Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with Cimbali Junior D/1
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Coffee_od

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Junior D/1
Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005, 10:14am
Subject: Help with Cimbali Junior D/1

Hi there!
I hope there is someone out there who can help me with my new machine!
I was able to buy a new Cimbali Junior M21 D/1 for a really nice price and it looks great on my counter. Only problem is.. it doesn't work 100%. (the most important part doesn't work)
The symptoms:
-When I turn it on everything looks ok. The pump kicks in filling the boiler, all the lights seem to do the right things.
-The boiler heats up and pressure builds. So far so good. After 10-15 minutes pressure is around 1,1 bar and I can feel that the machine is starting to get warm.
-Tried the steam and hot water dispensers, and they both work. Lots of steam/hot water.
-After about 45 minutes I tried one of the buttons, and tried to make the machine dispense a double espresso thorugh the (empty) portafilter. When I push the button the pump starts up but no water comes out.
-No matter how long I wait or which button I press, the result is the same: Pump comes on but nothing comes out. I've tried running the pump a long time...

My guess is that there must be something wrong with the pump, with the tubes going out to the grouphead or with the dispensing mechanism. I have taken off the coverings and had a look, but I can't really see anything obviously wrong. Hope there is someone out there with some ideas or similar experiences.

JK
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005, 10:57am
Subject: Re: Help with Cimbali Junior D/1

I'm not a repair tech, but I would guess that the group solenoid is stuck / not connected (it's the black box with blue/yellow/black wires leading to it in the second picture here). If you drain water from the tap and the boiler refills, you can safely eliminate the pump as the cause. Since you bought it new, I suggest going back to the seller for repairs; it may be as simple as a loose wire, or it could be more complicated, like a clogged orifice (e.g., excess thread sealant applied during assembly that broke loose).

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dsharp88

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1
Grinder: Mini Mazzer, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, 1-cup Melitta
Roaster: Alpenrost, FreshRoast+,...
Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005, 10:59am

Have you programmed shot size into the different settings? What year model is it? The way you program it has changed over the years. Check your manual to see how to change yours. You may have to open it up and adjust some rods.

Other thoughts - do you have a blank portafilter in the handle? Is anything discharging into the drip tray after your empty shot attempt?

- Donald Blum
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Coffee_od

Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005, 11:23am

Just to be sure I tried to reprogram the dosing buttons, but I still get the same results. The pump runs but no water comes out.
I have also tried with no portafilter and with the double portafilter in place. No joy.

I think that Dan is on to something with the group solenoid. I'll try to see if I there are any loose wires.

Thank you for really quick replies!

- Jarle -
champignon
champignon

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr. DT/1 Rotary;...
Grinder: 2 Cimbali Jr. Grinders; 1...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 3; Hario Deco 5;...
Drip: Melita cone, used during...
Roaster: 1lb Gas Fired Drum Sample...
Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005, 8:50pm

Coffee_od Said:

Hi there!
I hope there is someone out there who can help me with my new machine!
I was able to buy a new Cimbali Junior M21 D/1 for a really nice price and it looks great on my counter. Only problem is.. it doesn't work 100%. (the most important part doesn't work)
The symptoms:
-When I turn it on everything looks ok. The pump kicks in filling the boiler, all the lights seem to do the right things.
-The boiler heats up and pressure builds. So far so good. After 10-15 minutes pressure is around 1,1 bar and I can feel that the machine is starting to get warm.
-Tried the steam and hot water dispensers, and they both work. Lots of steam/hot water.
-After about 45 minutes I tried one of the buttons, and tried to make the machine dispense a double espresso thorugh the (empty) portafilter. When I push the button the pump starts up but no water comes out.
-No matter how long I wait or which button I press, the result is the same: Pump comes on but nothing comes out. I've tried running the pump a long time...

My guess is that there must be something wrong with the pump, with the tubes going out to the grouphead or with the dispensing mechanism. I have taken off the coverings and had a look, but I can't really see anything obviously wrong. Hope there is someone out there with some ideas or similar experiences.

JK

Posted June 18, 2005 link

Hard to even guess what is going on; since the machine is new and presumably under warranty, I agree 1000% avec mon ami Dan that you should go back to the dealer to have this evaluated.  

ken
SamuraiE

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21/S1
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.
Vac Pot: several / Atomic, too
Drip: yes
Roaster: Hottop baby!
Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005, 10:12pm

If Ken (the healer of all Juniors everywhere) has no clue....it must be serious!

Nowhere to go and feeling groovy!
ev
ev

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super 2004
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Sat Jun 18, 2005, 11:13pm

dsharp88 Said:

Have you programmed shot size into the different settings? What year model is it? The way you program it has changed over the years. Check your manual to see how to change yours. You may have to open it up and adjust some rods.

Other thoughts - do you have a blank portafilter in the handle? Is anything discharging into the drip tray after your empty shot attempt?

- Donald Blum

I doubt it would have anything to do with the programming of the shot sizes. When the correct dose is dispensed, the pump stops which isn't the case here.
Coffee_od

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2005, 7:28am

Latest news:
I checked the group solenoid valve and all the wiring. Everything seems fine, so finding the fault is beyond me.
Therefore I've called the supplier and a tech rep is coming over to fix the machine. When he has (hopefully) fixed the machine I'll post a reply with what was wrong with the machine!

Jarle
champignon
champignon

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr. DT/1 Rotary;...
Grinder: 2 Cimbali Jr. Grinders; 1...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 3; Hario Deco 5;...
Drip: Melita cone, used during...
Roaster: 1lb Gas Fired Drum Sample...
Posted Mon Jun 20, 2005, 11:13pm

SamuraiE Said:

If Ken (the healer of all Juniors everywhere) has no clue....it must be serious!

I appreciate the kind sentiments but I ain't no espresso machine mechanic, even though I've played one (from time to time) chez moi :-)

ken
EricC
EricC
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Versalab M3
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Tue Jul 19, 2005, 4:25am

Jarle,

Did you ever get this fixed?
And if so, what was the problem?

Cheers.
Eric.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.442394971848)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+