Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
"BlueJava": Silvia + Arduino mod
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > "BlueJava":...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jonr

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 11:52am
Subject: Re: "BlueJava": Silvia + Arduino mod

I haven't noticed any noise issues - I suspect that the inductance of the solenoid pump is enough of a filter.   The turn on pulse of a triac (non zero crossing) also creates noise - at lower frequencies that are harder to filter out.
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Mon May 5, 2014, 4:20am

jonr Said:

I haven't noticed any noise issues - I suspect that the inductance of the solenoid pump is enough of a filter.   The turn on pulse of a triac (non zero crossing) also creates noise - at lower frequencies that are harder to filter out.

Posted May 3, 2014 link

Yes, the lamp dimmers and router speed controllers, etc., that use phase angle control would create a similar condition, but at 50 or 60Hz primary frequency.  It is good to know that the higher frequency PWM has not created a noise problem for you.

Where can I get information in the form of schematics and/or components?  I would like to try this at some point.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jonr

Posted Mon May 5, 2014, 2:46pm

The topic on my build is here..  Basically temperature and flow profiling (using a scale).  I'm quite happy with it (ie, great espresso), although there may be more convenient ways to measure flow.
buestad

Espresso: Rancilio Silva
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 2:45pm

Saturday night, the wife is out and I watch the kids, and have the night to myself geeking out on my project.

I have got some new small resistors which I have soldered some of to the prototype board.
I also got some LED bargraphs which is now fitted into an original boiler light housing.

buestad: IMAG0597 (1).jpg
(Click for larger image)
buestad

Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 2:46pm

...the board...

buestad: IMAG0595 (1).jpg
(Click for larger image)
buestad

Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 2:46pm

...and the light...

buestad: IMAG0598.000.jpg
(Click for larger image)
buestad

Posted Mon Nov 3, 2014, 12:18pm

A little update on my slow progressing project. As I have said to some of my colleges, who is nagging to finish the project; the fun part is to work on it, not to finish as fast as possible :)

I have done most of the programming in Arduino now. The PID seems to work but I have only simulated the temperature using a pot-meter. The prototype shield has by the way almost come together. I have soldered the I/O to the opamp (which amplifies the PT100), connection pins and resistor array for the LED bargraph.

I have also worked out where to place the SSD releays and mounted the pressure transmitter next to the pump.

Next up is to get implement bluetooth communication in the Android app so it can communicate with the Arduino.

buestad: blueJava.jpg
(Click for larger image)
dannyzee

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza 685 Virtuoso...
Posted Mon Nov 3, 2014, 8:31pm

One of your earlier posts you were looking for design ideas for your Silvia. Might be a little late, (but is it ever too late to add another mod?)  but, you might consider adding a couple of 100 Watt PTC heaters to your grouphead (on the Silvia, it is a large mass of heat sucking bronze, mounted well away from boiler temperatures, and runs substantially cooler than the boiler, forcing you to attempt to guess at your final brew temp.) I have implemented this on my Silvia, and love it!  Oops, forgot to mention, the PTC heaters are PID controlled to run at whatever you want your brew temp to be. (Again, this massive hunk of brass/bronze will drag your boiler water temperature up or down to the temperature of the group as the water passes through)
I use PID control to maintain the temperature of the group, but use on/off control whenever the group is more than 5 degrees away from setpoint. (Like when you first turn on the machine) This allows for faster warmup of the machine than does PID alone.

Another mod I have implemented is adding a pre-pressurized volume tank and a solenoid valve in front of the boiler. I open the solenoid, start the pump, pre-infuse at low pressure for 2 seconds, close the solenoid (leaving pump running, charging volume tank to 9 bars over the next 10 seconds)  open solenoid again, the .5 sec later, turn off pump, volume tank discharges pressure through coffee puck at a slowly decreasing pressure, until the volume tank runs out of water at 75 psig. (The pre-charge pressure I put in the tank bladder to give me 60 mL output from a starting pressure of 130 psi.)

This mod also takes the flow profile of a pump machine (flow starts low and keeps increasing until you shut off pump)
and makes it more closely resemble the flow profile of a lever machine. (Flow starts low, increases slightly, then tapers off)

Another simple mod, that makes a fairly significant difference, is to add an extension to the water inlet fitting, to carry the water entering the boiler down to the bottom. (New water into the boiler currently is dumped in at the top, right beside the overflow tube that carries the water to the group.)

I have used a PIC to do my control, (simple as it is) and plan quite a few future changes, the biggest of which would be to charge my tank using a pressure transducer, rather than simple time (even though the OPV makes time good enough) and an ultrasonic level transmitter on the water tank.
buestad

Posted Wed Nov 5, 2014, 12:02am

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll add the PTC heaters. Do you mount them in the top of the group head using heat paste and insulation? Where do you measure temperature? I am considering adding a PT100 in the hex bolt hole in the group head anyway, so maybe I could use that for the PTC heaters?

I found some ptc heaters 100w 220v 100degC at eBay for 20$. Maybe those will work?

About the pressure tank: can you fit that inside the Silva? What size do you use?
dannyzee

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza 685 Virtuoso...
Posted Fri Nov 7, 2014, 4:00pm

buestad Said:

Thanks for the tips! Maybe I'll add the PTC heaters. Do you mount them in the top of the group head using heat paste and insulation? Where do you measure temperature? I am considering adding a PT100 in the hex bolt hole in the group head anyway, so maybe I could use that for the PTC heaters?

I found some ptc heaters 100w 220v 100degC at eBay for 20$. Maybe those will work?

About the pressure tank: can you fit that inside the Silva? What size do you use?

Posted November 5, 2014 link

I used 3 different sizes of ptc heaters (one I even made myself) in an attempt to get a reasonable amount of heat on the group.
I ended up with pretty close to 200 watts of 120V heaters on mine & it heats almost as fast as the boiler gets to setpoint from cold, so 200W seems about right. (I did it originally with 1 100W heater, and it did work, it just took longer, which is not really a factor, as you need a good warmup period anyway) I glued the ptc's down with thermal plaster, no room to insulate, so insulation is just lying on top of the group. (Inside the machine, after the group was reassembled)

I drilled a 1/16" hole into one of the screw posts casted into the group, and used thermal plaster to hold a 1/16 type T thermocouple in the hole. (glue, not heat sink compound). (Drilled at about a 45 deg angle at the base of the screw post IIRC.)

The pressure tank is a WATTS water hammer arrestor, part number 1/2 LF150A, which I precharged to either 75 or 78 psi, I can't remember for sure, so that when charged to 130 psi by my pump/opv, it will give me 60 mL of espresso from 18 gms coffee.

I have attached a picture (low res) of the installed tank.

dannyzee: Tank.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > "BlueJava":...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.286046028137)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+