte art.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Magister Stella...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411938905716)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+