Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Nuova Simonelli (Semi-Volumetric) restoration/modification
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bigdaub
bigdaub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Aurelia &...
Grinder: Versalab M3, Nuova Simonelli...
Roaster: Ambex YM-15, Hottop B
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 10:03pm
Subject: Nuova Simonelli (Semi-Volumetric) restoration/modification

I bought a used 2009 2GR Aurelia (Volumetric) off eBay. Turns out she needed a little more work that I had originally planned (Isn't that how all projects go). It looked like it was used and stored outside :( Rusted in a few spots, cracked boiler at 2 HX ports, and some body damage during shipping.

This machine is going to be used primarily as a lab machine and training tool so I wanted to make a few modifications to improve it's usefulness. (and I wanted to have a little fun)

1st Modification - Repaint the shell to minimize reflection. This machine will be used for several training videos. With its current configuration any scene lighting bounced back like a giant light house. The back and sides will be painted satin black and any shiny stainless will be sanded for a brushed look.

2nd Modification "The Semi-Volumetric" - For training having a machine with one group head volumetric and one head semi-automatic would be nice. It is easy to mimic a semi on a volumetric, but I wanted it to look like the real thing. Originally I was looking into replacing the electronics into the head but the main board for the volumetric and semi are different. Also each board requires dip switches to correlate with the main board and those systems are not the same. The plan now is to just replace the silicon button and the plastic face plate. The center button on the volumetric board lines up with the semi face plate. I am hoping I can just disable one of the flow meters to get the center button to run continuously. If that doesn't work I can just program that button to run for a long time before removing the other silicon buttons.

The goal is to have this up and running by the end of the weekend. Hopefully my silver solder joints hold up and nothing big slow down the project. Here is where I am at so far.

http://imgur.com/a/nPZqv#0

bigdaub: php3hgRJeAM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 7:45am
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli (Semi-Volumetric) restoration/modification

There should be a manual button for each group head, no modification of the machine is needed, it will continue to brew as long as the manual button has been activated, you are in 100% control and all the volumetric functions are bypassed.

Either brew head could be used interchangeably as both group heads have manual buttons. From your pics, my best guess is that the right most button on each control pad is the manual button.

Good luck with the project. It is very common for shipping damage  on large heavy items and having more problems than advertised is common on Ebay. It is best to buy local when looking at things like this.

That is a heck of a project, so far, it looks good. Used commercial machines are often very dirty inside but broken fittings etc, are not. That is a lot of work you are doing, in the end, you will have a nice machine. I hope you did not pay much for it, used and operational two group machines are apx $1K or so at dealers, less on Craigs list ect. I paid $75 for an operational two group Brazilia that was listed for "parts" When I opened it up, all it need was the vacuum breaker to be cleaned out. It had an new rotary pump, motor and Pstat. It could stand to get an overhaul like what you are doing and some of the wires need to be replaced but are still functional.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
bigdaub
bigdaub

Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 7:33pm

UPDATE: Was able to get a lot done today. Most all of the plumbing is back in with new seals and gaskets. My soldering was a little messy :) but it should hold. Tomorrow will  be the electrical system and first test.

http://imgur.com/a/nPZqv

bigdaub: phpdHFjiQAM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
bigdaub
bigdaub

Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 8:27pm

Update: Today I was able to run the electric and setup the flow jet. Re-wired the machine then turned it on.... Then found another crack in the boiler.... Pulled the boiler and silver soldered the third crack. Put everything back together again and the tank currently holding under the flow jets 40 psi. I also took a few pictures of the machine with the back and part of the front face. I hope Bruce Wayne approves of the color scheme.  

http://imgur.com/a/nPZqv

bigdaub: phpktaNcoAM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
bigdaub
bigdaub

Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 10:22am

And here she is :)

bigdaub: DSC01500-Small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Mar 5, 2014, 3:12pm

Looks pretty darn good!
I know it is a lot of work to go through it, now however, with the care I am sure you will give it, it will be keeping you happy for a long time to come :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250398159027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+