Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Steaming Power Pasquini Livia versus ECM Giotto
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Steaming Power...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
italiano

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Germany Tecknika IV
Grinder: Mazzer Mini and Pasquini...
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2003, 7:27am
Subject: Steaming Power Pasquini Livia versus ECM Giotto

I currently own a Pasquini Livia and do not have any complaints with respect to its steaming power and recovery. Since the Pasqini Livia has a smaller boiler than the ECM Giotto and since I have no experiance in steaming on a Giotto all I have read is that the Giotto does not compare and is weak in comparison to the Pasquini Livia with respect to  steaming. My question is since the Giotto has a larger boiler and steaming performance and its power comes from the boiler pressure generated in the boiler it would make sense to me that the ECM Giotto would produce more steam hands down since it has a larger boiler. Instead the oposite is true. Can anyone logically and mechanically explain why the ECM Giotto produces less steaming power than the Pasquini Livia ? Thks
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2003, 10:19am
Subject: Re: Steaming Power Pasquini Livia versus ECM Giotto

I think the Giotto has gotten a bad rap in the steaming department. I did a side by side which I reported here on CG between my neighbor's Giotto and my Isomac Millenium (which BTW has a good steaming reputation). The Giotto was a stronger steamer by far. My Millenium though is no slouch. I can create great microfoam and pour nice latte art. I am happy with the steaming on my Isomac. I think the tip you use is one of the most important parameters.  Rob
 View Profile Link to this post
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2003, 11:00am

I believe Giotto's bad reputation for steaming came from a Schomer review in which he may (or may not) have been comparing it to a commercial machine. In which case it does not compare favorably, of course. I would guess it really isn't an issue.

In any case, the reason a smaller boiler can be a factor is that it takes less power to bring it up to full pressure, and pressure is more of an indicator of good steam than volume of the tank.

All else being equal.. in other words, if the Pasquini and the Giotto have similar wattage heating coils, the smaller volume boiler will yield better steam pressure and properly matched to the power output of the heating coils, for a longer time (the larger boiler will take longer to lose pressure and turn on the coils, but it will be slower to come back up to pressure as well).

The tips also make a difference in foam quality, but they are secondary to good, sustainable pressure.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2003, 11:33am

blkeagl Said:

I believe Giotto's bad reputation for steaming came from a Schomer review in which he may (or may not) have been comparing it to a commercial machine. In which case it does not compare favorably, of course. I would guess it really isn't an issue.

In any case, the reason a smaller boiler can be a factor is that it takes less power to bring it up to full pressure, and pressure is more of an indicator of good steam than volume of the tank.

All else being equal.. in other words, if the Pasquini and the Giotto have similar wattage heating coils, the smaller volume boiler will yield better steam pressure and properly matched to the power output of the heating coils, for a longer time (the larger boiler will take longer to lose pressure and turn on the coils, but it will be slower to come back up to pressure as well).

The tips also make a difference in foam quality, but they are secondary to good, sustainable pressure.

Posted June 20, 2003 link

I'm not sure I agree with everything above. I think the only real way to compare different machines is to actually compare them side by side.  Comparing specifications is one thing, but you have to include all the variables--some of which you may not know. You may look at specs of two different cars and one on paper may look faster, but the real world is the only test that matters.  And, I still think that the role of the tip in steaming is something that most people are unaware of.  Try a variety of tips on your machine and see for yourself. I've got a drawer of about 7 tips and only one is any good. The others are essentially worthless, including the stock tip that came with my machine. BTW...the Isomac does have very sustainable pressure. The Giotto also appears to be sustainable from what I've seen.  Rob
mdreuben
mdreuben
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spazialle VII, Electra...
Grinder: Mahlkonig K 30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Say No To Drip!  Use the Eva...
Roaster: Sonofresco, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Fri Jun 20, 2003, 1:26pm

italiano Said:

I  Instead the oposite is true. Can anyone logically and mechanically explain why the ECM Giotto produces less steaming power than the Pasquini Livia ? Thks

Posted June 20, 2003 link

I don't believe you can say that the "opposite is true".  To the best of my knowlege no one has done a side-by-side of the two machines.   My Giotto puts out a tremendous amount of dry steam continuously.   More than enough for a 24 oz steaming pitcher making almost constant milk drinks.

