Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Zaffiro thermostat upgrade
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Zaffiro...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
bolojm
bolojm
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Amica (PIDed)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: none
Drip: French Press, on occasion
Roaster: I-roast, unassembled SC/CO
Posted Tue Dec 20, 2005, 7:47am
Subject: Re: Zaffiro thermostat upgrade

You won't be sorry. Adjusting the temperature with the PID is great...and as long as you aren't pulling many shots quickly, your shouldn't have issues with the E61 overheating. I've had nothing but luck with my setup.

By the way, I sent my old thermostat to Mark Prince (the "new improved" one used in the current machines) and he said that it looks beefier and more reliable than the old one, but it still suffers from the 10 degree deadband issue.
 View Profile Link to this post
DanLicks
DanLicks

Espresso: Zaffiro
Grinder: Solis 166 (tweaked)
Drip: NEVER!
Posted Mon Jan 9, 2006, 5:42am

I have put in the minco controler in my Zaff. Works great. Big improvement. Heats for 18 seconds, rests for 2:45. Boiler temp stays within +/- 1.8C (compared to +/- 8 from before!). The controler itsself is very quick and accurate. The real issue is that the boiler and heating elements are so big that even when the minco shuts off after 0.5 of heating, there is still about 3 of overshoot. My thermometer is shot so I can't give you and brewhead readings, but my guess is that they are within the +/- .7C range. I can dial in the temp from the top to within 1/10 with a little set knob from an old alarm clock.
I think the Minco would work really well in a smaller machine. For something as "big" as a Zaff, if one really wants to be exact, then PID would be the way to go, but I feel that the Minco is easily good enough for us "normal" users. So far I have not missed a shot, which says a lot for a stock Zaffiro.
More later when I get a new theromometer.
Dan

LATER:
Here are a few measurements on a warmed up idle machine:

minco temp diagram.xls
DanLicks
DanLicks

Espresso: Zaffiro
Grinder: Solis 166 (tweaked)
Drip: NEVER!
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 3:22pm

and in comparison to the standard P.O.S. Prodogy t-stat...

DanLicks: MINCO ZAFF.gif
(Click for larger image)
dookie

Espresso: zaffiro
Grinder: vario
Vac Pot: press
Drip: generic
Roaster: counter culture
Posted Tue Oct 19, 2010, 6:05am

back from the dead, big time...i know.  i can't seem to find the personal message/email link, or i'd have contacted dan directly...

i would greatly appreciate any pointers on minco parts sourcing.  a bit of googling has me scratching my head.  also, is there a PID 'kit' for the Z available from anyone, or is it still a homebrew arrangement?

my Z is dead...no heat.  still trying to pin it down exactly (both thermofuses have continuity, as does the t-stat, 8ohms across the heater terminals)...but while i have the machine open, i'd like to do a little maintenance/tweaking.  pump replacement (7 year old CEME!), pipe insulation, better t-stat, more reliable thermofuses, etc.

any suggestions?
thx.
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Tue Oct 19, 2010, 6:54am

dookie Said:

also, is there a PID 'kit' for the Z available from anyone, or is it still a homebrew arrangement?

Posted October 19, 2010 link

This kit from Chris Coffee is for the Alexia, but can probably be used with nothing more than minor modifications on the Zaffiro.  This assumes that your Zaff's boiler has a 6mm thermowell currently containing the bulb for a capillary thermostat.  It also assumes you can find places to mount the PID controller and the SSR inside the machine.

(Disclosure:  my company builds and sells those kits to Chris Coffee).

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Tue Oct 19, 2010, 1:35pm

dookie Said:

my Z is dead...no heat.  still trying to pin it down exactly (both thermofuses have continuity, as does the t-stat, 8ohms across the heater terminals)...but while i have the machine open, i'd like to do a little maintenance/tweaking.  pump replacement (7 year old CEME!), pipe insulation, better t-stat, more reliable thermofuses, etc.

Probably time to open up the boiler. It may be coated with limescale and have a dead heating element. I'm a former Zaffiro owner. My machine had a deluxe PID upgrade: Bionic Zaffiro.
dookie

Posted Wed Oct 20, 2010, 2:01pm

MarshallF Said:

Probably time to open up the boiler. It may be coated with limescale and have a dead heating element. I'm a former Zaffiro owner. My machine had a deluxe PID upgrade: Bionic Zaffiro.

really?  even with continuity & 8ohms resistance across the coil terminals?
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 4:51pm

dookie Said:

really?  even with continuity & 8ohms resistance across the coil terminals?

Posted October 20, 2010 link

Wait, you've been running simultaneous threads here and on H-B. I never would have suggested the scale issue (although it could also be happening), if you'd posted the photo of the burnt connector here. Please avoid wasting people's time with duplicate threads.
dookie

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 5:25pm

Wait...asking the same question on two completely unaffiliated forums is wasting peoples' time?

Sorry to have bothered you. Send me a bill.

I'm just trying to get my machine back up and running. God forbid it cost anyone the time it takes to read this. I mean, we all have our priorities, eh?
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 7:01pm

MarshallF Said:

Wait, you've been running simultaneous threads here and on H-B. I never would have suggested the scale issue (although it could also be happening), if you'd posted the photo of the burnt connector here. Please avoid wasting people's time with duplicate threads.

Posted October 21, 2010 link

I wish the "cross posting police" would stop wasting my time. I don't read H-B.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Zaffiro...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.480685949326)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+