Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Solis Crema SL-90 ?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solis Crema...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Alberto

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Solis SL-90
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Posted Sat Jan 22, 2005, 7:59pm
Subject: Solis Crema SL-90 ?

OK, in my last post concerning whether to purchase a Miss Silvia and a Solis Maestro resulted in overwhelming response in favor of purchasing a better grinder. That is, consider the grinder first, the espresso machine secondary. I agree and will consequently increase the budget I was allowing for this.

Now, I do find the Silvia somewhat intimidating. She suffers fools and tyros poorly and is rather unforgiving of mistakes.

The Solis Crema SL90 has been recommended to me as a more forgiving machine, that can be used with the pressurized PF's initially until knowledge, practice and confidence level build up to move to the unpressurized ones, etc. Eventually, of course, one will mortage one's home, set a separate room with plumbing and install a professional machine until someone comes and hits you with a tranquilizer dart - but meanwhile....

How about that SL 90, which appears to be in the same price range and Miss Silvia the dominatrix?

Alberto
 View Profile Link to this post
Tazzadoro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Control and a...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & KitchenAid...
Vac Pot: Nicro, FlavorSeal
Drip: Zojirushi Fresh Brew
Posted Sat Jan 22, 2005, 9:36pm
Subject: Re: Solis Crema SL-90 ?

I also began with the SL-90 and feel it was an excellent choice for a beginner.  I have recently advanced to an Expobar, while keeping the SL-90 as a secure "lifeboat" for any eventual emergency. I actually feel the microfoam produced by the Solis was superior to that which I make on my Expobar.  Hopefully, with patience and practice, I will soon equal the microfoam I produced on the Solis.   One of the most important additions was my purchase of a Mini Mazzer.  This added greatly to making great drinks.

I would strongly suggest reading Marc's review of the SL-90 which you can find by doing a search on this site.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Fred1

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sun Jan 23, 2005, 7:56am

Alberto,

The silvia is a tough machine to master, but, when you do she is capable of producing incredible espresso.  The SL-90 is much less intimidating.  Starting off with the pressurized PF (training wheels) then progressing to the non-pressurized PF when you are ready is a good plan.  You will probably get upgrade fever anyway and wind up with an HX machine or a dual boiler some day.  The SL-90 will provide a backup machine for you.  Just remember the good grinder so when you do upgrade, you will only have to change the machine.

Good luck,

Fred
Alberto

Espresso: Solis SL-90
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Posted Sun Jan 23, 2005, 4:06pm

Tazzadoro Said:

I also began with the SL-90 and feel it was an excellent choice for a beginner.  I have recently advanced to an Expobar, while keeping the SL-90 as a secure "lifeboat" for any eventual emergency. I actually feel the microfoam produced by the Solis was superior to that which I make on my Expobar.  Hopefully, with patience and practice, I will soon equal the microfoam I produced on the Solis.   One of the most important additions was my purchase of a Mini Mazzer.  This added greatly to making great drinks.

I would strongly suggest reading Marc's review of the SL-90 which you can find by doing a search on this site.

Posted January 22, 2005 link

Tazzadoro

Thank you. I searched and found two Marc's reviews, different Marcs and reviews. But good insights. Much appreciated.

Fred1 Said:

Alberto,

The silvia is a tough machine to master, but, when you do she is capable of producing incredible espresso.  The SL-90 is much less intimidating.  Starting off with the pressurized PF (training wheels) then progressing to the non-pressurized PF when you are ready is a good plan.  You will probably get upgrade fever anyway and wind up with an HX machine or a dual boiler some day.  The SL-90 will provide a backup machine for you.  Just remember the good grinder so when you do upgrade, you will only have to change the machine.

Good luck,

Fred

Posted January 23, 2005 link

Fred

Good advice. I like the analogy of the training wheels. Sounds like a good bike that I can ride after learning and building confidence without wheels. Keep a few years and move on to bigger and better....

Alberto
scubadoo97
scubadoo97
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: got one of those too
Drip: Aeropress, Clarity, FP,...
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Sun Jan 23, 2005, 5:47pm

I have a SL70 and can tell you with a good grinder these machines will produce very good espresso and the steaming is fantastic on the Solis machines.  Yes you can get good microfoam with very little experience.  The only problem I see with the Solis machines is you can not make multiple drinks for guests without spending a lot of time in the kitchen but this is a fault of all single boiler machines.   I also wish it had a full sizes portafilter.  You don't have to temp surf as much as with a Silvia.  I just run a blank shot and pull my shots when the ready light goes on.  If you go with a Solis get the non-pressurized filters.  I only use the pressurized one for cleaning or doing the portafilter wiggle.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solis Crema...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.454048871994)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+