Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
$10 portafilter brew pressure gauge
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > $10 portafilter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Jan 27, 2006, 3:56pm
Subject: Re: $10 portafilter brew pressure gauge

mineralman55 Said:

So what does your Ventrano read when it is flowing a shot?

Posted January 27, 2006 link

The pressure is pretty much maxed out at 8.5-9 bar once the pump ramps up (take a few seconds). The pressure shouldn't drop much under flow unless you're pulling a cafe crema. It's difficult to get accurate readings from the Vetrano gauge (marked only at 0, 8, 12, and 15 bar), and the gauge is out of focus in this pic, but you can tell that the pressure is definitely over 8 bar.

That's why I don't consider a built-in pressure gauge to be a necessity. Once you set the max brew pressure correctly (usually to 8-9 bar), there's not much to be gained from monitoring the pressure during the shot. You should hit close to the max pressure every time (unless your pressure is set 'way too high). You're much better off monitoring the shot time, volume, color, etc. - and of course the taste. (Now a realtime brew temp sensor might be nice... :-)

RapidCoffee: IMG_0009.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeToolsAppJon
CoffeeToolsAppJon
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strada@work, BDB@home
Grinder: Robur, kony, touch, etc
Drip: v60, wave
Roaster: heart, coava, phil &...
Posted Fri Jan 27, 2006, 10:23pm

RapidCoffee Said:

Uh, no. You have to unscrew the gauge (at least) before brewing. This is for setting the brew pressure, not monitoring it during the pour.

Actually, that brings up an interesting point. The measured pressure may be slightly higher using a PF gauge, since there is no liquid pushing out through the coffee grinds. It should give you the maximum pressure setting - anything more will cause pressure to be released through the overpressure/relief valve. I assume it's useful nonetheless (since you can purchase commercial versions).

Has anyone checked for differences between brew pressure gauge readings during a shot, and pressure measurements from a PF gauge such as this one?

Posted December 8, 2005 link

ok check this out... this person solved the issue of finding out brewing pressure..

it is a similar setup as this only with a small faucet opened just enough to let out 2oz in 25 seconds...

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

might be worth a look.

jon

=
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.coffeeToolsApp.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2006, 11:10pm

Thanks for the link. Here's a followup post. Lots of great discussions on Home Barista for the technically minded.
Ozark_61
Ozark_61

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:16pm

Is there a trick for sealing the reducer to the pf?  Mine isn't quite 3/8" at the bottom, but I can't seem to get a tight seal even with 15+ winds of teflon tape - and I'm sure I couldn't find metric plumbing fittings anywhere around here!

Geoff
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 7:54am

Ozark_61 Said:

Is there a trick for sealing the reducer to the pf?  Mine isn't quite 3/8" at the bottom, but I can't seem to get a tight seal even with 15+ winds of teflon tape - and I'm sure I couldn't find metric plumbing fittings anywhere around here!

Posted January 28, 2006 link

Sorry to hear this, and wish I could help. Is this a Gaggia PF? I'm using a commercial Rancilio PF, and there's no problem with the seal. All it takes is one twist of teflon tape. I believe 3/8" is the standard fitting for PF spouts.
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 8:50am

Ozark_61 Said:

Geoff

Posted January 28, 2006 link

I had no problem sealing either with a couple wraps.....the thread on my two different PFs are both 3/8 NPT.

Actually....that may be the problem....in the fitting you are using a 3/8" National Pipe Thread, or just a 3/8" "normal" thread....like on a 3/8 nut/bolt?   A standard 3/8" thread will NOT work properly...it has to be a tapered pipe threaded fitting.

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
Ozark_61
Ozark_61

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 9:00am

I think you got it - I checked the trash and the label on the coupling shows FPT, but I grabbed it out of the NPT box... oops!
Ozark_61
Ozark_61

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2006, 3:27pm

Actually - there's a few options at the hardware shop - but I think I did have the right one in the begining.  I bought a 3/8 x 1/4 FPT coupling.  There are some other fittings, flare, compression, etc, but maybe the one I bought is just defective.  Of course I would never rule out user error... ;-)
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Thu Feb 9, 2006, 8:22am

Well, I bought the gear needed for thos pressure guage last night, and tried it this morning. First I tried it with a regular basket in, and it sprayed water everywhere. Then I tried it without, really cranked the PF in there, and it shot water across the room. Both times from the PF gasket area, not the guage connection.

What could it be? My PF gasket is not too old. Is the guage faulty?
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Thu Feb 9, 2006, 8:39am

poison Said:

Well, I bought the gear needed for thos pressure guage last night, and tried it this morning. First I tried it with a regular basket in, and it sprayed water everywhere. Then I tried it without, really cranked the PF in there, and it shot water across the room. Both times from the PF gasket area, not the guage connection.

What could it be? My PF gasket is not too old. Is the guage faulty?

Posted February 9, 2006 link

I've never tried this on a Silvia. Do you ever backflush? If your machine does not spray water with the blind filter in place, it should not spray with a gauge, which blocks the flow just as completely. Your gauge could be faulty, but I don't see how this would impact on water spraying from around the gasket.

I've used this method on two machines (one is a different model Rancilio) using the PF without any basket in place, and never had leakage around the group head gasket. You will definitely get leakage between the PF and the gauge if you fail to wrap the PF and gauge threads with Teflon tape.
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > $10 portafilter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.501836061478)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+