Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
reasonable grinder in Singapore
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > reasonable...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
RonnieCorny

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: ViceVersa Koala Cromo
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Hario Syphon Deco 5
Drip: Braun Aromaster
Posted Sun Mar 19, 2006, 9:34pm
Subject: reasonable grinder in Singapore

I've been looking around for any reasonable grinder here in my neck of the woods...

so far, the only "burr" grinders that i've found in the shops are:
a) Braun KMM30
b) Delonghi KG59
c) Krups GVX2

all three are within the same price band...  

can anyone give any comment on any of these... are all these lousy? (i've seen some not-so-favorable comments about the Braun KMM30 and the Krups GVX2)  

I'm using a stovetop "espresso maker" moka-pot and so probably don't need a very fine grind...  on rare occasions, might make some espresson on my old vice-versa...

any help would be appreciated.

also, anyone in singapore could point out where i can get illy cups (I heard Euraco, but haven't gotten around to call them yet) or saeco or other espresso cups sets...  can't seem to find these in any department stores...

rgds,

- ron
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
itinerant

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2006, 1:01am
Subject: Re: reasonable grinder in Singapore

The KMM30 is junk, I've never heard of the other two. I'm not in Singapore, but ten seconds on Google is pulling up vendors that do sell real grinders in Singapore. This is one, I don't know anything about them, but they appear to sell Rocky & similar grinders. Look in the yellow pages.. I'm sure you can find other dealers as well. In the U.S. servicable grinders start around $70 & decent ones two or three times that. Light commercial grinders can be had for around $400 - $500. If you can't find something specific, then that could be mail ordered.

View Profile Link to this post
AussieMark

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Scala Butterfly
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX
Drip: Philips Somethinorother
Roaster: Popcorn/ Heat gun
Posted Mon Mar 20, 2006, 6:32am

Drop me a mail at esther69@singnet.com.sg

I have a nuovo simonelli grinder the same as used by gelarie island wide.  Depends on your budget.  You can get rocky, la scala, actually what ever brand you want.

BTW the nuovo dealer also roasts weekly and is reasonably nice, you can also get green beans from him if you like.  I picked mine up as a shop demo for 600 plus.

hope this helps
Mark
stanley_c_wong

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Office Control, Silvia,...
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2008, 5:24pm

RonnieCorny Said:

I've been looking around for any reasonable grinder here in my neck of the woods...

so far, the only "burr" grinders that i've found in the shops are:
a) Braun KMM30
b) Delonghi KG59
c) Krups GVX2

all three are within the same price band...  

can anyone give any comment on any of these... are all these lousy? (i've seen some not-so-favorable comments about the Braun KMM30 and the Krups GVX2)  

I'm using a stovetop "espresso maker" moka-pot and so probably don't need a very fine grind...  on rare occasions, might make some espresson on my old vice-versa...

any help would be appreciated.

also, anyone in singapore could point out where i can get illy cups (I heard Euraco, but haven't gotten around to call them yet) or saeco or other espresso cups sets...  can't seem to find these in any department stores...

rgds,

- ron

Posted March 19, 2006 link

Hi.  Your post was quite sometime back.  I was wondering how did your search go?

I am looking for a grinder in Singapore myself.  The Krups grinder seems to be the only burr grinder I've seen at multuple locations.  And it is under SGD$100.  Unfortunately the reviews of it is less than glowing.

I am looking for a new or second-hand grinder that hopefully will not cost more than $200.  Any ideas?

Ricmas at the German Center, IBP looks good but expensive.  

Stanley
AfroToast

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Modded Krups GVX2
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 4:10am

I know I'm reviving a 7 year old thread, but as an owner of a Krups GVX2 grinder in Singapore, I felt like I owed the thread some input.

I received the grinder as a gift recently when I got started into espresso making, but quickly found that the grind was too coarse and inconsistent. There's a quick and easy mod to get around this. You can actually open up the burr and put in some aluminium foil, cut up into discs, to have the stationary burr rest closer to the 'business end', resulting in a finer grind.

I've managed to get a grind fine enough to choke up my machine through this method. It's a quick and easy modification and needs no special tools apart from an art knife (penknife will do, but you need more patience) and a screwdriver.

Not sure how helpful this is to anyone stumbling upon this thread, and I'm not completely confident that this is the best way to go, but if anyone needs more details just put in a reply and I'll try to help out.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 10:14am

You are doing the best you can with sub par machine.  Keep looking for a deal on a better grinder.  When you taste what you can get out of a good grinder you will never want to go back, promise.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > reasonable...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.365788936615)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+