Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
IS there a reason not to buy Wega Mininova
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > IS there a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
FXDXT
FXDXT
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid
Vac Pot: Sunbean
Drip: Vac: Royal Balance Brewer
Roaster: RK Drum Roaster/Hottop
Posted Tue Aug 5, 2003, 6:38pm
Subject: IS there a reason not to buy Wega Mininova

There is al ways a lot of advice given on what machines to buy. What I am looking for is a valid reason not to buy the Mininova. Casa Del Caffe is selling it for 1999.00 Can. (US dollars it is around $1430.00 plus another $100.00 for shipping). Thatís the best price Iíve seen on the web. Iíve had my Silvia for 4 plus years now. Most of the mods have been done, PID, pressure adjustment, HD Portafilter. The Mininova just looks to good to pass up. (Yes I have up grade fever)

I drink milk-based drinks most of the time so a Heat Exchange machine will help in the area immensely. The other problem is that I live close enough to Stumptown to use their beans and drink their espresso. The Silvia just canít compete in this department. Will the Wega Mininova compare any better??? I would think it would.

You thoughts on this would be much appreciated

Tom

http://www.casadelcaffe.com/cesp.htm
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Tue Aug 5, 2003, 7:13pm
Subject: Re: IS there a reason not buy Wega Mininova

The real question: Is there a reason not to buy an HX machine?  With the modifications you've made to Silvia, your straight shots are hard to beat.  I never PID'd Silvia before upgrading, but Mike Walsh (CupaJoeKid) pulled some shots from his and they were excellent.  I have a new appreciation for temperature control.

OTOH, having recently gotten an HX machine, I agree that steam on demand is a big bonus.  I'm perhaps not a good person to ask.  I upgraded, inline plumbed, and put in a drain.  No refilling, no emptying driptrays, just pull and steam.  Funny thing is, adding the drainline was probably the biggest "bang for the buck" in terms of improving my enjoyment of preparing my daily espresso / latte.  It cost only about $20 in plumbing and a short half day's work.  Go figure.  

When it comes to milk-based drinks, Silvia already steams a very good microfoam.  La Valentina is definitely better in terms of consistency and the steam is a lot drier (no sputter, no huge "hills and valleys" of steaming strength, and no waiting).  Nonetheless, I believe it is more about convenience than side-by-side superiority of one result over another.  The bottom line: How much are you willing to pay for convenience?  For me it was a big splurge and one that I worked a lot of overtime to pay for (if you have trouble sleeping tonight <g>, read the article that helped pay for La Valentina by clicking here).  

-- Dan

PS: I considered the Wega Lyra and a few other machines before deciding on La Valentina; I noted why I didn't go with some of them here.  Truth be told, I think the differences get almost too subtle at the pricepoint you're considering.  In the end, there's a lot of subjectiveness.

www.home-barista.com
FXDXT
FXDXT

Posted Tue Aug 5, 2003, 8:27pm

The biggest difference I see between the 2 machines is that the Wega has a rotary pump.
For about the same price minus the shipping.

Tom
HB

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2003, 3:17am

fxdxt Said:

The biggest difference I see between the 2 machines is that the Wega has a rotary pump.

Posted August 6, 2003 link

According to espressoparts.com, the rotary pump is an additional $690.  It looks like an impressive machine.  I like that it can be direct plumbed w/o modification.  The reviews are very positive.

-- Dan

HB: mininova.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
Chipps
Chipps
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Nova, Silvia, Pavoni
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed Aug 6, 2003, 5:01am

Dan, after having a look at that article you wrote, I'd say that you deserve whatever coffee machine you want... :-)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
FXDXT
FXDXT

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2003, 8:25am

Please check the link below Casa Del Caffe is selling a fully automatic/rotary pump machine for about $1400.00. This is more than 600.00 cheaper than Espresso parts NW.
The Mininova at Casa Del Caffe looks more like a Lyra
http://www.casadelcaffe.com/cesp.htm

Tom
alanmushnick
alanmushnick
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, gaggia espresso
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Krups aroma control
Roaster: I still don't do this.
Posted Wed Aug 6, 2003, 8:37am

How does one go about hooking the drain up to plumb out?
My plumbed in Isomac is not near a sink. The water comes up from a pipe tap in the basement below.

Alan Mushnick
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2003, 9:31am

fxdxt Said:

Please check the link below Casa Del Caffe is selling a fully automatic/rotary pump machine for about $1400.00.

Wow, it's really nice looking in all stainless.  And that price is attractive too.  Sorry, I can't think of a reason not to buy it.  :-)

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2003, 9:49am

Tom,

The Mininova that Casa Del is selling is the Lyra. They are sell it under the name Mininova, when it should be Mininova 2002 or Lyra, no difference. The old style MIninova (black top is no longer available) The price is good, given you are willing to pay duty as well. I guess I would consider shopping the price a little. You might be suprised what kind of deals you get by asking ;-)

Terry Z
espressoparts.com

Terry Z
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Wed Aug 6, 2003, 9:51am

alanmushnick Said:

How does one go about hooking the drain up to plumb out?
My plumbed in Isomac is not near a sink. The water comes up from a pipe tap in the basement below.

If your machine is in a kitchen, then plumbing can't be too far away.  The kitchen sink is across the room in my case, but that's a simple matter of drilling a few holes.  I tapped water from the fridge icemaker hookup and ran a drainline down into the existing plumbing below in the crawlspace / basement.  It is a little less convenient if you have a finished basement, since you have to open up the ceiling / walls (I've still got a hole to sand and patch in my office ceiling).  Since the drain debit is so small, I used 3/4" CPVC so I wouldn't have to drill through the countertop.  La Valentina has enough clearance underneath to allow it.  I took the easy way out and drilled a hole in the driptray and fit a flat surface mount adapter to it.  The weight of the machine and a rubber gasket on the bottom of the driptray makes it watertight.

Each installation is different, and each machine hookup will be different.  It isn't hard if you're reasonably handy and like doing that sort of thing.  I'm sure you could hire it all out to a plumber, although I wouldn't expect it to be cheap.  It's a reasonable half-day's work and they charge by the hour (and many don't charge less than a half-day's work).  I like doing this sort of stuff myself and tossed ideas back and forth with a helpful and experienced guy in the plumbing department at Home Depot.  We went through a few boneheaded approaches before landing on the one I went with.  :-)

The Wega Mininova would simplify things since it was designed for this sort of installation.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > IS there a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.437301874161)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+