Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rancilio Epoca 2Gr Pump not working
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Epoca...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
rtega

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 11:02am
Subject: Rancilio Epoca 2Gr Pump not working

Hi,

I recently bought a 2nd hand Rancilio Epoca 2 DE machine. It has been working for a month without any problems. A week ago, the left brew head started to pour only drips of water instead of a steady stream so I decided to clean the head with the blind filter. It took about 4-5 tries to finally get it back to normal. After that I emptied the boiler as well to remove any regular tap water that could have been left in the boiler (the previous owner probably used it on unfiltered tap water I guess because the taste of the coffee was more sour than what I got from my Silvia). I let the pump do it's work after that and fill it up completely. I didn't do a warm up though as it was by that time late in the evening so I switched it off and left it standing for a week.
Today I switched it back on and nothing happened. The light of the water level was green but the boiler wasn't heating. I could hear the sound of the contactor when I switched the boiler contact but no heating happened (my watt reader was showing 8 watt consumption not 3800 watt as usual). To check whether it was only the boiler, I switched the machine off, drained some water from the boiler and switched it back on. The light of the boiler level was now red but the pump wasn't initiating. I noticed that the left most light of the left group was on. When I removed the top cover, the light on the fan of the right brew head was on but the light on the  fan of the left brew head was off. Does anyone know what this means and what I could try to get it back working?

Thanks a lot if anyone could help me out on this one.

Kind regards,

Reinaert
 View Profile Link to this post
rtega

Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 11:20pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Epoca 2Gr Pump not working

Upon closer inspection, I guess what the manual calls fan is usually called "flow meter". Since the light on the flow meter of the first group doesn't come on, could it be that it is broken?
rtega

Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 12:05am

I tried to remove the cover of the flow meter, which didn't want to come loose and put the screws and the leads back on. Now the led on both groups work again but the machine still stands still and the pump doesn't engage. The left most light on front panel is still on.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 5:37am

Mod note: moved to mods and restorations from espresso machines.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rtega

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 2:22am

Still can't get it back to work. Could it be that the level board is kaput or that some fuse is blown?
rtega

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2014, 7:11am

I checked whether the two fuses labelled F1 and F2 on the main board have blown, but they seem to be OK. Also the fuse on the heating element is set and works. I'm slowly running out of ideas. Does anyone know anything that could get this one back to work?
Giampiero

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano
Grinder: Fiorenzato F5
Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 9:12pm

It seems your machine issued 2 different problem.
1) no heating, it could be a pressurestat failure, or an heating element failure or a power relay failure, or maybe your machine has a limit thermostat which has shut down, did you checked with a multimeter the tension ( not only the watt consumption) on the heating element while should works?
2) pump failure, it could be or a motor failure, or some blockage of the pump itself, or a mainboard failure, just try to check with a multimeter on the motor connector.
About the flow meter lights don't worry   the lights are on every time the small magnets fixed on the internal helix are in "contact" with the sensor of the flow meter head so is possible one is on and the other off while in stand by , but when brewing you should to see an intermittent flashing of the group flow meter activated for the brewing.
This in brief only a few idea.
rtega

Posted Mon Jun 23, 2014, 11:12pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
1) No, currently the boiler is not filled so the heating element shouldn't heat.
2) I checked the connector of the motor with a multimeter but I measured no voltage at all.
Giampiero

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano
Grinder: Fiorenzato F5
Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014, 2:14am

did you test the output of the transformer, should be a toroidal transformer somewhere inside the machine.
rtega

Posted Tue Jun 24, 2014, 3:26am

A technician (not specialized in coffee machines) did and told me that the output was there and so the problem shouldn't be there.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Epoca...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209461927414)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+