Espresso: Espresso Machines
LM consumer machine speculation at SCAA 05
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LM consumer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2005, 11:26pm
Subject: LM consumer machine speculation at SCAA 05

In this article, Mark wrote:

It pays to walk the floor a lot - there's always a few gems and unknowns, especially in the domestic machine market. Tricks and treats abound, from roaster surprises, to new innovations in grinders, and new technologies in espresso machines. Rumour has it at this year's show, one of the biggest names in commercial espresso will be announcing (and maybe even displaying) a foray into the world of consumer / prosumer machines. The initials LM come to mind.

So I thought that I'd get this topic ready to go for anyone at SCAA to pass on anything that they find out ...

Cheers,

Luca "do I hold off on a cheap Expobar?" C

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 7:28am
Subject: Re: LM consumer machine speculation at SCAA 05

Posted by Mark under SCAA day 2:

It Exists: The La Marzocco Consumer Machine
Posted by Mark Prince, 10:15am

Yes folks, after several long years of negotiations, discussion, panels of experts talking, and a lot of sweat and effort by a guy named Bill Crossland, the La Marzocco Consumer Machine (no official name yet) exists. Here's some exclusive first photos.
Click for larger image Click for larger image

La Marzocco Consumer Machine
This is the preproduction, fully functioning model. In fact, it had been beaten up in it's first "showing" (even dropped) and though some things weren't working properly, the machine as a whole was still pounding out shots.
Man behind it.
Bill Crossland has been a champion behind the scenes at La Marzocco for this machine, and now it's come to fruition. I want 002 off the line, Bill!

Details that I can talk about.

Initial price point: TBA
Boilers: 2, with preheater (steam boiler draws most power) Steam is 3 litres, boiler is 1.
Automatic, with all the new GB5's internal electronics and controls
110V, designed that way from the ground up
Paddle Wheel, GS2 grouphead (still in development - mock up on this machine)
PID built in
1 gallon reservoir
Similar styling to the most unique usable machine out there - the Speedster
Plumbed in / out optional
220/240 power optional
Size, 13 inches high, deep enough to allow about 4 to 5 inches on a standard kitchen counter.
Weight (???)
Availability: This summer or early fall.

Get your calls in folks.

My thoughts:

-Looks worse than any of the other LM machines, but hopefully that's something that they're looking at changing.  Funny, because the speedster is probably my favourite looking machine ever.

-Drip tray looks bad; like on Silvia, I'd imagine that it would allow for a lot of water to sit on it.

-I want the high linea legs, dammit!

-Other than the above, FANTASTIC!!

Two questions:

a) How much?  b) Gimme!

Also looks like a good base to use to mod up like one of the kees machines ;P

Damn I hope this is at a competitive price.  Wouldn't sell well to the general market near the La Spaziale S1 price point ... but, let's face it; we're the target market!  Would a non-cg really buy this machine?

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
AlMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno, Quaha...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Lux
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 7:55am

Luca Said:

My thoughts:

-Looks worse than any of the other LM machines, but hopefully that's something that they're looking at changing.  

Posted April 18, 2005 link

Looks worse than any other machine.  May be its the photos - but it just looks plain crap, sort of like an ancient computer or calculator with an LM Group sticking out the top.  Still, I'd have an ugly machine which pulls good shots rather than a looker any day.

I'll hold off on any upgrade while it sorts itself out.  

Price? It's going to quite easily outspec the LaSpazS1.  At US$3,000 it probably still squashes the competition at that price (Cimbali Junior S1).

In Australia Luca - anyone's guess.  It'll have to cost less than AU$4k - otherwise why would you bother when you could have a Linea 1 group.

Any thoughts on whether this will be a, to take a leaf from Rick's book, "Bleeding Edge" machine with bugs worked out through the first X units/year(s)?
 View Profile Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 9:23am

AlMac Said:

Looks worse than any other machine.  May be its the photos - but it just looks plain crap, sort of like an ancient computer or calculator with an LM Group sticking out the top.  Still, I'd have an ugly machine which pulls good shots rather than a looker any day.

best quote thus far....

I actually like the electronics and the paddle wheel .... I just would have liked to retain the stainless steel finish... but who cares... its a La Marzocco... a LA MARZOCCO ...when was the last time they came out with crap.. hmmmm (I haven't been in coffee long enough to remember)

so I am not going to nitpick... I am going to wait knowing that the machine will only get better and it will be a drool piece by the time it is available for purchase.... look at the diff between the standard Synesso's and the one that I saw a couple of days ago with the dayglo lighting and the colored panels....

