Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000 V Acting Up
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jonsauer

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000 V
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 9:38pm
Subject: Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000 V Acting Up

I have had this machine for 3 months now.  I went through the whole thing and descaled all of it including the boiler and all tubing.  I have replaced the pressurestat, high limit boilerstat, wiring, and the heating element in the last month.  When I turn it on, I have voltage to the two connecting wires on the heating element but it will not heat up.  I had it running today just fine for the last two days. I pulled some shots and steamed some milk, came back ten minutes later and pressure was dropping and it was not heating back up.  Tonight I turned it on and it heated up for about 5 minutes and then stopped.  Any ideas on what I should be checking?

Mac 2000 V, 120V, 1 Group
 View Profile Link to this post
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:21am
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000 V Acting Up

Sounds like an open circuit in the heating element coils that opens up when they get hot. But if you've replaced the wiring, any wire or number of wires can be crossed or have a poor connection to the terminals. Did you use wires with silicone or high-heat insulation? If you just used regular automotive primary wire, the insulation will break down in short order due to the heat inside (yes, it's hotter than under the hood of a car). Check the integrity of all crimp connections esp. the ones to the element itself, you may be reading voltage at the wires but it may not be travelling through the crimp terminals.
jonsauer

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:36am

I have checked continuity and everything seems fine.  When I am checking the wires at the element I disconnect them from the element and then place my probes in the ring terminals connected to the wires.  I get voltage when its not connected to the element. I then unplug it, place the wires back onto the terminals on the heating element.  I then dont have voltage when I turn it on.  The wiring is a T90 Nylon/TWN75 rated at 600 volts in 12 guage.  

Thanks

Click Here (www.nexans.ca)
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 6:51am

Check the voltage drop across all of the switches/devices in the heater circuit.   All except the coil should be approximately zero.
A volt meter is so sensitive that measuring with the coil disconnected can be misleading. Ie, a little leakage is enough to produce a reading.  Be careful.  You might also consider a temp sensor/PID/SSR.
jonsauer

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 7:36am

When wires are disconnected from terminals it is reading 120 volts.  Could that actually be leakage as you are saying?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 7:54am

To me, it does not sound like a heating element, rather something in the control circuit. When you connect the heater and then check between the two wires that go to the heater, you may see a voltage drop due to the resistance in the heater but in essence, you have just connected the wires together and it would be the same as putting both leads of the meter on the same terminnal, you would not see any voltage. You need to reference to another location such as the machine nutural or ground, between the heater and ground or nutural, you should see wall outlet voltage.

I suspect a loose wire/connection, something in the Pstat (do you have a vacuum breaker in the machine? If you do not it would operate just like you are saying, on for about 5 minutes or so then as it starts to build pressure, it will switch off the Pstat even though the machine is not fully hot yet.

That does not explain how it stopped working in the middle of a session though.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonsauer

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 11:50am

I have put in all new wiring in the circuit.  The pstat terminals are connected.  What else should I check for?
jonsauer

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 12:47pm

Can a machine run on a circuit such as mine, not trip the breaker and stay on, and yet not operate properly by not heating up?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 1:45pm

If the circuit says on, if the machine operates properly and the only issue is that it is not getting hot, there are only a few issues it can be.
Loose connection
Bad wiring
Bad switch
Bad Pstat
Bad heater
Bad or tripped overtemp safety switch/thermostat (check red reset button if it has one)
or a bad PC board.

those are pretty much the only things in the heat circuit

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonsauer

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 4:42pm

Tonight I turned it on and it wouldnt heat up.  I kicked on the pump and pulled some water through the brew head and it started heating up.  What could that be a sign of?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216079950333)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+