Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Livia 90 tripping breaker
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Livia 90...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
shawntell

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Rancilio
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 7:07am
Subject: Livia 90 tripping breaker

We have a Livia 90 that we have been using several times every day for the past 9 years.  About a month ago it started tripping our breaker.  My husband replaced the power cord on it and we had glorious espresso for another month.  Suddenly it started tripping the breaker again as soon as we turn it on.  I read in a previous thread it could be a short in the heating element.  Could someone please give a little more detail?  I do not want to scrap this machine or send it to Pasquini if we can get around it.  It has served us very well.  We have made well over 10,000 espressos with it and I'm missing it dearly!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 9:45am
Subject: Re: Livia 90 tripping breaker

In simple terms, if the heater becomes damaged, it exposes the electrical parts to water, this will cause a short inside the boiler and the circuit breaker may trip and if you have ground fault outlets, it will trip those for sure. If this is the case, it is not safe to use and there is a real chance to become injured or worse by electric means.

After that much use, the machine is due for a full service esp if it has not been done before, parts wear, gaskets start to leak, scale builds up, it is normal as the machine is used.

At this point, a full service will be a full disasembly of the machine to all it's parts, each part needs to be checked, cleaned and if needed, replaced. If you can repair your own cars, then most likely you could do the service but if your family needs to have all things mechanical be vended out to service people then it is most likely a job for a service center.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 2:54pm

It could well be the machine, but it's worth verifying that there is nothing else on the circuit you are using.  That can cause it to trip even if there is no problem with the machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
ricardo_dacosta

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 5:01pm

One way of checking whether there is a short in the heating element is to unplug the machine, take the bottom cover off which gives you access to the boiler wiring...disconnect the wires from the heat element and measure the resistance of the probes with a multimeter. It should read between 10-12...if lower you know you have a bad heating element. if any of the above sounds too much for you, definitely send the machine to Pasquini or find a local espresso machine repair person...craigslist might be a good source...those machines are very easy to work on and fix.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Livia 90...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.173408985138)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+