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 10:53am

Luca Said:

Looks worse than any of the other LM machines, but hopefully that's something that they're looking at changing.  Funny, because the speedster is probably my favourite looking machine ever.

My thoughts put into words...

It does have the air of a prototype about it (although I could be wrong and maybe there's a market for brown sports cars too).

I want the high linea legs, dammit!

Aren't they just to make it easier to clear out the cockroach droppings in the morning?

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uk/660580  - Green Coffee List
rcs914
rcs914
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 4:34pm

Looks pretty much like a GS1/GS2 single group to me.  And frankly I think it looks great!  I'm happy that it doesn't have the boxy shape of a linea, which is a great machine, but not the most attractive as far as I am concerned.  I doubt I will be able to justify the cost, much as I would absolutely love to have one.  C'est la vie.

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
HB

Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 4:59pm

Andy Schecter and I bumped into Kent Bakke late last night just outside the Barista Guild party and he graciously offered us a look of the famed LM consumer machine, despite that he was obviously exhausted.

I thought the prototype looked very sharp and home-friendly. It didn't look like a one-group café machine that happened to land in someone's kitchen -- it was clearly designed with the North American market in mind. The interior boiler construction was a reduced-mirror image of their commercial line, right down to the flange heating element mounts. Andy and I queried Kent about a few of their design point decisions, some of which frankly surprised me (e.g., a non-removable stainless steel pourover tank as part of the exterior shell...?). His answers showed that they had obviously given lots of thought to the particular expectations of the home market.

Judging from what I saw, this machine's introduction may be as much about marketing as production issues. Indeed, their idea of a "prototype" would shame many a production-ready version. However, they are still tweaking the design and price point, which Kent suggested might nix nicities like the brushed black anonized aluminum sides from the final version due to production costs. That'd be a shame, I thought it really set the look apart.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
champignon
champignon
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr. DT/1 Rotary;...
Grinder: 2 Cimbali Jr. Grinders; 1...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 3; Hario Deco 5;...
Drip: Melita cone, used during...
Roaster: 1lb Gas Fired Drum Sample...
Posted Mon Apr 18, 2005, 5:12pm

HB Said:

Andy Schecter and I bumped into Kent Bakke late last night just outside the Barista Guild party and he graciously offered us a look of the famed LM consumer machine, despite that he was obviously exhausted.

I thought the prototype looked very sharp and home-friendly. It didn't look like a one-group café machine that happened to land in someone's kitchen -- it was clearly designed with the North American market in mind. The interior boiler construction was a reduced-mirror image of their commercial line, right down to the flange heating element mounts. Andy and I queried Kent about a few of their design point decisions, some of which frankly surprised me (e.g., a non-removable stainless steel pourover tank as part of the exterior shell...?). His answers showed that they had obviously given lots of thought to the particular expectations of the home market.

Judging from what I saw, this machine's introduction may be as much about marketing as production issues. Indeed, their idea of a "prototype" would shame many a production-ready version. However, they are still tweaking the design and price point, which Kent suggested might nix nicities like the brushed black anonized aluminum sides from the final version due to production costs. That'd be a shame, I thought it really set the look apart.

-- Dan

I had a chance to see it also, along with Mark P. and Owen Egan.  I think it is way cool also but I'll believe it exists (as a production machine) only when I see it up for sale.  And my guess is the wait will be a LOT longer than has been suggested, since they are waiting on the pump supplier to provide them with a pump that currently does not exist.

ken
bradinvancouver
bradinvancouver
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GB5
Grinder: E-Robur
Drip: Clover/Fetco
Roaster: Gothot from afar
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 9:12am

More info - "SCAA Seattle 2005, Day 2, Road Reports" - basically - it'll end up being between 3 and 4K US and the look will probably change somewhat prior to production.

Anyone have a link to info on the Speedster? I couldn't find anything with a google search.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 9:33am

bradinvancouver Said:

Anyone have a link to info on the Speedster? I couldn't find anything with a google search.

Posted April 19, 2005 link

Try here.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/worldregional/uk/660580  - Green Coffee List
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > LM consumer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.552601099014)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+