Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Espresso vs. Gaggia Coffee deluxe refurb vs. Saeco Classico (aroma)
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Galactus

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2005, 1:55pm
Subject: Gaggia Espresso vs. Gaggia Coffee deluxe refurb vs. Saeco Classico (aroma)

Hi,
Ok, showed the wife these machines, and of course she likes the stainless steel better, but will let me decide.

I am leaning towards the basic black Gaggia Espresso machine for $200, and getting a decent $150-$200 grinder. I would also probably get the same grinder with the Saeco Classico as well.

wholelattelove also has a refurb Gaggia Coffee de Luxe for $262, which from what I understand only gets you a fancy frothing wand and a stainless steel exterior. Might be worth it for the stainless steel exterior, because my wife REALLY likes that look, and it would look great in the kitchen.

My ONE big concern is the amount of time we will dedicate to making a great shot. We both are kind of lazy in that aspect, and probably won't spend a great deal of time with the process (course, that could change). That's why a pressurized portafilter MIGHT not be such a bad deal?

So wondering if I should get a refurb Gaggia Coffee or just get the Gaggia Espresso (don't like the looks of the Carreza)?

Now that I am thinking of it, not a whole lot of people like the pressurized portafilter and seem to order the Saeco adapter. Probably a good reason for that  :)

Thanks,
g.
 View Profile Link to this post
krazy_crane
krazy_crane
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro(home), Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Super Jolly...
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Bodum French Press, Barista...
Roaster: Stir Crazy/Sunpentown...
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2005, 6:09pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Espresso vs. Gaggia Coffee deluxe refurb vs. Saeco Classico (aroma)

The question is, is the stainless exterior worth $62 to you/your significant other?  Cunil Tranquilo grinder makes an unbeatable pair at $398.

Kevin
neocelt

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Anfim Milano/Best, 2 Zass'
Drip: several cafetieres
Roaster: Mk II Poppery
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2005, 6:43pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Espresso vs. Gaggia Coffee deluxe refurb vs. Saeco Classico (aroma)

Just to clarify: The Gaggia Coffee Deluxe does not come in a stainless steel case; rather, the case is powder-coated steel in a metallic silver color (indeed, it's the only color the Deluxe model comes in). Quite attractive and much more resistant to fingerprints than SS. It also comes with a gizmo that enables the operator to froth milk that is being drawn directly out of its own container. Neat trick, if you're really into milk-based concoctions. What the Coffee Deluxe DOES NOT have is a three-way solenoid valve. This valve relieves pressure from the group head when the brew button is turned off, thus allowing immediate removal of the portafilter. The Classic and the Baby both have the solenoid valve, but not the Coffee (in the bog-standard or the souped-up Deluxe edition). Having said that, I owned a Coffee for 8 years and never experienced the dreaded portafilter "sneeze" that sprays coffee grounds all over. I've never heard a lucid explanation for this, but my hunch is that the Coffee does have a pressure-relief valve of some sort, just not a 3-way solenoid. The additional benefit of the latter is that you can more effectively clean your group head by back-flushing, but if you're only pulling a few shots a day, I suspect a reasonably attentive cleaning regimen and occasional de-scaling will do the trick. Since the Gaggia's boiler is aluminum, it is absolutely critical that you use filtered water (or at least some sort of soft water). Final note: If you surf around this site very much at all, you'll soon determine that the GRINDER is in fact more important than the machine. Spend as much as you can possibly afford on the grinder--as counter-intuitive as it might seem, you will be glad you did! Good luck and keep us posted...

Nick
Galactus

Posted Wed Dec 28, 2005, 11:19pm

Thanks. Yeah... about the plastic Gaggia Espresso base vs. the Coffee de Luxe, not sure if it is worth if for a first machine.

The more I compare the Saeco Aroma (black plastic refurb. at $225) vs. the Gaggia Espresso, I think the Saeco might be more our style for a first machine. The aluminum insides on the Gaggia MIGHT give us trouble, though we will try to use filtered water, and will try to keep it clean. The pressurized portafilter on the Saeco also might be a bonus for the wife, who is in a hurry when she comes home for a quick lunch and coffee.

