Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
newbie: Mods for my Delonghi eco310
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > newbie: Mods for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ace_parsnip

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 9:58am
Subject: newbie: Mods for my Delonghi eco310

Hello i'll give you the low down on me and the situation now.

Im newbie to making my own coffee but have been lucky enough to have great shops around my area Colanna & Smalls in Bath, Full Court Press In Bristol the list goes on and i have just come back from Oz and NZ drinking coffee all over the place!. After all this a real spark and interest into coffee has been ignited so i now own a Delonghi 310 and Dualit 75015 Burr Coffee Grinder (basic i know) i'm getting what i'd like to think is a nice espresso shot decent amount of crema and importantly a decent(ish) flavour.

Just wondering if there is anything i can do to my machine to improve it? i have just done this (the none permanent method) but haven't tried it just yet.
Click Here (protofusion.org)

im also struggling to get a decent micro foam i'm pretty sure i understand the technique after practise and youtube videos. I pour the milk through the crema but when it comes to near the top the remaining milk just creates a nice white fluffy circle. It doesn't feel like you could create a latte art with it as its not very fluid. Can i do anything with the steam wand? do people use it with the outer plastic part removed? or cover up the little hole on it that sucks is extra air?

hopefully someone can understand what im hoping looking for but basically. Can i do anything to improve this machine haha.

Thanks in advance for any help

Callum
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 7:29am
Subject: Re: newbie: Mods for my Delonghi eco310

Hi,
Welcome to the board.
A lot of your problems are directly connected to the equipment you have. The froth aider on the steam wand makes it impossible to get good microfoam. Microfoam looks like wet latex paint, smooth, thick and not a bubble in sight. The froth aid on the wand makes it easy for beginners to get something but it injects too much air and produces soap suds, not micro foam. I don't know about for your machine in specific but a lot of people replace the wand with a straight tube wand, one without the plastic and the holes in the side of the tube. That is the only way to get microfoam. As a start, you could seal up the hole in the side and you may get lucky and have some improvement but those style wands are replaced by people who want micro foam.

The grinder is not able to properly grind for espresso either. While it likely will do OK for other than espresso brewing such as drip, it is not designed for espresso, espresso requires a bi or tirmodal grind that is very consistent, that grinder just is not able to do it, sorry for the news. You will get something for sure but you will only be frustrated with it in the end.

Taking out the pressure device is a good start but it requires a espresso able grinder as the grind is what produces the back pressure to regulate flow of water through the puck. That pressure device is there to allow something to be brewed from stale, store bought, pre ground coffee. It will not be espresso and it will not be good but the buyer of the machine will be happy. It is only when you try to move up the quality ladder to better espresso that the limitations of the devices, placed there to help the rank beginner, start to show and get in the way.

It is not hard at all to get better than coffee shop espresso, with a little work on your part, FRESH coffee (less than two weeks from THE DAY IT WAS ROASTED!) and a grinder that is espresso able, nearly anyone can blow away the corner coffee shop for espresso.

One of the biggest things you can do to improve the coffee is to have it fresh! Good roasters print right on the bag, the day they roasted the coffee. If there is a "best by" or "use before" date on the bag, you have no way to know how old it is and it is extremely likely it is hopelessly stale before you even pick it up off the shelf. FRESH BEANS are a mandatory requirement, just because the beans may have been bought at a coffee shop, without a roast on date, they are likely stale. Stale will produce fast shots, under extraction, low or no crema and nasty stale flavored coffee.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ace_parsnip

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 9:42am

Thank you very much for the advice. I tried the depressurised filter but as you said the machine doesn't grind fine enough so the extraction was very fast with zero crema. I have now remade the filter and im back to my normal extraction. I have also covered the little hole on the steam wand and that seems to have helped with myself being able to control the amount of air going in. I'll look into the steam wand mod. Luckily were i moving there is a well respected coffee roaster up the road so i'll be getting nice fresh coffee :).
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 10:09am

It is nice to hear that things are getting better!

Espresso is all about small things, small changes can have a big effect in the result.

I doubt there will ever be a PERFECT shot, there is always something that could have been done better so there is a lifetime of tinkering with the shots from now on!

congrats on moving closer to a roaster. Some roasters know what they are doing and are better than others. I have no idea what you are moving to, even if you said who it was. Mail order is a VERY good way to go. Quality roasters will have the beans at your door in 3 days post roast for pretty much wherever you are but I suppose that if it had to cross the ocean the wait could be longer.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > newbie: Mods for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192312955856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+