The quality of the foam wasn't great until I switched to the Chris Coffee tip.  Now you almost can't help but make great microfoam.
laservet
laservet

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Versalab M3, Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Zojirushi
Drip: Bunn SmartWave APS, Bodum...
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2003, 1:09pm

The quality of the foam wasn't great until I switched to the Chris Coffee tip.  Now you almost can't help but make great microfoam.

Is that the 2 hole tip listed on the Chris Coffee site, Item #: 2SHSTIP ?

Paul

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
mdreuben
mdreuben
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Spazialle VII, Electra...
Grinder: Mahlkonig K 30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Say No To Drip!  Use the Eva...
Roaster: Sonofresco, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2003, 1:17pm

laservet Said:

Is that the 2 hole tip listed on the Chris Coffee site, Item #: 2SHSTIP ?

Paul

Posted June 22, 2003 link

That's the tip.  It's awesome!
laservet
laservet

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Versalab M3, Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Zojirushi
Drip: Bunn SmartWave APS, Bodum...
Posted Sun Jun 22, 2003, 1:52pm

Thanks!

Paul

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is.
schrepel
schrepel

Espresso: Livia
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: WhirleyPop (o yeah!)
Posted Mon Oct 20, 2003, 11:52am

I'm having trouble getting good microfoam with Livia. I have both the Chris Coffee 2-hole tip (the "new" small-hole tip mentioned in the above posts), and the other larger 2-hole tip offered by Chris. I find they're both good at different phases of the steaming process.

With the "new" tip, I can't get a good whirlpooling motion after stretching the milk. It seems like the holes restrict the steam flow too much, maybe. With that tip, it takes almost 45 seconds to microfoam the milk, which just seems way too long.

The other 2-hole tip (larger holes) makes a good whirlpool effect but it's harder to control the initial stretching phase, so I often have larger bubbles than I'd like.

Oddly, I was able to make great foam on both my Silvia (w/3-hole tip), and on my stovetop steamer (the same 3-hole tip). Both give me enough time to control the stretching, but they really get that whirlpool motion going.

Am I just lame? Is there a 3-hole tip similar to Silvia's tip available for Livia? Any suggestions on tip placement during the whirlpool phase? (Like is it near the edge, do you angle the pitcher, how near the bottom of the pitcher...)

Thanks for all the great advice I've gotten from this site so far.
flydhest
flydhest
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Oct 20, 2003, 5:41pm

Well, I love my Giotto.  Even if I could redo the choice, I don't think I would.  However, this weekend we had 5 people over for brunch, which means, including me and the Mrs., I made 7 lattes in as quick succession as my still-learning hands could make them.  I only have a frothing pitcher big enough for two lattes worth of milk at a time (should have made everyone drink macchiatos :->) so I had to rinse (in cold water to cool it) the pitcher and re-use it 4 times.  On the third round, Signore Giotto did start to lose pressure.  The pressurestat for the boiler fell pretty significantly.  Luckily, it also comes back up pretty quickly, and since I was the last in line, and I had to refill the hopper on the grinder, it had time to pop back up.  

This is likely the most I'll ever have to do, but if I was better (read: faster) at my whole routine, I could see getting ahead of the machine.  That said, I have the stock steam tip, so maybe with the replacement tip that everyone is talking about and I now feel obliged to get (thank you soooo much for spending my money), it wouldn't have happened.  Dunno, I haven't thought enough about how the tip would affect things.

Anyway, just a comment from a Giotto lover, that you might actually encounter some steaming limitation.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Steaming Power...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.390987873077)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+