Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
My Oscar Modifications
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > My Oscar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
SyracuseCoffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Compak K3
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 5:24am
Subject: My Oscar Modifications

Like many, I made the following modifications to my Oscar....which I'm still working on:
  1.  Added Musica grouphead flow restrictors
  2.  Added a vacuum relief valve
  3.  Added an OPV
  4.  Modified the boiler drain so that it can actually function as a drain.

My oscar is a plumbed machine and I'm still working on fixing leaks in the OPV line.  I ordered the wrong compression fittings.  Compression fittings for steel pipe don't work that great on teflon tubing.  Another costly parts mistake.

Here's a photo of my drain line which might be a little different than most.  It works great and I can access (with a tool) from top hatch without having to take the top off.  The first fitting is  BSP to NPT adapter.  The rest of the parts are from McMaster Carr...except for the barb fitting which was from Home Depot.

SyracuseCoffee: Drain Parts.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 5:37am
Subject: Re: My Oscar Modifications

And here's what it looks like installed.  The ball valve is all brass and rated for high temp and pressure and is very compact.  I mounted a brass corner brace under the drain fittings for support. Even though the line is only 1/4", it's fairly "hefty" and I don't want any sag which could occur over time.  It was a pain to install but it works great and will make periodic draining and descaling the boiler much easier. More on that another day.

The photo also shows the OPV (from Chris Coffee).  I mounted it differently than "normal."  This OPV is accessible through the top hatch so I can adjust it on the fly if I need to without having to remove the top.  I don't know if I will.  But since I installed an OPV, I wanted to make it useable should I ever get into experimenting with brew pressure.  Probably not...but maybe.  

I used standard pipe mounting brackets and clamp with 3/8" rod cut to size.  Since my Oscar is plumbed, I wanted to avoid having it subject to constant line pressure so I installed it after the solenoid.   The OPV is teed into the HX inlet tube from the solenoid.  This photo doesn't show the compression fitting and tube from the HX inlet.  Unfortunately, I need to change the compression fittings.  I wish I knew that before I re-assembled the machine!

SyracuseCoffee: Drain and OPV.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 6:08am

As part of the drain setup, I removed part of the bottom grate to allow a drain hose to run out of the machine to a drain.  I used a Dremel to cut the bottom grate and installed rubber strips around the opening that I got from McMaster Carr.  The drip tray will have a separate drain hose.

SyracuseCoffee: drain opening.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 8:02am

One last photo for now that shows the modifications...including the damn OPV compression fittings that I need to replace.

I got the vacuum relief valve setup from Chris Coffee.  I could not get it to ft  on the original steam valve port because the vacuum relief valve hit the solenoid valve body. So I had to move the level sensor to its current location and installed the vacuum relief valve in the middle.  The level sensor was a real pain to remove and was loaded with thread locker compound.  Impact wrench solved that problem.

Then when I began installing the vacuum relief valve on the center port, the pressure relief valve got in the way.  I had to remove that to finish installing the vacuum relieve valve.  Once the vacuum relief valve was installed, it was a real pain to bend the steam line to fit.  Notice the large "hump" in the modified steam line.  I tried bending by hand, but to get that much of a bend, I had to get "rough" on the tubing with pliers and an adjustable wrench.  One solution seemed to lead to another problem.  

Hopefully, I can locate and install alternate compression fittings and finish testing and "calibrating" my Oscar.  Have lot's of stuff at work and home that also keep me occupied.

SyracuseCoffee: Oscar Modifications Markup2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 8:16am

Does anyone know if I can buy a replacement teflon line that goes between the solenoid and HX inlet that is already cut to size with the ends flared to accept the existing Simonelli compression fittings?

I'm not sure if I'll have to replace the whole line when I remove my faulty compression tee and I've never flared teflon tubing before.  I guess it depends how much tubing "damage" was done by the current tee and if the new fitting can fit in the same (or less) gap that was needed by the faulty compression tee.
marosmith
marosmith
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 9:58pm

I looked for the opv part at Chris coffee but couldn't find it, you have a link?
plindy
plindy
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: SJ Pharos Lido HG-One
Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 1:59am

Most impressive effort !!

The teflon 4x6 tube , self flares ...
cut tube squarely , push tube down over the nipple section , tighten nut fully , = flared end
have used 1/4 " tubing , check pressure and temperature rating and wall thickness

tube
with ends
female fitting
male fitting pre order
CC OPV out of stock for over an month
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 8:20am

marosmith Said:

I looked for the opv part at Chris coffee but couldn't find it, you have a link?

Posted April 28, 2014 link

Here's the information that I have.

OPV:  Part Number - EV321 (expansion valve for Adreja Premium and Isomac), $32.95

This includes the brass valve with a 3/8" BSPP thread attached to a reducing tee with two 1/8" BSPP threads.

I purchased a 1/8" BSP cap and a 1/8" BSPP coupling and 1/8"BSPP compression fitting separately.  Don't make the mistake I did. Make sure your compression fitting is for plastic/teflon tubing and not steel tubing.
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 8:23am

plindy Said:

Most impressive effort !!

The teflon 4x6 tube , self flares ...
cut tube squarely , push tube down over the nipple section , tighten nut fully , = flared end
have used 1/4 " tubing , check pressure and temperature rating and wall thickness

tube
with ends
female fitting
male fitting pre order
CC OPV out of stock for over an month

Posted April 29, 2014 link

Thanks for the good news.  I can install a new line without too much difficulty then.  Just need to get more parts....which seems to be the story when working on these machines.  But on the bright side, if I have enough left over parts from my mistakes, then I can probably build a backup espresso machine.  :-)
SyracuseCoffee

Posted Tue Apr 29, 2014, 9:05am

And I put the grouphead flow restrictors that I mentioned in the first post.  I didn't bother posting any pictures since everyone has seen those.  

As luck would have it, my grouphead did not have threads so I followed instructions in other threads and used an M8 tap to add them.   Although I may have deviated slightly because I used spray Pam (with butter flavor) as my lubricant and for chip removal.  Worked great.  Cleaned everything afterward with a nylon tube brush, lightly soapy water, and plenty of clean water.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > My Oscar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273822069168)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+