Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Wega Lyra questions
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Wega Lyra...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Kagy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 3, 2005, 11:41pm
Subject: Wega Lyra questions

I'm about to pull the trigger on my first decent espresso machine and have decided on the Wega Lyra automatic vibe version.  It's taken a lot of deliberation (waaay too much) and viewing posts on this forum but I have a couple of questions.

Will the Wega vibe machine will work on a timer?  I usually only drink coffee in the morning and I'd like to save on noise / electricity.

Also, how much louder is the vibe pump versus rotary?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin
 View Profile Link to this post
krzyhobo
krzyhobo
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: FB70/Wega
Grinder: Rio/Mazzer
Drip: Pourover
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 12:42am
Subject: Re: Wega Lyra questions

First of all, congratulations on an excellent choice.  The Lyra won't disappoint.

A timer should be no problem at all.  Granted my Lyra is the semiauto version, but the additional electronics in the auto shouldn't be affected by a timer in any way.

As far as your noise concern, I don't think it's a big enough to deal justify spending the additional money.  I felt comfortable using mine in a studio apartment all hours of the night without fear of waking up the neighbors.  I'm not even sure that a volumetric pump would be quieter so much as maybe just less noticeable and rattle-y.
strugs
strugs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 12:52am

Kagy,

As soon as you receive your machine, let me know and I will send you all of your WWDP membership documents.

Timer should not be too much of an issue.  I keep mine on 24/7 since the machine's hot water tap comes in useful at all hours of the day.  

As for the pump noise, I have not heard a rotary pump in a home environment, but there are CG members that claim they are not as quiet as you might think.  From what I understand, they do make a fair amount of noise, but it sounds different than a vibe pump.  As Karl pointed out, probably not worth the cost differential.  Having said that, if and when my vibe pump dies, I may consider replacing it with a rotary, and mounting the new pump in my basement below my kitchen.  That way, the noise of the pump could be eliminated altogether.

In any event, congrats on the fine choise in machines - you will not regret your purchase.

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
FXDXT
FXDXT
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivaldi II
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid
Vac Pot: Sunbean
Drip: Vac: Royal Balance Brewer
Roaster: RK Drum Roaster/Hottop
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 1:20pm

A timer will void your warranty.
Check with EPNW.

Tom
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 3:02pm

FXDXT Said:

A timer will void your warranty.
Check with EPNW.

Tom

Posted January 4, 2005 link

if they ask...hehehehe

I did not have a problem when I had mine on a timer.... I did it for about 3 months b4 I realized I get up at all different hours and a timer is no good for my personal needs......I do not use it now.....
I actually took the case off my Wega and now it is quieter than my microwave....
CONGRATS on the new machine... we all love our WEGAs and I am sure you will also...

DOM (owner of the exoWEGA)

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
Rick
Rick

Espresso: Wega Mininova Inox Auto...
Grinder: Macap M4 stepped
Drip: Melitta #2 cone filter
Roaster: Stir-Crazy/Infinity Turbo...
Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 5:33pm

My Wega auto rotary works fine on a timer -- there's no reason why an auto vibe should be any different.  A timer could present problems on a machine that isn't plumbed-in (e.g. somebody forgets to fill the water reservoir, and "oops"!), but otherwise I can't think of any reason why it should be a problem.  Plumbing it in is part of the charm of the Wega, especially with its excellent drip tray and drain.  

As for the noise, the Wega rotary is noisier than I expected, but that could be mitigated by a careful tuning of the body screws, and perhaps a few fibre washers.  For the ultimate stealth machine, one must remove the pump and mount it under the counter.  Hmmmmmmmm.  Sounds like a great mod for "exoWEGA"! Dom, you're always ahead of the curve!  ;-)

Rick
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 6:18pm

It will work....yep it will......absoluty.

It will void your warranty, yep, it's true.

We have found that machines operated on timers have a reduced life of the control unit. The best solution is to put a relay on the power switch connection to the control unit and all is well.

The best way to maintain any espresso machine is to leave it up and running 24/7. It uses less energy than heating the machine from a cold start daily, and it will have reduced scale build up. Our reccomendation is to turn it on and leave it on, even if it is the pour over unit.

Terry Z
Kagy

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 8:52pm

Thanks so much for all the replies!  I'll probably just leave it on 24/7.  Now I just need to figure out where to order it.  Looks like there are 2 options - espressoparts or the dailygrind.   I know that espresso parts has them in stock.  The daily grind has the auto listed for 1350 which seems like a great price.  

Thanks again!

Kevin
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 10:52pm

Kagy,

I know a guy at espressoparts that might be able to facilitate a great deal ;-) seems to know the machine rather well.

Terry Z
Rick
Rick

Espresso: Wega Mininova Inox Auto...
Grinder: Macap M4 stepped
Drip: Melitta #2 cone filter
Roaster: Stir-Crazy/Infinity Turbo...
Posted Wed Jan 5, 2005, 10:01am

terryz Said:

It will work....yep it will......absoluty.

It will void your warranty, yep, it's true.

We have found that machines operated on timers have a reduced life of the control unit. The best solution is to put a relay on the power switch connection to the control unit and all is well.

Posted January 4, 2005 link

Terry, thanks for joining in.

Are you saying that machines operated on a timer are more prone to control unit failure than machines turned on and off manually each day, or that machines turned on and off daily by any means are more prone to failure?

Rick
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Wega Lyra...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.414865016937)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+