We can always get a non-pressurized portafilter when its time, right?

I don't really see the need to get a stainless steel-looking (or whatever) machine for first time purchase right now.

And I am also looking at that Kitchen-aid $200 grinder... looks stellar!

g.
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Thu Dec 29, 2005, 8:10am

The Kitchen Aid grinder is fine for drip, unfortunately you want to make espresso.  Your $200.00 would be much better spent on a Cunill Tranquillo grinder.  As to the espresso machine, your best buy is the Gaggia Espresso.  Internally it is identical to the Careza and the Coffee and Coffee Deluxe.  With the Saeco pressurized PF you end up with a soupy mess in the PF.  The Gaggias give you a nice solid puck to knock out into the trash.  Two recommendations;  Gaggia Espresso and Cunill Tranquillo at $400.00 or Gaggia Espresso and Maximo grinder for $320.00.  Either combination will give you outstanding espresso.  You do need to get a tamper because the tamper that comes with the machine is a piece of junk that is better suited for use as a cat toy.

Fred
jsmn4vu

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Sunbeam
Roaster: FreshRoast +8
Posted Thu Dec 29, 2005, 8:22am

Fred1 Said:

The Kitchen Aid grinder is fine for drip, unfortunately you want to make espresso.

Posted December 29, 2005 link

I've heard this repeated here, and I'm wondering why, since Mark P. found that it would grind fine enough to choke his espresso machine, and the top-rated consumer reviewer uses his for turkish (finer than espresso).  

Could it be that the person who couldn't get a fine enough grind with the Kitchen Aid didn't use the secondary adjustment?
Galactus

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2005, 1:18pm

Fred1 Said:

The Kitchen Aid grinder is fine for drip, unfortunately you want to make espresso.   You do need to get a tamper because the tamper that comes with the machine is a piece of junk that is better suited for use as a cat toy.

Fred

Thanks. I am talking about the KitchenAid Pro Line Burr Coffee Grinder, which got a good "first look" on this site. I now see that someone has reviewed this grinder, so I will avoid it, because there is a problem with the grounds getting caught in the gearing. Bummer, since it is so beautiful.

Might go with the cheaper Maximo. My wife likes to grind our drip coffee, both decaf and regular, and we do have flavored decaf to grind as well.

thanks,
g.
jsmn4vu

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Sunbeam
Roaster: FreshRoast +8
Posted Thu Dec 29, 2005, 1:34pm

Galactus Said:

Might go with the cheaper Maximo. My wife likes to grind our drip coffee, both decaf and regular, and we do have flavored decaf to grind as well.

Ah...you really need two grinders, then.  Some flavors, you think will never dissipate (when you're grinding unflavored coffee).  Many folks have found that using unflavored beans and adding flavor syrup to the finished coffee is preferable to using flavored beans.
patricklang

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, KitchenAid...
Vac Pot: need one
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast 2, various...
Posted Thu Dec 29, 2005, 2:02pm

A few comments:
I bought a refurb Gaggia Classic for $195, it was well-loved, and professionally refurbished by a local shop.  The plastic parts show minor wear, and you should beware that the internal frame of the stainless Gaggias is regular steel.  Be very careful spilling water around it, especially when removing the tank, otherwise you'll end up with rust.  I think the three-way solenoid is a help for making multiple drinks, there is no water left on the puck, no mess.  I pull a shot, put the cup on the saucer, yank the portafilter, put hot water in the next cup, and tamp the next shot while the cup and machine heat.

I have been using Illy preground since I bought the machine a month ago, and will have a Baratza Virtuoso in a few days.  I'll post back with what I think of the combo, although I'm not an expert.  From what I've read, the Virtuoso has fewer problems with static than the Tranquillo, and my wife likes the look better.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.402298927307)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+