Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
need help identifying an older faema espresso machine
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
boon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Apr 1, 2005, 2:28pm
Subject: Re: need help identifying an older faema espresso machine

hello there,

just got the same machine - a Faema c85 compact. Great looking beast and well built. Two questions though:

1: She does build up pressure to 3 bar, but does not heat. What could this be? I have the on/off knob on red (pushed in), but there seem to be no other toggles or switches.

2: Does anyone have a manual for this machine

many thanks,

boon
 View Profile Link to this post
Ziggy

Espresso: Faema Compact S single group...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly,Faema...
Posted Fri Apr 1, 2005, 10:29pm

Boon,

I just sent you the manuals I have. check your email. The unit might not be heating if you have a thermostat switch that was tripped. Look on the back of the heating element, in the middle of it is a small round black item with 2 electrical connections to it and it should have a small red button in the middle. Try pushing it and see if that works.I had that same problem. I will send a pic of mine that I took when I rebuilt it. Thanks

Ziggy
stash
stash
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Botticelli II, Bialetti...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zass 169DG
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum eSantos
Drip: Presto Scandi
Roaster: Hottop & I-Roast
Posted Fri Apr 1, 2005, 10:54pm

How about Faema grinders ???  I purchased a Faema conical burr set that I intend to use in a custom grinder design, and would love to get my hands on some technical literature showing parts detail.  Not even sure of the grinder model number though.  The conical burr set is a thing of beauty and very robust.  I found several sources of the Faema burr set for about $190, but than managed to find the set for only $60.
boon

Posted Sat Apr 2, 2005, 7:45am

Ziggy, thanks a lot. It worked. This is a wonderful machine. One more question (anyone): how do I read the water meter. There is a brass rod kind of floating behind the screen, and at times you see the actual water level coming down (or up). . Which of the two indicates the actual water level, the brass rod or the actual water level?
The machine has a direct water inflow through the main water supply. Am I supposed to turn this off once the boiler is full, or should it remain open at all times? Must sound like a dumb question to you guys, but I am a complete newbee for this kind of gear.

Thanks for any info. Great forum!!

Boon
myhd
myhd
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema Compact C85/1
Grinder: Faema A6
Drip: Bunn A10
Roaster: Got To Get One
Posted Sat Apr 2, 2005, 8:22am

Hi there,

The actual water level is what you read.

You just leave the water turned on.  That way it will fill the tank when needed.

Mine has been left on for a few years now.

And I have to agree, these are wonderful machines.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boon

Posted Mon Apr 11, 2005, 1:24pm

Just descaled my compact s/85. Nice clean hot water and steam. However, I have the impression there is not enough pressure coming throught the espresso head. It makes coffee, but it more like hot water drippiung through rather than a real espresso. I imagine that somewhere there must be a high pressure pump so as to build up the pressore over the 1.5 bars that I read on the meter, but I cannot figuer out where it is. Is it the small black box screwed on the grouphead? Or is is the pump way back that goes on when you take off steam or hot water? And if there is a high preswsure punm can it be serviced or replaced?

Thanks for any info,

boon
danceswithgoats

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Older Faema Compact
Posted Fri May 13, 2005, 9:55pm

Is it possible that your grind is too fine? Or too coarse for that matter? From what I know and understand of espresso machines is that if there is a loss in pressure it's usually the result of a leak which would be pretty obvious I would imagine. Also, some older machines take alot longer to build up to full pressure. I'm not a qualified tech. but I'm not afraid to tear these things apart and find out what's wrong with them. They really aren't made up of much. Hope this helps.

Goatman
gucciago
gucciago
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: 07 La Marzocco Linea...
Grinder: MAZZER Major with doser
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: Custom Gas Drum Roaster/PID...
Posted Tue Mar 14, 2006, 7:31pm

Ziggy, I too just got ahold of a FAEMA C85 Compact Series S/1 ( Mr.Espresso ) and I do not have any manuals.. is it too much to ask maybe to shoot me a copy of that manual?? :D  the machine has not arrved yet but Im eagerly awaiting it.. I sold my Pasquini Livia nad I think this is a more robust machine... am I on track??  I paid 485.00 for it and it seems to be fairly expensive if bought new??

Thanks!
Dennis Parham

"Roasting Harar under the blue skies of South Florida"

gucciago: G2SM13fefcc6-9b5e-495f-8834-ba9e88d0e506-5763.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
oysterhead
oysterhead
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Mac Cup V
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Tue Mar 14, 2006, 8:06pm

boon Said:

I imagine that somewhere there must be a high pressure pump so as to build up the pressore over the 1.5 bars that I read on the meter, but I cannot figuer out where it is.

Posted April 11, 2005 link

boon, i'm assuming your machine is a heat exchanger....

the pressure on your gauge is boiler pressure, which is directly related to the temperature of the water in the boiler, which is used (via the heat exchanger) to heat the water that comes through the water line and then out of your group head. the water in the boiler and the water that you make your shot with never come in contact with one another.....the pressure in your boiler should be between 1 and 1.5 bars.  you adjust the pressure up if the shot water is too cold, and down it it's too high.

the pressure that you're wanting to adjust is the pump pressure, which should be adjustable with a screw that's on the pump....follow the water line into machine and it should pretty much go directly to the pump.  on the pump there should be a screw that you can use to adjust to pump pressure, which should be between 9 and 10 bars.  however, i wouldn't adjust the pump pressure without a gauge...you won't know where your pump pressure was, or where it ends up...

i'm doubting that your pressure is too low....perhaps you can answer some questions:

does a sufficient stream of water come out when you pull a shot without the portafilter in???  (you want the answer to be yes.)

how many seconds does it take to fill up a few ounces without the portafilter in the machine? (it should only take several seconds to get a few ounces of water without the portafilter engaged)

does the stream of water coming out of the group head hiss if the machine has been sitting for a while?  (you want the answer to be yes.)

if all of these check out....your grind is probably way too fine.....

and remember that it should take somewhere between 20 and 45 seconds to pull a 1 to 2 ounce espresso.
myhd
myhd
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema Compact C85/1
Grinder: Faema A6
Drip: Bunn A10
Roaster: Got To Get One
Posted Tue Mar 14, 2006, 8:54pm

I just emailed you what I have.

Myhd
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410757780075)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+