Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Does your Expobar run hot?  The (possible) fault and the fix..... finally!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does your...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
sjames
sjames
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Expobar eb-61 Office Leva
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Unibuy Syphon
Drip: Are you talking to me?????
Roaster: Genovese Coffee
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 6:04am
Subject: Does your Expobar run hot?  The (possible) fault and the fix..... finally!

I have just discovered that my 4 month old Office Leva had a faulty return valve in the boiler.  This was allowing hot water to flow back along the teflon inlet line and into the heat exchange.  (Ouch!!!!  That explains the line popping off the OPV nipple.)

A symptom indicating a faulty return valve is delayed water delivery through the group when the pump is activated (lifting the lever).  It would sometimes take >5 seconds before water would flow from the screen.  The longer the machine was left idle, the longer the pause.

I no longer have splutteirng and fizzing from the group.  I'm readjusting my pstat, and when I have done some temperature checks, I'll post the results.

No more 200ml -  300ml cooling shots.  WOO HOO!!!!!

Cheers,
Simon.

Simon James.

Kit:  Expobar EB61 Leva, Mazzer Mini, various tampers (Reg Barbers, Pullmans, and the "Perfect Leveller"), Unibuy TCA-3 Syphon, 2 cup V60, SS Moka Pot.

Blog - http://sdotjames.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
KopiO

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3, Expobar...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Roaster: Gene Cafe, IMEX CR100 (Caffe...
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 8:03pm
Subject: Re: Does your Expobar run hot?  The fault and the fix..... finally!

sjames Said:

I have just discovered that my 4 month old Office Leva had a faulty return valve in the boiler.  This was allowing hot water to flow back along the teflon inlet line and into the heat exchange.  (Ouch!!!!  That explains the line popping off the OPV nipple.)

A symptom indicating a faulty return valve is delayed water delivery through the group when the pump is activated (lifting the lever).  It would sometimes take >5 seconds before water would flow from the screen.  The longer the machine was left idle, the longer the pause.

I no longer have splutteirng and fizzing from the group.  I'm readjusting my pstat, and when I have done some temperature checks, I'll post the results.

No more 200ml -  300ml cooling shots.  WOO HOO!!!!!

Cheers,
Simon.

Posted April 12, 2005 link

I am not sure if I have the same problem, but I have to do long cooling shots too. I get lots of spluttering and fizzing/steam after it has been left idle for some time. How can I verify the problem?

I have opened up the machine previously to adjust the brew pressure (was 12 bar down to 9+bar) but I have no idea which one is the return valve. DId you change the valve yourself?
 View Profile Link to this post
Rawman
Rawman

Espresso: 2002 Cremina, Elektra MKAL,...
Vac Pot: Silex Vintage Vac Pot
Drip: Bodum chambord FP, Melitta...
Roaster: HotTop, Buzzroaster,  HG/DB
Posted Tue Apr 12, 2005, 9:06pm

Would this apply to the non lever Expobars?

Rawman the Expobarbarian..
AKA the Original Jon R.
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 1:20am

My Office Contol runs hot but I have no sputtering and not too much water comes from the OPV (unless I grind too fine and/or tamp to hard). I adjusted my P-stat from ~15.5 PSI down to ~14 PSI. Still, I must pull a 6oz. cooling flush before pulling a shot.

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
KopiO

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 7:18pm

sjames Said:

Posted April 12, 2005 link

After double checking my machine I don't think I have the same problem. I have all the fizzing and spluttering but the water starts to flow within a second. I presume what I am experiencing is normal which is why the group is flushed after being idle.
sjames
sjames

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 8:06pm

The return valve AFAIK is in the line at the boiler.  It stops hot water from flowing back  along the inlet line.  (Probably called an anti return valve.)

I suspect this valve is common to all machines (not just my Office Leva) due to what it does.  Especially machines with teflon/nylon inlet lines like mine.

I did not replace the valve myself.  If it is faulty, it is a warranty issue.

