Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Increasing pressure on my Astra GAP
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Increasing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tina

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2005, 11:11am
Subject: Increasing pressure on my Astra GAP

So...the steps to do it would be...

:-)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
krazy_crane
krazy_crane

Espresso: Astra Pro(home), Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Super Jolly...
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Bodum French Press, Barista...
Roaster: Stir Crazy/Sunpentown...
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2005, 12:05pm
Subject: Re: Increasing pressure on my Astra GAP

I am going to imagine it is similar to the Astra Pro.  For the first time remove back panel/ cup warmer tray.  At the top of machine you should see round p-stat hooked to the top of the boiler, it will have a small adjustment screw on top should have "+" and "-" marked, move in small increments.

Kevin
 View Profile Link to this post
tina

Posted Fri Nov 25, 2005, 12:31pm

NO WAY!  That sounds just way too simple!!  COOL!!!!!!!!  :-)

Thanks Kevin!!  :-)

I'll be trying it later today as I am forcing myself to sit in my chair and enter a YEAR"S worth of historical transactions for the biz into my quickbooks...which I just set up.

Oh the joy....*NOT!*  :-D
rcs914
rcs914

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Fri Nov 25, 2005, 5:33pm

Well, the Gourmet has a Sirai pressurestat rather than the smaller (ceme or mater)  one that the Pro has (at least it sounds like one of those from what Kevin described).  At least this is the case with mine, but it is 10 years old.  The cover is very easy to get off, and then it is still an easy adjustement with a screwdriver.  IIRC, it is pretty clearly marked with a + or -  as to direction.

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Motorcyclegeek

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Gourmet
Grinder: Looking...probably Macap M4
Drip: Bodum French Press
Posted Sat Nov 26, 2005, 7:04pm

Tina, what year is your GAP? Is it common to have to adjust the pressurestat?

I'm getting my used Astra GAP on Mon and I can't wait but I'm a bit nervous on what I'll need to do to it. Maybe nothing??

I just got done updating my computer accounting system for 3 months worth of data what I pain so I can relate. It's nice to have it though

Colleen
tina

Posted Sat Nov 26, 2005, 8:18pm

Mine's brand spankin' new!  Actually only like 3 weeks old!  :-)

If I was using it solely for home use, I wouldn't have to do anything to it.  BUT, I am using it for my espresso catering business, so I am 'working it' by making one drink after another, not to mention chais and americanos (uses hot water...big drain on the pressure).

I had this prob with my other machine (a conti...hooks up to a water system for my bigger events - the astra is a pourover and I plan on using it for my smaller events...under 50 people).  the conti issue was fixed by simply adjusting the pressure up...so, I'm gonna see if this is also the simple fix (hopefully!) for the astra to be able to 'keep up' with me  ;-)
tina

Posted Sat Nov 26, 2005, 8:20pm

If the Astra can't keep up, I'm gonna be soooooooo disappointed!  I LOVE that machine!!!

The chick at Astra said, however, that this thing is a 'workhorse'...so I'm pretty confident that it will keep up!!!!  And a 4.2 litre boiler for a pourover!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  :-)
SquareH

Espresso: AstraPro
Drip: Old Mr. Coffee/Melitta/Press...
Posted Tue Nov 29, 2005, 9:56am

Hi Tina:

I dropped the following on the tail end of the other thread--maybe it's better here:

If the machine is hot to begin with (ours stays on all the time) is should "keep up" without a problem. Since you're having problems with your new GAP and your old machine ( I don't remember what that was, sorry) it leads me to speculate about other possible causes.

If it starts out cold and you start pulling shots and steaming milk as soon as the pressure rises it may never be able to really reach proper operating temperature. Basically, it starts out in a hole and stays there. When I operate remote with my Pro, I either get there early enough to let it warm up thoroughly or I "pre-warm" it by running it at home before I setup.

Another possible cause of problems is running off an extension cord. If you are, it should be at least as heavy as the cord coming out of the Astra (something like 1/2' diameter) and only as long as absolutely necessary. Thin, long cords result in a voltage drop which will decrease your machine's performance. Voltage drops will also burn up electical motors since they draw more amps at lower voltage which will eventually heat them up and burn them out.

If you need a "real" extension cord, try an electrical supply place that caters to commercial -industrial accounts or an RV store. they should be able to make up a cord for you. It wouldn't hurt to have a GFI outlet on the cord too.

FYI: Here are some timing tests from my GAP.

1) Steam wand open: it ran for 5 minutes without dropping below 1 bar. I think this is steady state or pretty close. Recovery to element off took slightly less than 60 seconds. It overshot the normal idle boiler pressure of 16.5 psi (18 or so).

2) Steam wand open, pump running water out the group head continously for 3 minutes without the dropping below 1 bar.  I suspect this is steady state too. I could have gone longer but got bored waiting for a drop. Recovery to element off took less than 80 seconds.

3) Steam wand open, boiler tap wide open. This ran for 90 seconds and dumped nearly a quart of water before the pressure dropped. Pretty harsh duty.  Recovery to element off took 110 seconds.

Steady state performance (1&2) is a function of the heating element--2000 watts in the GAP. For situation 3, the boiler size contributes too. Raising the pressurestat setting is a little like increasing the boiler size--it will help a little for the non-steady state situation but shouldn't have any impact on a true steady state situation.  If you need more performance than this, I suspect that you'll either need multiple machines or a 240 volt rig. 2000 watts, btw, is pretty much as large as you can go from a standard 20A/120V circuit  so that's the upper limit for a portable catering setup.

Hal
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Tue Nov 29, 2005, 12:05pm

Hal,
That's pretty impressive performance.  I've not done these tests on my Astra Gourmet, but I have never lost pressure, and this machine seems to have power to spare.  Rob
tina

Posted Tue Nov 29, 2005, 1:11pm

Wow!  Thanks Hal!!  I will have an opportunity to test the machine in a different location other than the church when I take it to a gig on the 7th of December.  I'll be mostly cognizant of the warm up time as I was aware of the other issues, but thought once it was up to pressure, it was set to go.  (which it is for A drink, but not 15 in a row  :-D

I'll let you know how it turns out!!!!!

thanks again!

Tina
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Increasing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422314167023)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+