Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
"BlueJava": Silvia + Arduino mod
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > "BlueJava":...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
buestad

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silva
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 3:51am
Subject: "BlueJava": Silvia + Arduino mod

I am currently working on a modification project for my Rancilio Silvia v3.
The goals are:
  • a PID controlled boiler temperature for both brewing and steam
  • a pressure readout (possibly pressure profiling...)
  • a flow readout with pre-influsion and warning of empty watertank
  • bluetooth connection to an Android phone for monitoring and parameter adjustment (and possibly brewing timer)
  • The Silvia should be operated using the same switches as originally with as little as possible change to the outside design

So, to achieve all of the above I have purchaced a lot of parts from eBay and others
  • the brain: an Arduino UNO R3
  • a Thermostat Style PT100 RTD Sensor custom made for Silvia V3 (from Auber Instruments)
  • a pressure transducer 0-16bar, 0-5v
  • a flowmeter for drinking water 0.3-1.5L/min
  • 2x Solid state relays (for the boiler and pump)
  • a bluetooth module
  • a prototyping shield for the Arduino

On the software side I have started working on the Arduino code. I have "stolen" a bit of code from the CoffeeTronics site at Arduino (http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/CoffeeTronics#.Uwcsofl5N8E), but I have to write a lot of code myself. I hae never worked with Arduino code before, but it looks quite straigt forward...

The Android code I have not started yet. I am still wating to get the bluetooth module throug the mail, but as soon as I get it i will start making an app for my phone.  I have some experience writing Android apps so I guess it won't be a headache.

The stuff I have not solved now is:
  • how to "read" input from the three switches on the front of the Silvia which is 230v. I am considering using 230v relays and connection the secondaty/switch side to 5v.
  • how to mount the pressure transducer. I probably wil use a "pigtail" close to the pump to make sure that the temperature of the water is not high
  • how to indicate water temperature on the Silvia without adding a display. I am considering replacing the boiler lamp with an LED bar graph, or make the boiler lamp blink i certain patterns...

Any suggestions and tips is greatly appreciated :)

(This thread is a followup of my previous thread "Re: Electronic pressure transducer")
 View Profile Link to this post
Dayglow
Dayglow
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 6:13am
Subject: Re: "BlueJava": Silvia + Arduino mod

I would be very interested to see this come together. The bluetooth part is a neat addition. The nice thing about what you're trying is that once you have it stable it should be relatively modular between espresso machines.
rsinger
rsinger
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: OE Pharos - #136!!  ;)
Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 6:03pm

Hi Henrik:

Once upon a time I did a lot of work in the direction you're going.  Check our my blog, which may give a bit of insight in solving some of you're questions.  It's a great project and a lot of fun.

Lot's of luck with it.

Best,

Rick

New Bezzera Strega
OE Pharos: #136!!
Silvia's a virgin.....  again! (and sold)
Brasilia Cappuccino Del-1 Hx (sold too)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/66189160@N04/sets/72157628015297112/show/
http://espressoproject.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
buestad

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 8:42am

I have actually stumbled upon your blog before, but thanks anyway :-)  How did you solve reading the 230v signal from the switches in the front of the machine? Looks like you have some optoisolators in your BOM. Is that the way to go? Seems a bit risky from what I've read around forums...
rsinger
rsinger

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 4:03pm

Yes.. I used optoisolators, they worked our great, and I can't say that there are any negative issues associated with them (btw - here in the US were on 110v). The items  I used were : OPTO 22  IAC5  I/O MODULE.  The modules were mounted on a plate specific for organizing the wiring layout.  These are an older style, today you can get one unit that can handle multiple independent input/outputs.

Mine had an input voltage between 90-140VAC and output a logic 5VDC.  They do make one, the IAC5A with input range of 180-280VAC, same output logic.  

Here is a link: Click Here!

Best,

Rick

New Bezzera Strega
buestad

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 1:41am

Just a small update on the hardware side of the project. I now have recieved all the major components. I bought the optoisolators suggested by rsinger. Thanks for the tip!

I'm now just missing a LED bar-graph to indicate tempetature (or brew time) and boiler state. The plan is to mount it inside the original boiler light to keep the original look of the silvia. I also have to figure out some piping for the pressure sensor.

buestad: IMAG0533.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jonr

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 7:26am

buestad Said:

Any suggestions and tips is greatly appreciated :)

Posted February 21, 2014 link

My number one recommendation is that one carefully study the work of others that have done similar things.  I've seen lots of "re-inventing the wheel" (but maybe it's more fun that way).

IMO, go for full temperature, pressure and flow profiling.  Anything less isn't state of the art.  Consider doing ambient temperatures compensation if you want very accurate temperatures.
rsinger
rsinger

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 9:16pm

Hi Henrik:

Sounds like you're making good progress!  I just want to add a "small" warning concerning the optoisolators.  Keep in mind that the input and output pins are both small and fragile.  The output pins aren't much of an issue since they conduct either 0 or 5vdc.  However look out for the input pins, they handle 220VAC, so they have to be very well insulated so that you don't get a nasty surprise one day when you turn your machine on!

I used the PTO 22 PB4 DATA ACQUISITION CONTROL BOARD (see photo below).  The optoisolators mount with the pins facing down between the red LED's and the screw contacts.  It's a nice and convenient way to keep your wiring to them organized and avoid any unwanted mishaps.

Best,

Rick

rsinger: PTO-22-PB4-DATA-ACQUISITION-CONTROL.gif
(Click for larger image)

New Bezzera Strega
rsinger
rsinger

Posted Mon Mar 31, 2014, 9:16pm

Here's another view of my actual installation:

rsinger: PTO-22-PB4-DATA-ACQUISITION-CONTROL2.gif
(Click for larger image)

New Bezzera Strega
buestad

Posted Fri Apr 4, 2014, 7:01am

Thanks for the PTO 22 board. My initial idea was to just put the optoisolators inside some heat shrink wire wrap, but these are so big so it won't be practical. I think the PTO 22 is a bit expensive, so I'll consider a few other alternatives before I buy it.

About studying others work I am searching a lot for software and ideas. There are a lot of good code examples for PID, Pre infusion and those things, but I have found little on flow and pressure control.

I have started working on the Android app also. The idea is to have the main layout showing temperature, pressure, flow, timer and a status "prompt". When the device is turned over to landscape the layout switches to show live graphs of the same values (time being the X axis). I will also have a settings page (activity) which I can change the temperature set points, the PID parameters, pre infusion parameters and reset the tank level, and of course connect to the correct Bluetooth adapter (and maybe some more…). I have made some custom visual object (Widgets) to show the values more intuitively

By the way, I did a test of the Bluetooth communication and one of the solid state relays last weekend. I managed to turn on and off a 230VAC light bulb using my Android phone through serial Bluetooth communication. :) I also tried the PWM output to the solid state relay to control the intensity of light, but it was blinking a lot when above 60% or so, so i guess for the PWM to be effective I need to sync the phase of my AC with the PWM in some way. I am not going to use the built in PWM of the Arduino anyway so I didn't do any more research on that.

I add a picture of my test setup while testing the Bluetooth and a “blueprint” of my android app main layout

buestad: IMAG0535.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > "BlueJava":...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289082050323)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+