Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
new Quick Mill Vetrano - first shots
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > new Quick Mill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Feb 3, 2006, 11:14pm
Subject: Re: new Quick Mill Vetrano - first shots

RapidCoffee Said:

Thanks all. So far I really like this machine. One minor gripe so far: the drip tray is a bit short, and will be hard to plumb. Lots and lots of positives: good packaging by Chris & Co, great setup, brew temp and pressure are excellent right out of the box, easy to connect, love the no-burn wands, certainly more forgiving than my previous two HX machines. I've pulled less than a dozen shots on it, so these are just first impressions... but I believe they will hold up.

Posted December 21, 2005 link

6 week follow-up:
My initial reaction has held up quite well. Chris sent out a new drip tray, unasked for and free of charge, because he felt the old one was cut a bit low in back. I honestly don't see much difference. (And it's still on the short side - I hear that about the Bric too.) I went ahead and plumbed the drip tray to a drain line this week, and it wasn't as much of a PITA as I'd anticipated. My overall impressions of this machine remain very positive.

Here's a naked double from this evening:

RapidCoffee: IMG_0015.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
leoni
leoni
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera:BZ02SDE
Grinder: Mazzer Mini: black
Roaster: Bravi
Posted Fri Feb 3, 2006, 11:20pm

Any chance, this machine can be made without being plumed?

Enrico.
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 12:09am

leoni Said:

Any chance, this machine can be made without being plumed?

Enrico.

Posted February 3, 2006 link

Hi Enrico. Most machines with rotary pumps are designed to be directly plumbed to a water line. You can run them off an external water bottle, but it's best to provide line pressure with a Flojet pump. Others on this site can tell you more about this (e.g., JonR runs his Wega off a Flojet).

If you're interested in Quick Mill machines, you might consider the Anita and Andreja, also sold by Chris' Coffee. These machines share a number of design features with the Vetrano, but are pourover models with vibe pumps.

- John
slider
slider

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless, Knee...
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cona rod
Drip: 1 Cup Ceramic, Press
Roaster: SC/SO, iRoast1, iRoast 2
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 9:39am

Hi John,
From the pix you've already posted, I think the Vetrano is a beautiful.  Since my post I found Chris' Virtual showroom and got a sense of scale from the the Anita and the Andreja next to the Silvia.  I suppose if you were in a picture-taking-picture-posting kinda mood, I'd like to see the top of the machine loaded up with cups, again to get more scale.  The pix of shots I've seen take from this machine are really nice.  BTW, does a connection kit come with this machine?

This plan is so bad it must be one of ours!
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 12:45pm

slider Said:

Hi John,
From the pix you've already posted, I think the Vetrano is a beautiful.  Since my post I found Chris' Virtual showroom and got a sense of scale from the the Anita and the Andreja next to the Silvia.  I suppose if you were in a picture-taking-picture-posting kinda mood, I'd like to see the top of the machine loaded up with cups, again to get more scale.  The pix of shots I've seen take from this machine are really nice.  BTW, does a connection kit come with this machine?

Posted February 4, 2006 link

The Vetrano comes with a braided hose that screws into the rear of the machine, with a 3/8" John Guest fitting on the other end. You push a 3/8" water line into this and voila! it's connected. If you've only got a 1/4" line (e.g., an icemaker hookup), get a 3/8"-1/4" John Guest adaptor at your local hardware store. 3/8" is recommended but I haven't noticed any cavitation with a 1/4" line. Depending on water hardness and water line pressure, you may want to add a water filter, water softener, and pressure regulator - but the machine will work with a very simple hookup.

Chris also includes a drip tray drain hose. Plumbing the drip tray is optional (but convenient). IMHO, the drip tray is not one of Vetrano's strong points. It's a cool design that allows you to easily remove the tray for cleaning, even when plumbed. But do read Dan Kehn's notes on HB - the drain hole enters from the side of the tray, not the bottom, so it doesn't drain completely. My drain hose has a horizontal run into the sink, and sometimes doesn't start draining on its own until it's rather full (some sort of air lock?).

Anyway, here's the Vetrano, loaded up with all sorts of espresso paraphernalia. That's a Mazzer SJ in the background left.

RapidCoffee: Vetrano6b.jpg
(Click for larger image)
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 12:46pm

Of course, while I had the camera out I had to take some more pix. :-)

RapidCoffee: IMG_0013a.JPG
(Click for larger image)
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 12:47pm

Later in the pour:

RapidCoffee: IMG_0015a.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 12:58pm

RapidCoffee Said:

That's a Mazzer SJ in the background left.

What's that on top where the jug... er, hopper should be?

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 1:17pm

Psyd Said:

What's that on top where the jug... er, hopper should be?

Haha. I was hoping nobody would notice that! It's a used TagEx special, no hopper, repainted an ugly battleship gray. I removed the doser, and added a PVC bean hopper. A local firm has agreed to strip the paint the next time a big soda blasting job comes in. One of these days I hope to figure out a more aesthetic solution to the bean hopper problem. Actually, the PVC works quite well - it's about the right size, and the lid acts like a mini-plunger.
slider
slider

Espresso: Vetrano
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless, Knee...
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cona rod
Drip: 1 Cup Ceramic, Press
Roaster: SC/SO, iRoast1, iRoast 2
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 5:49pm

RapidCoffee Said:

Later in the pour:

Now you're just teasing me.

I emailed Chris a few days back and I don't want to divulge too much as I'm sure he will post it when he's ready, but he did indicate that he is working on the DB, but not with Quick Mill.  He's given me enough information for me to hold off a bit, though it won't be for the $1500 price tag he was originally hoping to come in at.  For anyone who has been following Chris' DB posts with QM, this really should not surprise anyone.  There are a lot of little details with the S1 and Brewtus II that have deterred me from considering either one of these.  Even if Chris' hard work pays off, there is a savings with the Vetrano and I'll weight the pro's and con's then.  I don't know why he has not posted anything yet, but I'm guessing it's b/c things did not work out with DB by QM and before he starts getting people's hopes up.  Or, he could just be that busy.  

Anyways John, you're machine is a gem and thanks for the extra pix.

Dan

This plan is so bad it must be one of ours!
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > new Quick Mill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.515110969543)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+