Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Grind into separate container before dosing: seeing lumps now
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Grind into...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
hakkr

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Innova i2, Modded Bodum...
Vac Pot: Several moka pots
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 11:49pm
Subject: Grind into separate container before dosing: seeing lumps now

Hi all,

I own an Innova i2 doserless which grinds really well for espresso.
However, I don't particularly like the way the chute works, and
have never been happy dosing directly into the pf. So for the longest
time I have been grinding into a separate container (it's actually
the receptacle for a bodum antiqua grinder) and carefully pouring
the grinds into the pf from it.

Since I have been doing more home roasting and trying other mail-order
espresso blends of late, I am seeing more variation of results with
this approach. In particular, I sometimes see lumps of grinds in my
receptacle. Serious shaking of the receptacle often does not 'unlump'
and sometimes makes things worse. Sometimes the lumps' presence will
lead to bad tamps if I am not careful.

Here are my two questions:

1. Who else does the "collect-then-dose" method, and what kind of
    receptacles have worked best for you?

2. Is dosing into the pf directly meant to prevent such lumping? In other
    words, will dosing into the pf help build up the grinds in a finer and more
    layered fashion than I what I doing right now?

-Vic
 View Profile Link to this post
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jun 6, 2005, 12:02am
Subject: Re: Grind into separate container before dosing: seeing lumps now

I grind from Rocky into a 4-oz Bodum cylindrical teacup. For Silvia, I'd pour the grinds into the PF; Livia seems to prefer her grinds measured precisely and scooped. (Grinding directly is a crapshoot--I could never properly overdose Silvia without wasting grounds, and Livia hates to be overdosed.  I am using the scoop Pasquini provided---something I'd poo-poohed with other machines.  I also use the flat bottom of the scoop to do a light distro and preliminary tamp.

From the SMP, I grind into the PF sometimes but mostly into the container, and then pour.  I get boulders more often when grinding into the PF on both machines.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
abraxas
abraxas

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jun 6, 2005, 12:09am

This is a question I've had too.  I have a Rocky Doserless grinder and have been grinding directly into the pf.  It takes a little time for it to fill the pf, so there is inevitably some cool-off.  Oh well, such is life, has been my usual response.  I usually bump the pf vertically if I want to dose more.  I do periodically get clumping as you describe, but it often breaks apart when gently wacking the pf on the counter to dose up the shot.

If I was going to use a secondary container, I would have bought a dosing grinder I suppose.
hakkr

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Innova i2, Modded Bodum...
Vac Pot: Several moka pots
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Mon Jun 6, 2005, 9:14am

ChicagoSandy Said:

I grind from Rocky into a 4-oz Bodum cylindrical teacup. ...
From the SMP, I grind into the PF sometimes but mostly into the container, and then pour.  I get boulders more often when grinding into the PF on both machines.

Posted June 6, 2005 link

Is there anyone actually using Bodum parts for their intended purpose :-) ? My Bodum Pavina glass is
doubling as a short vase right now.

And "boulders" crack me up. My experience so far is that their appearance seem to depend on blend/roast type.

I just found a review on the Innova grinder by Jim in which he described first grinding into an espresso cup as well. I think this procedure is going to remain a necessary evil for me as long as I continue to use this grinder. I try to compensate the pf heat loss by flushing it with really hot water, then drying thoroughly.

Now if only I have a good boulder-eradication solution...
(tried the knock-to-breakup approach that abraxas described, and it only works to some extent)

-Vic
davea
davea

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Press
Posted Mon Jun 6, 2005, 10:56am

I dose by scoop into a small, spherical jar, eyeballing the level in the jar to double check. I use a chop stick to quickly stir and de-clump the grounds for a more even distribution.*

The mouth of the jar fits into the basket with some clearance; with a quick, circular motion my basket is dosed and visually well distributed. I then apply what I -think- is a Stockfleth distribution, several iterations, then tamp. The level at which my tamp rests in the basket is a final benchmark for my dose.

Dave

(*) In my case, the oxidation impact of stirring is fairly moot, but I'd vote for distribution over exposure worries. I might not bother stirring freshly ground unless I had visual clumps.
handcannon

Espresso: PIDed Zaffiro
Grinder: MCI, Innova, Zass, Capresso
Drip: Capresso Aroma Classic 461
Roaster: Modded FR & WBs
Posted Tue Jun 7, 2005, 7:08pm

My procedure is grind into the pf, tap on counter three times to level and break up major clumps, top off the pf, Stockfleth and Staub tamp.  It's gotten to the point I can tweak the grind based on the chute output.  It helps that I usually rotate between three favorite blends, but even with a new S.O. I can generally dial the MCI in by a half pf full.  YMMV.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  A. Brilliant
ChicagoSandy
ChicagoSandy

Espresso: Quickmill "La Cora,"  Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Presses, Aeropress
Drip: postnasal, Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast2, SC/TO
Posted Tue Jun 7, 2005, 10:30pm

I went out to get a Click-Clack lid for Rocky, and also picked up a small squat 4-oz. container to rest on the PF holder to grind into. But on a hunch, I took one of those little half-dome acrylic condiment/coleslaw dishes that you can get by the dozen at restaurant supply places and ground into it instead. It's short enough to fit on the PF holder but wide and deep enough to prevent much of the spewing that occurs when grinding into the PF.

Oh, and I figured out how to convert my electronic scale to read grams instead, so the dose was more precise.

Sandy
www.sandyandina.com
-------------------
Life's too short to drink lousy coffee, play crummy guitars and write with ballpoint pens.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Grind into...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.384933948517)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+