Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Mazzer Hopper Modifications...?  Help.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mazzer Hopper...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
HB

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2003, 10:21am
Subject: Re: Mazzer Hopper Modifications...?  Help.

Coolandmellow Said:

If you wrap a piece of masking tape round first, that will provide a guideline for cutting and protection against blade slippage.

Posted July 19, 2003 link

Updated: Also see "Mazzer Mini bean hopper - height? Fits Major?" for ready-made solution.

Oh, why didn't I read your message first!  I didn't think to wrap tape around until I'd already scratched it.  Deciding that was enough damage for one attempt, I took another approach.  Here's my suggested steps, including what I did and what I wish I had done from the start:

1. Place the hopper on the table and rotate it while holding a felt-tip pen at the cut height to make a straight and level line (the hopper should be just under 4" tall when finished -- see diagram below).
  2. Wrap some tape around the outside just below the line.
  3. Patiently cut with a hacksaw around the hopper.  It is easier to make a small groove, move forward, continue the groove, cut a little more, and so on until you've cut a groove all around the circumference.  Make a second and third pass to finish the cut.  I found it easiest to cut with the hopper upside down on a rubber mat, cutting parallel to the table, one hand holding it firmly to the table, the other cutting with the hacksaw.
  4. Borrow a variable speed belt sander with 120 grit sandpaper.  Mount it upside down in a soft vice (I used my Black & Decker Shopmate bench).  Turn it to its slowest speed, turn it on and press the "stay on" button.  Now you've got a flat sanding surface.
  5. Sand and rotate, sand and rotate.  With each turn, remove the burrs.  Don't take much off with each pass, maybe 1/16" - 1/8" max per pass.  Check the fit after each pass.  It took me about 20 minutes and 8-10 passes.  I used the wide edge of needle-nose pliers to snap off those burrs that wouldn't easily break off by hand.  Sand the trailing edge, i.e., the burrs should form on the outside edge where they are a lot easier to remove.
  6. The final edge should be pretty smooth already.  Finish it with a fine grit sandpaper, inside and out, being careful not to slip against the sides.  Tape inside and out wouldn't be a bad idea to guard against slippage (yes, the hopper scratches very easily).
  7. If you like a tight-fitting lid like I do, get a cabinet pullknob and drill a hole in the center of an extra doser lid.  It is easier to take on and off by the knob and looks pretty snappy.

Start to finish, about 45 minutes of work.  Don't rush, you'll scratch it.  If you do, you can cheat like I did by redrilling the mounting hole so the scratched side faces the wall.  :-o

-- Dan

HB: mazzer_hopper_cutline.JPG

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat Jul 19, 2003, 10:35am

dan_kehn Said:

Tape inside and out wouldn't be a bad idea to guard against slippage (yes, the hopper scratches very easily).

Sorry to hear you mucked up the hopper Dan! {:-(
Will you post a pic of it?,your modded Mini. You could order a new one, It's $22.50 @ WLL.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2003, 11:05am

See below.  BTW, the scratches aren't that bad.  Only I would notice them, it isn't worth replacing.  Hopefully the next CG will benefit from my mistake.

-- Dan

HB: mod_mini.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sat Jul 19, 2003, 11:08am

Very nice setup Dan! {;-)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
gscace

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, Astra...
Grinder: 3 Mazzers Robur, Kony,...
Vac Pot: Cona D, Hario Nouveau
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Has Garanti 1kg. electric
Posted Mon Jul 21, 2003, 8:05am

Hi:

How to cut the hopper with a hacksaw:

Be patient!!  The hopper is polycarbonate and is easily cracked.  Use a new fine tooth hacksaw blade (24 teeth per inch or more).

I removed my hopper from the grinder and covered the outside with duct tape in the region that I was interested in slicing off.  I turned the hopper upside down and scribed a line around the hopper by saying a magic marker on a piece of wood at the right height and then rotating the hopper.  

The trick to hacksawing the hopper is to use soap and water as a cutting lubricant.   Dishwashing liquid cut with a bit of water works wonders.  Cut gently.  The new blade should cut very nicely if it is well lubricated.  

The edge can be finished with 220 grit paper after you're done the nerve wracking sawing bit.  I laid the paper on a flat work bench so that I knocked off the high spots in my saw cut.  

Cutting the hopper off at the height that makes the finished diameter fit the doser reservoir cover is a smooth move.  Makes it so that you don't have to fabricate a lid.

-Greg
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Jul 21, 2003, 11:28am

wow.... dan I didn't know you got the timer version.... I snuck under the gun and got a switch model... I can see the value in timer model for those times when I walk away from the setup and forget to turn it off for a minute and have a oh crap moment

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
HB

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2003, 4:14pm

I had the choice of models and I prefer the timer.

I was a bit bemused by the whole "no more MM switch models" fracas.  I figure if it someday bothers me having a timer (and it's just fine by me so far), I can always add a $3 toggle switch.  It is more challenging and expensive to go the other way.  I owned a Maestro with both and found it quite handy.  But hey, I'm one of the few that prefer doserless too. :-o

Anyway, I always dump in only what I need and grind until it's empty.  I don't see how a timer could be anything other than an advantage in that case.  I suppose if you want to grind a half-pound it would be irritating, since you've have to wind back several times.  The timer goes long enough for three or four shots (about one minute max), more than adequate for my needs.

-- Dan

OT: You know how lots of people say the Mazzer Mini is so quiet you might not hear it running?  Maybe they need to get their hearing evaluated <g>.  I have no problem hearing it from across the room.  It certainly makes more noise than my dishwasher (Bosch @ 49 db).  OTOH, you wouldn't hear it easily over a mid-volume radio or TV.

www.home-barista.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon Jul 21, 2003, 5:05pm

dan_kehn Said:

OT: You know how lots of people say the Mazzer Mini is so quiet you might not hear it running?  Maybe they need to get their hearing evaluated <g>.  I have no problem hearing it from across the room.  It certainly makes more noise than my dishwasher (Bosch @ 49 db).  OTOH, you wouldn't hear it easily over a mid-volume radio or TV.

Yeah, same here, I thought about the same thing..., maybe they mean you can't hear it in a shop environment, as the Mini is supposed to be a shop grinder & not usually found in the home, usually a fair bit of customer traffic in the coffee shops, & you'd never/hardly ever hear the thing.

doctorsimon

Espresso: Faema E98 S Compact (on...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini EL, Russell...
Posted Sat Apr 23, 2005, 1:49am

CraigA Said:

Yeah, same here, I thought about the same thing..., maybe they mean you can't hear it in a shop environment, as the Mini is supposed to be a shop grinder & not usually found in the home, usually a fair bit of customer traffic in the coffee shops, & you'd never/hardly ever hear the thing.

Posted July 21, 2003 link

It purrs when grinding empty but growls when grinding beans. It is a pleasant purr compared to many cheaper grinders, the food processor, and other kitchen motorised gadgets. But it is certainly not quiet, I agree.
 View Profile Link to this post
RockyGag
RockyGag
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Olympia/Expobar Office/Mirco...
Grinder: Rocky/Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: n/a
Roaster: Poppery II & CO/SC
Posted Sat Apr 23, 2005, 4:38am

A vote for the reality, the SJ makes some noise.

Not sooooo bad as not to grind beans, but it still is a bit loud.

Dave
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Mazzer Hopper...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445400953293)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+