Espresso: Espresso Machines
LaCimbali Junior grinder doserless mod
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LaCimbali Junior...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II, Estro Profi
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr., Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual
Drip: PrestoScand, Newco OCS-8,...
Roaster: UFO/TO, I-Roast Pumper,...
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 1:11pm
Subject: LaCimbali Junior grinder doserless mod

Just received my Junior from Chris Coffee today and am wondering if any owners have removed the doser assembly? It looks like the whole unit comes off easily from what I can see. Two screws on the bottom and I imagine two screws up top inside? (can't see any top screws - internal?)
I actually would just like to remove the internal fins, etc and leave the outside case intact. Anyone done that?
Does the internal assembly come out intact or in pieces? I would then fabricate a chute down to the already existing exit hole on the doser. This would leave the doser cover intact to cover up the modification.
 View Profile Link to this post
rcs914
rcs914
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 1:29pm
Subject: Re: LaCimbali Junior grinder doserless mod

Why?  I mean seriously, why do you want to make it doserless?  To be quite honest, the Cimbali doser is one of the best there is, and leaves almost no coffee behind, plus it drops straight down, without the annoying "throw to the left" that the mazzers have.  The only mod that is really necessary is removing the finger guard so that you can brush out the path from the burrs to where it exits.  This can store several grams of coffee if it's not brushed out regularly.   The mod that you are thinking about would store LOTS of coffee in it, with no easy way of brushing out the grind chamber exit.

Having had my grinder completely disassembled, I don't really think there is an easy way to do this mod, especially if you want it to be reversible.  That doser assembly attaches to the front face of the grinder.  You would have to remove the entire shell, and then see what you could do otherwise.  From what I remember, it wouldn't be all that easy.

rcs914: Grinder brush2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 1:38pm

Haha..
I knew the first response would be why. :)
Why? Why not? :)
I know it's supposed to be the cleanest of all the dosers, but it still seems to leave alot of grinds behind and I really don't feel like vacuuming it all the time.
I have in mind something like a recent poster did on their Mazzer Major. (I think it was a Major anyway...) Where they fabricated from sheet metal and had a top lid over the exit shoot on a hinge, so it could be raised up for easy cleaning of the exit shute. Looks like it worked great and with the Junior it looks like it could be done with leaving the outside of the doser intact, thus covering up the work.
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 1:43pm

Honestly, it makes no sense.
I can (kind of) understand modifying one of the Mazzers given their crappy dosers. But I don't see the value of doing so with the Cimbali.

Not to be harsh, but if you wanted a doserless grinder, it would have made more sense to buy the Mini and modify it. It's a cheaper grinder and 90% of the problems with it (as compared to the Cimbali) have to do with the doser.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 2:49pm

rcs914 Said:

The only mod that is really necessary is removing the finger guard so that you can brush out the path from the burrs to where it exits.

Posted October 28, 2005 link

BTW, how did you remove the finger guard? I don't want to snap it off. Do you have to loosen the whole doser assembly first? I kind of tried to just pry it up, but am afraid it will snap off.
SkyRyders90

Espresso: LM GS/3
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 2:55pm

malachi Said:

It's a cheaper grinder and 90% of the problems with it (as compared to the Cimbali) have to do with the doser.

This implies that you think there are some other, non-doser problems with the Cimbali. Not to hijack the thread, but what are they?

-- Steve

All of life’s big problems include the words ‘indictment’ or ‘inoperable’ - everything else is small stuff. -- AB
rcs914
rcs914

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 3:05pm

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans Said:

BTW, how did you remove the finger guard? I don't want to snap it off. Do you have to loosen the whole doser assembly first? I kind of tried to just pry it up, but am afraid it will snap off.

Yeah, you can't just pry it out.  There are two screws holding it in that you can only access by removing the hopper, then removing the adjustment ring.  It was easy for me, because my grinder was already completely dissasembled.  I had bought it off of ebay, and had to have the bearings replaced, as they were totally worn out.  So I had the entire face off of the grinder in order to remove it.   Basically you have to start by removing the hopper, then the ring with the numbers on it.  Below this is the actual adjustment ring, with gear teeth, that is moved when you adjust the dial.  Then you will see one screw, iirc, that holds on a plastic piece with two prongs.  This needs to be removed.  From there, it may be possible to now pry it out.

To be honest, this isn't an easy job, since it basically requires that you strip the entire grinder.  I had forgotten how difficult it was, starting from scratch.  I think I recall it being a pain to pry that piece out, even though I had the entire face of the grinder, separated from the rest of the grinder.  You have to remove wires to be able to do this, as two of the large capacitors are attached to this front piece.

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
malachi
malachi

Espresso: Monster Mia (for now)_
Grinder: Monster Cimballi Junior
Vac Pot: Not any more
Drip: never
Roaster: Ecco, Stumptown, Intelli,...
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 3:14pm

SkyRyders90 Said:

This implies that you think there are some other, non-doser problems with the Cimbali. Not to hijack the thread, but what are they?

Actually, it implies that there are other, non-doser problems with the Mazzer.
But then again, there are problems with every grinder made.
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 3:17pm

rcs914 Said:

To be honest, this isn't an easy job, since it basically requires that you strip the entire grinder.  Chris

Chris
Hhhmmm... me thinks I may just snap the tab off. I may try partial diss-assembly first and see for myself how much of a pain it is.
Thanks.
champignon
champignon

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr. DT/1 Rotary;...
Grinder: 2 Cimbali Jr. Grinders; 1...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 3; Hario Deco 5;...
Drip: Melita cone, used during...
Roaster: 1lb Gas Fired Drum Sample...
Posted Fri Oct 28, 2005, 6:27pm

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans Said:

Chris
Hhhmmm... me thinks I may just snap the tab off. I may try partial diss-assembly first and see for myself how much of a pain it is.
Thanks.

I would not do this, especially to a new grinder in perfect condition.  Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, you can easily clean the chute behind the finger guard without removing the guard.  Secondly, why modify a brand new piece of equipment that does not need to be modified?

Chris is correct, in that the doser chute from the grinding chamber collects grinds.  This is no different than any other grinder and is explained by the natural tendency of grinds to clump.  In order to clean this chute all you need to do is to use a chop stick and come in from the sides.  I clean this chute at least weekly and it takes about 45 seconds total to come in once from one side and then the other.  You can use the chop stick to sweep around and to fully clean the chute.  The grinds will end up in the doser.  You can then either vacuum them up with a small hand vac or you can use a grinder brush to encourage their discharge through doser action.

I have been doing this for years with my Cimbali Jr. grinders.  I can think of no reason to risk damaging one of these grinders as I sincerely doubt that removal of the finger guard will allow significantly better chute cleaning than I can do within half a minute with the doser guard in place, using a chopstick.

ken
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LaCimbali Junior...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.485320091248)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+