Espresso: Espresso Machines
LaCimbali Junior grinder doserless mod
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LaCimbali Junior...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II, Estro Profi
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr., Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual
Drip: PrestoScand, Newco OCS-8,...
Roaster: UFO/TO, I-Roast Pumper,...
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 1:16am
Subject: Re: LaCimbali Junior grinder doserless mod

Okay, I get the drift. :)  I still think that I am going to do the mod eventually to doserless as I have a really good idea to make it work, but I am going to just try the vacuum method for now. I picked up a small hand vac with small hose attachment that works well.
Ken, I think that a pipe cleaner would probably work better than a chopstick as it can be bent to get around the plastic tab to access the chute and has some bristles on it as well.

I have made a little tool though. I have removed the little plastic well in the bean hopper and made up a little tamper that is just perfect to keep the beans from hopping around when you grind just for a shot as I intend to do.
I picked up the parts from Lowes tonight. Photos below for those interested.
 View Profile Link to this post
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 1:30am

a 3/4"x4" inch pvc pipe and 2 rubber chair tips. (1 1/8")
I will fill with lead fishing weights (to give it some weight so it doesn't bounce around in the hopper when I am not holding it) and glue the rubber ends on.

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans: Bean Tamp 5.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 1:38am

Assembled.

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans: Bean Tamp 8.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 1:48am

The empty hopper.

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans: Bean Tamp 7.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 1:53am

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans: Bean Tamp 10.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 1:53am

Bean tamper in the empty hopper. Rubber ends are JUST the right size to slide through. You can leave it sitting this way when empty and put on the hopper lid.

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans: Bean Tamp 10.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 2:01am

Here's the rubber chair tips. I misplaced my receipt, but it was under $2.00 and the pipe was someting like 26 cents.

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans: Bean Tamp 12.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SamuraiE

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21/S1
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.
Vac Pot: several / Atomic, too
Drip: yes
Roaster: Hottop baby!
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2005, 6:50pm

OK, would like to comment on this. I removed my finger guard, just pulled it out of the hopper. Next I snapped off the little plastic guard directly in front of the doser chute, it was seriously in the way and didn't seem to serve much purpose. That was a mistake, IMHO, as that small piece seems to have served the function of directing the spray of the grinds down into the doser as well as serving as device to limit the amount of static in the grind. With the piece gone my grinds shot, like a rocket, up and to the left, hitting the very top of the doser guard, was much better before. OH well, at least cleaning the chute is much easier now.

Now for the kicker: Do not attempt to mod this grinder's doser unless you are a total idiot..........(Yes, I am an idiot). First off I have to say that this grinder seems to have numerous areas where beans and grinds can escape the grinding area. The hopper itself has gaps which prevent a perfect fit into the grind chamber. When I took my grinder apart a few days ago I found beans throughout the machine and worse yet A LOT of mold behind the doser and on beans stuck in next to the motor, etc.

It is very wet and humid here in southern Kyushu, Japan...sure that didn't help the mold issue, but come on, who wants a machine full of mold (and my machine is only 6 months old and isn't used more than once a day....imagine the inside of your machine in say, a year or two.......yuck!). Beans and grinds escape under and around the lame plastic chamber lever which is supposed to seal the beans to be grinded from those in the waiting area of the grinder. As someone who only grinds for one espresso at a time the hopper is pretty much useless, it was removed months ago.....Jr. works well without it and cleans up much easier....only down side is astectically the grinder looks much worse.

On to the doser....don't mess with this guy!!! I wanted to mod it....just don't need a doser when I am making only 2 drinks a session. Everything comes off with a little effort. I wanted to pull the entire doser unit off and go from there. Well, unlike other machines the doser on Jr. is spot welded to the frame itself. Sure the plastic doser chamber and the doser sweeper mechanism both easily slip out of the frame but the doser metal frame cover (that big round curve on the front of the machine) cannot be detached AT ALL!

Also, the wires running to the small (red) plastic on/off light must be cut in order to totally remove the entire front panel (still not sure how I will be that puppy back together). Clearly the La Cimbali company does not want a bunch of idiots (my right arm is raised) messing with their product.

It gets worse.....the doser handle which dispenses the grinds has somehow magically managed to have had the front panel build around it so that it cannot be slid out of the front panel (think little toy ship which was built in a bottle). Only way to remove that bad boy it to grap a hacksaw and cut right through it (Yes, I did that, too.....I'm.....stupid...........stupid, stupid,stupi!).

Lucky for me my Japanese friend has a small metal parts factory. I will ask him to fabricate a doser chute and just go doserless....but man, what a process.

To review, go ahead and remove the entire hopper, no worries. I like your little chamber plunger, even better is the clear, see-through $1.00 form fitting bottle cover I picked up which sets perfectly on top of the grind chamber and allows you to see into the grind area during the grind.

But leave that doser alone!

Nowhere to go and feeling groovy!
mauricem

Espresso: La Cimbali Junior
Grinder: La Cimbali Cadet
Roaster: Heat gun
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2005, 4:47pm

I recall seeing a pictorial guide to tearing down a cimbali junior grinder a while ago, does anybody have a link to such a beast?
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans
Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans

Posted Wed Nov 2, 2005, 12:09am

mauricem Said:

I recall seeing a pictorial guide to tearing down a cimbali junior grinder a while ago, does anybody have a link to such a beast?

Posted October 30, 2005 link

I would really like to see that as well.
As an aside, I found the PERFECT brush to clean out the grinds exit chamber on the Cimbali that can't be reached because of the protecting plastic tab in the way.  It is a cleaning brush for a meat bulb baster. (cleans the inside of the basting tube) It has a bendable wire handle with a cone shaped tapered fairly stiff bristled brush. The brush part itself is about 4" long and it fits perfectly between the notch on the plastic guard tab. Cleans it out perfectly and quickly. I am using immediately after grinding my shot and before I dose it into my cup. That way ALL the beans I ground make it into my cup.  I had been using a pipe cleaner and thought it was doing all right, but the brush, being tapered is perfect and the perfect size to fill the hole all the way to the back and pull out all the captured grounds in a single pull or two. I first tried the pipe cleaner as good as I could do it and then tried the brush and it pulled out an additional 2 to 3 grams of ground coffee that the pipe cleaner didn't get. I can definitely recommend it to any Junior owners. I will post a few photos if anyone is interested in seeing it?

Osama_Bin_Bakin_Beans: Osama.jpg
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LaCimbali Junior...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413089036942)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+