Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Passive Preheat
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Passive...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
daduck748

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (2012)
Grinder: Breville BMF600XL
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:11pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Passive Preheat

I didn't want to steal anyone's fire, so I did a search for this thread and will post my mod/experience (installation bit anyway).

Thanks to super_pasty for this great mod and thread.  Thanks to Aden for some technical data on this mod and the motivation to do it.

So, first off, I wanted to take this mod a step further and go "all hard-line" so here are the parts I purchased:

- 20 feet 1/4" copper tubing from Home Depot.  I didn't need 20' but I didn't want to sell myself short.
- 2x 1/4 compression adapters (1/4 - 1/4) for the coil ends.  Of course, I bought extra just in case.
- 2x 1/8 NPTF-1/4 compression fitting for pump and OPV ends.

Tools required:
- 11mm wrench (I use Metrinch tools (both standard and metric, so you'd probably have to calculate the equiv)
- 12mm wrench
- 14mm wrench
- M10-1.00 tap
- countersink tool (to deburr the tube ends before installation.  Feel free to use what works)
- saw (I used an air saw just because it was available.  A hack saw works just as well, just slower)
- file, to square off the tube ends

Other things required:
- a friend would be nice to hold the large bits while you mangle the copper tubing
- A WHOLE LOT OF DEXTERITY!

Alright, on with the show.

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
 View Profile Link to this post
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:15pm

Nevermind the calcium build-up.  I just need to do it, but that's not what this thread is about.

The first thing I did was round off the sharp edges where the heating elements are.  I figured the sharp edges would damage the copper tubing to some degree while fussing with it.  I also rounded the top corners so the tubing would slip over easier.  I figured this out because I had rolled a 3" coil and TRIED to slip it over the boiler and it wasn't working... so I made this mod and tried again.

I also lopped off the top tstat mount since I'm no longer using it and it was causing installation problems.  Now it's nice and clean.

So I had to clean up all 4 corners.  This also gave the copper tubing a better chance at gaining more surface area to contact the boiler for better thermal transfer... not much, but some.

daduck748: IMG_3491.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:18pm

My second attempt at the copper coil.  This was wound around a spray-paint can, which is about 2.65" in diameter.

How nice... but it doesn't end up looking this nice.

Again, I have no idea how much length this is but as you can see, it is about 11 winds around a 2.65" diameter (ID).  I actually cut off about 5" after all is said and done.

daduck748: IMG_3493.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:20pm

Here is a rough installation.  As you can see, the coil is not as nice as when it started.  This is mostly due to the thermocouple, mounted on the side where the original tstat sits.  Also, the bolts that hold the boiler and the group together also don't help.

Something to note here is this mod will assume that you will never separate the boiler from the group, since the coils sit exactly above the screws and you would never gain access to them after this mod.

This was my third try.  I realized I lost access to the screws on my second try.

daduck748: IMG_3494.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:25pm

Here's where the coil loses it's baby-fat.

I used an old racer trick to keep the coil together - safety-wire.  I situated the (bottom) end of the coil, started at the bottom and safety-wired each turn.  This is where the friend comes in handy.  My daughter pinched two adjacent coils together as I twisted the wire.  I'm sure we could have done better, but... it was teamwork and it was fun.

You'll see that both ends of the copper tube gets  a 1/4-1/4 compression fitting.  This is not necessary, but I wanted to make sure I am able to disassemble the darn thing if I ever needed to.  It is also a safety in case this mod didn't work out well, and also makes it modular enough so I can mod other things, like replacing the pump (which I have on my desk but not ready to install it yet).

daduck748: IMG_3495.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:30pm

This is where the custom work comes in.  Don't worry, it's not too bad.

I got 2x 1/8 NPTF, 1/4 compression fitting for the pump output port and the OPV input port.  These are our trusty M10-1.00 thread again.  We see this thread size everywhere in the Gaggia Classic.  If you look at the specs for 1/8 NPT and M10-1.00, they are VERY close and they will work fine if you chase the thread with a M10-1.00 tap.

The 1/8 NPT will turn right into the M10 stud, but it'll seize about half way and you may have sealing/leaking issues.  A tap may cost you about $10 or so at a tool store.  After chasing the thread, the fitting went ALL the way down for a nice compact fit.  Then you apply teflon tape and you're good.

You do this twice, for the pump.

daduck748: IMG_3496.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:32pm

Here's the pump, fitted with a modified 1/8 NPTF, 1/4 compression fitting.  Nothing more needs to be said, I don't think.

daduck748: IMG_3498.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:33pm

Here is the OPV with the same modified compression fitting.

daduck748: IMG_3499.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:34pm

Here's where my bottom end sits.  It sits at the front, where there is a flat surface.  I'm just utilizing the space, also leaving room for the complex bend to the OPV.

daduck748: IMG_3500.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
daduck748

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 8:35pm

Here's the other side.

daduck748: IMG_3501.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Gaggia Classic
Breville BMF600XL
Ducati Hypersport 748r
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Passive...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392974853516)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+