Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quality Issues with new Silvias
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quality Issues...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Frescard
Frescard
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (Rancilio Silvia)
Grinder: La Cimbali MD6
Vac Pot: Brikka
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2005, 8:48pm
Subject: Quality Issues with new Silvias

After using a Silvia for about two months I recently returned mine because of serious rust buildup.

The cause of the rust was a total lack of rust-proofing (other than a thin coat of paint), a leaky pump and an overpressure valve that was shooting water all over the inside of the machine.

All of these seemed to be rather symptomatic issues pointing towards a lack of proper quality control (and quality-oriented design), rather than a random irregularity.

When I contacted my dealer he confirmed those suspicions, and described Rancilio as a company with a take it or leave it attitude who doesn't give a damn about quality issues. He stated that the only reason he is carrying the Silvia is because the huge demand for it, coming from sites like these. But he, dealing with their commercial and consumer machines day in, day out, finds them quite overpriced and would much rather sell any other machine than Rancilios...

Could it be that the good image Rancilio (and especially their Silvia) has, is actually a thing of the past? Did they perhaps have a truly outstanding machine a few years ago, but now they're just shooting for the quantity?
All the serious good reviews we're seeing are things that were written many years ago. Those early "discoverers" of the Silvia have since moved on to bigger and better things. But are those fond memories that they have of their Silvia still justified? Or is Rancilio right now having a serious case of resting on their laurels?

(A complete account of my experiences, with lots of photos, is available here.)

Frescard: rustmed.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Thu Oct 6, 2005, 10:26pm
Subject: Re: Quality Issues with new Silvias

I have owned my Silvia for about a couple of years.  The fit of all the parts has been OK and the machine has given me no grief as far as functioning.

As far as rust is concerned it is an other story.  When the machine was approaching about one year in age rust spots started to appear.  It is an ugly sight now.  The machine still works fine but I really need to dissemble it an have the main frame refinished.  Some time back I took the machine to a metal finishing shop to get their idea on how to procede.  The machine was already out of warrenty.

Their assesment of the cause of the problem was the sharp edges of the steel frame.  They said the finish was probably powder coat but no finish can survive the stress of the sharp edges.

The plan is I will dissasemble the machine and take the steel frame to them.  They will bead blast it, then I will pick it up.  I will then chamfer all the sharp edges with a file and braze the seams so water can't collect in them.  I will then return the frame to them and they will bead blast it again and powder coat it.

I have delayed because I did not want to be without it.  Now that I have the back-up Tonic machine (and the Presso) I think I can find a way to live without it for a while.

I have most of my PID components so I  plan do the PID mod at the same time as the restoration.  I will do a  "breadboard" installation first and try it out.  Then I'll do all the required drilling before the refinishing.

I can't say I have regrets about buying this machine, as it has served me well, however if I were buying a machine now knowing what I know I would buy something else.  At the new price of the Silvia I would look at the Isomac Venus.  It is supposed to have a stainless frame.

Phil

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frescard
Frescard

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 1:58pm

Yeah, I had read your (and other people's) description of their Silvia's rust development, and that certainly wasn't something I was looking forward to.

To me it is just totally unfathomable how someone can build a machine that's constantly exposed to water, and not give a sh*t about its rust withstanding capabilities.
Reighlok
Reighlok
Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 2:07pm

I am so glad this issue was raised just hours after I ordered my new silvia....
PJK
PJK

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 4:14pm

I know I posted something about this around a year ago.

I know it is possible to use Google to search these forums but I forgot how.

If someone can tell me how again I will find the post and write down the steps for the Google search so I will not forget again.

Phil

Reighlok Said:

I am so glad this issue was raised just hours after I ordered my new silvia....

Posted October 7, 2005 link

Philip J. Keleshian
Frescard
Frescard

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 4:57pm

Call Google with the arguments "/search?as_sitesearch=www.coffeegeek.com&as_q=silvia+rust"
CMCM

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario (retired the...
Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 10:11pm

Well, this is certainly a distressing thing to read at this point in time.  I did tons of reading about Silvia prior to buying a couple of months ago.  This is the first time I've read such negative things about rust and this is most upsetting.  So how about you other long-time Silvia owners...fess up, what have you observed about the rust issue?  Why has this not been discussed before now?
PJK
PJK

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 11:11pm

I actually tried cutting and pasting this into Google.  Still no happyness.

Phil

Frescard Said:

Call Google with the arguments "/search?as_sitesearch=www.coffeegeek.com&as_q=silvia+rust"

Philip J. Keleshian
PJK
PJK

Posted Fri Oct 7, 2005, 11:30pm

I feel your pain but this was discussed about a year ago.  I think I started the string.

Phil

CMCM Said:

Well, this is certainly a distressing thing to read at this point in time.  I did tons of reading about Silvia prior to buying a couple of months ago.  This is the first time I've read such negative things about rust and this is most upsetting.  So how about you other long-time Silvia owners...fess up, what have you observed about the rust issue?  Why has this not been discussed before now?

Philip J. Keleshian
mmm_crema
mmm_crema
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000
Grinder: Compak K3 touch
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Gas-wok-heat gun 1 lb...
Posted Sat Oct 8, 2005, 4:21am

CMCM Said:

So how about you other long-time Silvia owners...fess up, what have you observed about the rust issue?  Why has this not been discussed before now?

Well, I don't think I quite qualify as a "long term" Silvia owner, but after 11 months of daily use and regular cleaning I cannot complain about any quality issues at all. Although it is news to me about the rust problem . . . probably not very common or else it would have been reported in CG more often.

Emil
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quality Issues...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453143835068)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+