Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Isomac Granmacinino - any input on using this grinder?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Isomac...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
LaBruno
LaBruno
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: LaPavoni Professional PLH
Posted Fri Feb 11, 2005, 2:04am
Subject: Isomac Granmacinino - any input on using this grinder?

Hi ya all !

I'm thinking of buying an Isomac Granmacinino and are wondering if
you people out there.

I have used a Isomac Prof Inox a few times and i think this is a great grinder! I have a hard time seeing any real
alternatives in this precis range. Also the design on these two a exelent !! I think the design of the Granmacinino will go
better with my LaPavoni Professional. As i said, i like the Prof Inox and belive that the Granmacinino is pretty much the same.
Any one have any experience with Isomac Granmacinino grinder?
The best price i found is 209 Euro for the 230v.....has someone found a better price? (must ship to sweden)

Will appreciate any input .

Kind regards.

// Christian, Sweden

LaBruno: e0_2.jpg
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Ozark_61
Ozark_61
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Fri Feb 11, 2005, 11:51pm
Subject: Re: Isomac Granmacinino - any input on using this grinder?

Hi Christian,
I just wrote a review a few days ago with info on this site - check it out under the Isomac grinders in Consumer reviews.  This is my first grinder and have been happy with it so far.  I can grind fine enough to choke my *$/gaggia and dial it in for my 25-30 sec shots.  Most of what I researched said that the grinder is noisy (nothing like the blade grinder I was using!), and underpowered on 110v (but I guess you're 220 - so will be fine).  It takes me 22 seconds to grind my double - so don't see any problem with power.  No static problems, but it does hold some grounds in the nose of the machine.  I grab it with one hand and bang it against the tabletop to get the extra out.. ;-)  Looks very nice sitting on the table top - the wife hasn't made me take it off the counter yet!

Cheers,
Geoff
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Sat Feb 12, 2005, 6:17am

I've been using one for 4 years now and I believe is a good grinder for home use,
some parts like the grind dial that is been upgrade fromt plastic to inox,
the motor and the inside components I believe are the same
it has a nicer look

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
LaBruno
LaBruno
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: LaPavoni Professional PLH
Posted Sat Feb 12, 2005, 7:48am

Yea! That's what i thought.....one of these would go better with my LaPavoni. Inox goes great with something like a Super Giada....but are a little to "boxy" to go with the classical LaPavoni gesign. I think i will buy me a Granmacinino....   =)   A frind of mine has an Inox, and i think it's a very god grinder. Thank's for your replys. More input in to this issue would ofcourse be appreciated!   // Christian
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
rufusag
rufusag

Espresso: ECM Giotto, ECM Boticelli I,...
Grinder: Innova I1, Rossi RR45, Astra...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: KitchenAid Ultra
Roaster: Nope
Posted Sat Feb 12, 2005, 8:02am

I have had the gm grinder for about 6 months now and, after modifying it to grind finer, have been very pleased.  

The finest factory setting worked well enough for my isomac supergiada but when I got an ECM machine that setting just wouldn't cut it at all.  It took removing some screws that blocked the top burr from coming closer to the bottom one.  

It works great like this, but if I had to do it over again I would probably buy the innova conical grinder and not bother with modifying the Isomac.

Good luck!
 View Profile Link to this post
Whodat

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02S, La Peppina
Grinder: Isomac Gran Macinino
Posted Sun Feb 13, 2005, 3:18pm

I've had my Gran Macinino for about 10 months & like it.  It grinds pretty uniformly, and can certainly grind finely enough for my spring lever machine.  It looks nice & doesn't take up too much room.

The "guts" of the machine & the casing seem very well made.  The plastic hopper & the little piece that fits inside the hopper to prevent clogging with beans are a bit brittle.  My hopper had a hairline crack at the site of one of the screw holes.  I do wish it were a bit quieter.  My biggest complaint is that sometimes oilier beans clog up the neck of the hopper.  This is easily fixed by jabbing with a little spoon for a few seconds.

My little pet peeve is that the doofuses who designed it didn't bother to put markings on the dial that you turn to adjust the fineness of the grind.

Overall I'd probably buy it again.  The only other thing I might consider is that, at least in the US, the price has gone up considerably since I bought it, & I'm not sure it's as good a value relative to other grinders as it was early last year.  I suspect that the price change was at least partly due to the drop in the value of the dollar against the euro, so I'm not sure whether this caveat would apply to you.
kaanage

Espresso: Bezerra BZ99, Gaggia...
Grinder: NS MCF, Imat Lux, Cunil...
Posted Sun Feb 13, 2005, 4:10pm

Almost all of the comments about the Lux grinder also apply the Isomacs so try a search on Lux. The main advantage of the Lux over the Isomacs is that the Lux can be easily microstepped for better grind selection.

Greg

do'in it on the cheap
Gregor
Gregor

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, Silvia...
Grinder: Isomac Granmacinino, Rocky...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2005, 1:07am

re the Isomac Granmacinino ...
I need to remove or adjust the two screws that prevent a finer grind.
How in the heck do you get the hopper off to do this?  I removed the 2 screws that hold the finger protector on.  After this I did not know what to do.  I am thinking about removing the the hex screw that holds the bottom burr.  

Please, any ideas?   I know that hopper seems brittle and I do not want to crack it.  

Thanks,
Gregor
fredrik_bt
fredrik_bt
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, laPavoni EPL
Grinder: Macap M4, Isomac Macinino...
Drip: Never
Roaster: Oven, hot air popcorn...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2005, 7:25am

I've been using the Prof inox for a while now and it's very good. I think that the differences between prof inox and GM are just cosmetical and if you liked the prof inox you should like the GM even more.

//Fredrik

//Fredrik

http://www.kaffeforum.se - Swedish coffeesite
Ozark_61
Ozark_61

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Behmor 1600, SC/TO, Poppery...
Posted Mon Feb 28, 2005, 11:14pm

The hopper should come straight off after that - it did on mine.  To get to the set screw, all I had to do was to unscrew the grind setting ring (counterclockwise)  You'll see the spot where the set screw goes in after you remove the grind ring / upper burr.  I don't even think you need to remove the plastic hopper, just in case it's stuck on yours.

Cheers
Geoff

Gregor Said:

re the Isomac Granmacinino ...
I need to remove or adjust the two screws that prevent a finer grind.
How in the heck do you get the hopper off to do this?  I removed the 2 screws that hold the finger protector on.  After this I did not know what to do.  I am thinking about removing the the hex screw that holds the bottom burr.  

Please, any ideas?   I know that hopper seems brittle and I do not want to crack it.  

Thanks,
Gregor

Posted February 28, 2005 link

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Isomac...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412045001984)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+