Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
In need of advice: Rancilio Rocky or Rocky SD?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > In need of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
HaEs

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia
Grinder: Rocky DL
Drip: Braun
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 12:26pm
Subject: In need of advice: Rancilio Rocky or Rocky SD?

Hello fellow geeks,

I'm new in the astonishing world of piston machines, grinders and beans...
After reading many reviews I decided to order a Rancilio Silvia together with a Rocky grinder. I first wanted to buy a Solis Maestro Plus grinder, but after having seen it in a shop, I didn't like the 'cheap' plastic look of it. So I decided for a Rocky.
My question is, there are two types of Rocky's: just 'Rocky' and the 'Rocky SD' which lacks the container for the grind. What exactly are the differences between the normal and the SD version? Which one is preferable (and why)?

Any thoughts appreciated.

HaEs: Rocky.jpg

HaEs
 View Profile Link to this post
GeorgeA
GeorgeA
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E Doserless
Vac Pot: Hario Deco; Cory
Drip: Melior French Press;...
Roaster: Not just yet, but leaning
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 1:10pm
Subject: Re: In need of advice: Rancilio Rocky or Rocky SD?

Which you decide upon is pretty much a personal preference.  The only difference between the two grinders is the doser, which is helpful in a commercial setting but, IMHO, pretty much a waste and inconvenience in a home setting.  To me the advantage of the doserless, is that is removes one more thing to catch ground coffee.

I only grind what I need for each espresso drink, or for the occassional vac pot of coffee.  This means measuring the beans to grind ahead of time, in order to grind exactly what you need.  I also use a small sink size plunger (a.k.a plumbers friend) to expel the residual grounds that inevitably stay in the chute following grinding.  I also use a small stainless steel pitcher under the chute to catch the grounds.  If you do not want to measure ahead of time and allow the doser to determine how much coffee goes into your portafilter, then the doser model may be for you.

The Rocky has been a good utilitarian ginder for me, and whenever I decide to upgrade, I will keep Rocky for drip, vac pot and French press grinding.

Good luck and have fun.

________________________________________ ________________________________________

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
bart1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Sylvia
Drip: Bunn BT10
Roaster: Intelliegntsia!
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 1:29pm

I chose the Sylvia and Doserless Rocky recently when I started.  Very happy.  I think you don't need to leve the beans sitting there all day, so I went without the doser.  I just grind right into the PF and Shop Vac out the Rocky at the end of my "session".  

People have modified Rockys in tons of ways to get around this and other issues, try searching around and see what all you find.  So far, all I have done is put a few layers of masking tape on my lid's lip to make it airtight (air still comes in from the bottom)

Enjoy!

-Bart
bart1

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Sylvia
Drip: Bunn BT10
Roaster: Intelliegntsia!
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 1:31pm

"I civilized my Rocky"
MichaelinA2
MichaelinA2
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia (100)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 5:08pm

Forget the Rocky and get a Mazzer quality grinder. When I compared the Rocky to the Mazzer Mini, I found the Rocky to be grossly overpriced (ie. you pay more for the Mazzer, but you get lots more in return). Your experience may be different, but I doubt it.

my $0.02...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 7:14pm

MichaelinA2 Said:

Forget the Rocky and get a Mazzer quality grinder. When I compared the Rocky to the Mazzer Mini, I found the Rocky to be grossly overpriced (ie. you pay more for the Mazzer, but you get lots more in return). Your experience may be different, but I doubt it.

my $0.02...

Posted July 29, 2005 link

While the above may be true, I believe the Rocky (mine is the DL...doserless...great for doing 2-4 shots...no need for a doser) would easily meet your needs for the time being...unlike the Solis and others, the Rocky holds it's value, so if you decide to "upgrade" in the future, say a year or so, you're sure to get much of it's original value back...assuming it's in fine shape...also, the Rocky is a bit easier to adjust for the times when you want to do vac pot/presspot, etc....
Once "Anita" (my new espresso machine) and I are better acquainted, I'll probably go the Mazzer route as a dedicated espresso grinder, and hopefully be able to keep the Rocky for other duties...if not, I'll find him a good home among the Geek community...

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
CoffeeBeau
CoffeeBeau

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Rocky SD
Drip: Technovorm Moccamaster
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 8:12pm

I have a Rocky doserless or Sans Doser in Italian.  It is my first bump up from a blade grinder, and what a world of difference.  I use it for morning drip and afternoon espersso.

It is a good all around condender,  I also agree with Rob and others that if I need a dedicated espersso grinder, I may look to a Mazzer or other high end grinder to fit the bill.

Best of luck, but read up on the modifications, ie click clack lid for flushing, and beans getting stuck.

Bob
beniciabay

Espresso: Anita, La Pavoni P3V2, La...
Grinder: Rocky Doserless, Mazzer Mini...
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 8:22pm

MichaelinA2 Said:

my $0.02...

Posted July 29, 2005 link

Phone Chris Coffee. Ask them about their experience with the Rocky. I use a Mazzer Mini Electronic in my coffee bar and after talking with Chris Coffee, purchased a Rocky Doserless for my Anita at home. I found the Rocky at Chris Coffee price to be the best value for home. Your experience may be different, but I doubt it.
earlds
earlds
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 8:45pm

Mazzer Spazzer !!Go with the Rocky.I mean by all means get the Mazzer if you can really afford it .Why not...I just dont want you to think that you would be making a foolish compromize by getting the Rocky,and spending another $200.00 for a pro espresso grinder that you dont really need.The Rocky is many steps better, in all ways than the Maestro, and only a couple of steps behind a Mazzer{at home}..If you have the money to buy a Mazzer, then why not buy a Pro espresso machine to go with it..Save your money for the $600.00 roaster that you will HAVE to have next month.....

But what do I know!
MichaelinA2
MichaelinA2
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Miss Silvia (100)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 29, 2005, 9:00pm

Let me expand a bit on my earlier observation...

Taking into account the glowing comments of many contributors to this forum, I selected the douserless Rocky to be my 'starter' grinder. As it turned out, the new Rocky I acquired was defective. Its grinding burrs were not aligned properly when it was built. As a result, it was impossible to produce a grind fine enough to be correctly processed by Miss Silvia. For a month, I tried every possible workaround, but no success. Frustrated, I did a Google search of "Rocky problems" and discovered the issue afflicting "my" Rocky was, in fact, an issue observed by others, too. Disappointed, I returned the Rocky to my dealer and received a full credit toward a Mazzer Mini. I did not want to spend the additional money on the Mini, but now I'm glad I did.

The Mazzer R-O-C-K-S and this makes my Miss Silvia very happy!!!

Lessons learned:

1. Buy new from a reputable dealer with a return policy.
  2. If a Rocky is your choice, test the burr alignment using a magic marker to color one grind surface of the burr set. Zero the burr set and check to make sure the colored surface is wearing evenly. If the wear is uneven, great frustration awaits you.
  3. Avoid the hassle by taking a deep breath and forking out the $$ to get a Mazzer quality grinder in the first place.

Your experience may be different.

Enjoy... (my $0.50! )
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > In need of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.42610502243)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+