Since replacing the valve, I have adjusted the pstat to cycle between 1.2 & 1.4 bar (edit:  it's actually between 1.1 & 1.3 bar....sorry folks).  After >30 mins warm up, the brew temp is 94-95C (measured during a blank shot with a k type thermocouple, inserted through the PF spout so it is close to the bottom of the filter basket, inside the PF.)  This brew temperature is achieved without any flushing!  If the machine sits idle for extended periods, it may require one extensive flush.  That flush appears to be good for another 30+ minutes.

I am now concerned that my machine is running too cold, as I don't require any sort of cooling flush.  I have run out of coffee at it's peak, so I'm having difficulty discerning the flavours, compared with the results I was obtaining when I had to surf the machine previously.  However, the mouth feel seems to have improved (much richer).

Before having the machine repaired, the distributor told me that a possible cause for overly hot shots was an incorrect "Disc" in the group head.  Apparently, there are different sized discs which help to control the final brew temperature.  With my limited understanding of the e-61 group internals, I have no idea where the disc is located or how it works.  When I've established whether or not my machine is operating completely correctly, I will contact the distributor to have them rectify the issue and/or explain in detail how thie "Disc" works.

KopiO, if water is not running from your shower screen immediately after activating the pump, I would suspect that you have the same problem.  The spluttering and fizzing are not the only indicators of this particular fault.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Simon.

Simon James.

Kit:  Expobar EB61 Leva, Mazzer Mini, various tampers (Reg Barbers, Pullmans, and the "Perfect Leveller"), Unibuy TCA-3 Syphon, 2 cup V60, SS Moka Pot.

sjames
sjames

Posted Wed Apr 13, 2005, 8:12pm

KopiO Said:

After double checking my machine I don't think I have the same problem. I have all the fizzing and spluttering but the water starts to flow within a second. I presume what I am experiencing is normal which is why the group is flushed after being idle.

Posted April 13, 2005 link

KopiO,
My distributor said that cooling flushes of more than 60mls are excessive (unless, perhaps, the machine has been idle too long).  If your pstat is set appropriately, and it is still running hot, it may be another issue.

Cheers,
Simon.

Simon James.

KopiO

Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 2:12am

sjames Said:

KopiO,
My distributor said that cooling flushes of more than 60mls are excessive (unless, perhaps, the machine has been idle too long).  If your pstat is set appropriately, and it is still running hot, it may be another issue.

Posted April 13, 2005 link

My cooling flushes normally take more than 60mls before settling down to a smooth flow (idle for 30 mins), but water does flow almost immediately (after an initial puff of steam!). I will have to check the temperature once I get the appropriate equipment!

Thanks.
mike01

Espresso: Izzo Alex
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Vario-W
Vac Pot: Yama Stovetop
Drip: Bunn Trifecta
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:15am
Subject: Re: Does your Expobar run hot?  The (possible) fault and the fix..... finally!

The p-stat on my Pulser is set to 1.1Bar and it takes a 8oz cooling flush to get the brew temp down to 201F w/ a 25sec recovery time.  The water in the reservoir seems to affect the temperature as well.  If the water has been sitting in there a while it gets quite warm and results in higher brew temps.  By refilling the reservoir with cool water from the tap, the resulting brew temps are several degrees cooler.  I am definitely interested in what your distributer performed on your machine.  Not having to go through this much trouble to get the temp down would definitely be nice.  However, I don't belive my machine is defective, as I have tried two seperate Pulsers and they both perform identically.  I also do not have the issue with the water delay from the group.
ev
ev

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super 2004
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2005, 3:59am
Subject: Re: Does your Expobar run hot?  The (possible) fault and the fix..... finally!

G-day Simon.
Are you sure that the service agent didn't mod your machine? The fact that you have the PStat set to peak at a whopping 1.4 Bar and you still get perfect temp from start-up sounds strange (good strange!!). Have you tried doing a decent flush (300ml) and then checking the temp? If the temp drops too low, I'd start to question things. I believe there is a little trick used to reduce temp in HX mchines. A restricter disc (copper washer) is jammed in the HX. As you'd be well aware, most HX machines are set at around 1.1 bar and do seem to need a cooling flush. Mine starts at 100C and drops to 94C after a 300ml flush (PStat set to 1.1 Bar).
If you find that the temp is pretty stable after a flush, consider yourself extremely lucky.

Enjoy.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Does your...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.485666036606)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+