Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia valve upgrade
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia valve...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ilcaffedio

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:21am
Subject: Gaggia valve upgrade

Have any of you upgraded a Gaggia without a 3 way solenoid valve, by replacing the 2 way valve with a 3 way valve?  Any tips?
 View Profile Link to this post
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 1:23pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia valve upgrade

Honestly, I don't think it's worth the effort.  You don't gain anything with a 3-way valve except convenience of removing the PF handle immediately after pulling the shot and having a dry puck.  Otherwise, there's really no point.  In fact, some speculate that having one can actually compromise the quality of the espresso due to contamination by old oils in the valve.

Just my $.02

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ilcaffedio

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 1:39pm

Sometimes I have to wait for several minutes (more than 5) for the pressure to dissipate before removing the portafilter after a shot.  Otherwise I end up with grounds all over my group.  Sometimes even after frothing milk there is still a lot of pressure.  

I can estimate how much of the pressure has dissipated, by the resistance on the handle before I break the seal.  

Do you know any tricks to relieving the pressure more quickly?
silver2k

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 2:02pm

Here is my routine:

-Make espresso
-Flip steam switch and wait
-Steam milk
-Turn steam switch off
-Open steam valve and vent into a jar
-When steam valve is no longer venting release the portafilter
-Close steam valve
Then:
-Start cleaning routine
OR
-Rinse PF, dry and load up again
Jasonian
Jasonian
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 4:35pm

ilcaffedio Said:

Sometimes I have to wait for several minutes (more than 5) for the pressure to dissipate before removing the portafilter after a shot.  Otherwise I end up with grounds all over my group.  Sometimes even after frothing milk there is still a lot of pressure.  

I can estimate how much of the pressure has dissipated, by the resistance on the handle before I break the seal.  

Posted February 27, 2006 link

That's news to me.  I've found that pressure BUILDS UP more than it dissipates as the moisture on top of the puck evaporates within the same volume of space.  

I am able to pull the PF almost immediately after pulling the shot.  While the puck isn't entirely dry, I don't usually have to worry about a PF sneeze.. I just turn the handle very VERY slowly so that if it DOES sneeze.. it's minimal.

www.AJCoffeeCo.com - www.espressotrainer.com - www.TX-Coffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
beanmuncher

Espresso: VBM DoubleDomo v3
Grinder: Macap MXK/R
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 5:21pm

Yeah; I'm on a gaggia espresso and can pull the PF within 30 sec
ilcaffedio

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 7:00pm

That makes sense.  While I thought the pressure was dissipating, it was actually building up.  That's why I get explosive pf sneezes.  Ok, I'll try removing the pf earlier rather than later.
BSOD
BSOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso Deluxe
Grinder: Imat Lux
Drip: FP - Various
Roaster: Hmm . . . .
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 7:59pm

ilcaffedio Said:

On my Espresso (no solenoid), I just VERY GENTLY loosen the PF shortly after the shot to get rid of the pressure. If you do this slowly enough there should be no explosion of grounds.
kaanage

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezerra BZ99, Gaggia...
Grinder: NS MCF, Imat Lux, Cunil...
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 9:38pm

ilcaffedio Said:

Have any of you upgraded a Gaggia without a 3 way solenoid valve, by replacing the 2 way valve with a 3 way valve?  Any tips?

This is almost impossible to do unless you were to buy a whole new group assembly as well. The solenoid models have water channels in the group casting that run out to and back from the side of the group where the solenoid sits and directs the water flow as required. You would also need to add a hole to the casing for the solenoid relief tube to run to the droplet tray.

It would probably be cheaper to sell your Carezza and buy a Baby than to get the parts required (unless you can get hold of a dead Baby or Classic).

I agree with what the others have said about removing the PF before the machine gets up to steam temp.

Greg

do'in it on the cheap
ilcaffedio

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2006, 10:55pm

I'm anxious to try removing the pf earlier on.  However I'm low on beans, and I know I won't be able to get any good beans tomorrow because it's Mardi Gras! :-D

I would prefer that removing the pf earlier is the solution.  I may try finding a Gaggia baby on eBay to sacrifice.  I would just buy a classic or baby, but the carezza just looks so much nicer in my opinion even that it's plastic.  Maybe a Tebe...

Still considering what Jasonian said about residual oils.  Wouldn't a quick group flush, flush out any oils; or is that something that only a backflush would take care of?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia valve...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404304981232)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+