Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Breville BES820XL pimpin'!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ChrisInked
ChrisInked
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea v1
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 4:35pm
Subject: Breville BES820XL pimpin'!

Hi folks!

I started a little fun hobby recently wich is tryin to improve that little machine i got used on internet, by switching some parts inside and see if it's possible to get a solid espresso machine with an entry level one, some bucks and knowledge...

Fifteen years ago I studyied electromecanics at college, and I'm gonna try recall what I've learned there to put in this box..

First thing I did was changing the filter for a single wall, basic but when you don't know... and then cut through the portafilter to make a naked one. After that I then wanted a tamper, so I made one with a wood handle and a piece of ¼in. thick alu plate...and some bike tools... Hehe (honnestly I'm not gonna spend any money on a 51 mm tamper knowing it won't take me more than a year to get a dual boiler beauty with 58mm PF)... With all this I started pulling shots like I've never taste before!!! And with the naked PS I begin improve my tamping skills...

And then the geek in me wanted more... always frickin' more!! hahah!!!

So I started ripping the sides and cover of my machine, to find a ton of shitty plastic!! fisrt thing done was changing the manometer for a real one, with numbers on it, not a super usefull "optimum" zone...

After that, one thing was bottering me wayyy to much... the water issue thing... like filling the everempty dwarf water thank and emptying the everfull drip tray!! .. Why's that always full anyway!?! ho yeah beacause the steam purging goes right there!!! so, to recapitulate, I put water in that small tank, and each time i'm powering the machine on, or finishes steaming some milk, the machine drain like 100something ml of water from the tank straigh in the drip tray... BRILLANT!! Doh!!

So I changed some tubing and i put a 5L tank, and the purging tube now dumps in the water tank..!! :)

For the next steps, I planned changing the teflon tubing inside for copper, and that way be able to change the plactic "securyty valve" for a brass Expobar adjustable OPV and also changing the plastic fitting on the solenoide valve, or replacing it... don't know yet...
After, a friend of mine is a machinist so I'll ask him to make me a stainless steel thermoblock collar...
And then why not PIDied it!! :)

SO I'll keep you guys in touch and i'll post pics soon!!

À bientôt, Chris

And I want to remember you poeple that this is a hobby project, I dunnot pretend reinventing the wheel, I just wanna have fun and understanding the basics of a strong and steady espresso machine..! Cheers!!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 4:47pm
Subject: Re: Breville BES820XL pimpin'!

lol, that's a first, modding an 820. Did you PID it yet?
 View Profile Link to this post
ChrisInked
ChrisInked

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 5:29pm

CMIN Said:

lol, that's a first, modding an 820. Did you PID it yet?

Posted January 23, 2014 link

Nah that will be in the last thing done, if it make it to that point... :)  and a PID kit can always be taken back and put on another machine :)
ChrisInked
ChrisInked

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 5:33pm

And if anyone have other ideas to mod this machine or things they want to know about it, don't hesitate and ask! I'll be more than happy to share with you about this retarded fun idea! :)
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Espresso: Mypressi Twist v2
Grinder: Vario / Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka/Bodum...
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 8:52pm

ChrisInked Said:

And if anyone have other ideas to mod this machine or things they want to know about it, don't hesitate and ask! I'll be more than happy to share with you about this retarded fun idea! :)

Posted January 23, 2014 link

Can you post some pics of your mods? Would be cool to see what you've done.
CCG
ChrisInked
ChrisInked

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 7:08pm

Hey! finally got some pics to share

So, here's the tamper and the naked portafilter: http://www.dropbox.com/s/7c0admv3qidi3sw/tamperandPF.jpg

The original manometer: http://www.dropbox.com/s/mox3eyp66zaa5rd/manoorig.jpg

The new water tank: http://www.dropbox.com/s/6tmned2rz9pq0hr/watertank.jpg

now a real manometer: http://www.dropbox.com/s/629jzqhlzqbyjfo/manonew.jpg

And the new pipe connections... (I removed the "sorta pivot" going in the original tank): http://www.dropbox.com/s/urmzene8v9uuw6m/inside.jpg

This is my little setup: http://www.dropbox.com/s/wzyescidhfk412s/setup.jpg

Let me know what you think! :)

here is a little preview:

ChrisInked: montage.jpg
(Click for larger image)
billisabrewer

Espresso: Breville BES830XL
Grinder: Gaggia MDF Dosser
Drip: Bunn commercial
Roaster: Popcorn AIR
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 3:26pm

I like your enthusiasm  I have a rebuilt BES830XL and can pull good shots as I have a Gaggia mdf grinder with decent burrs.  I also modded a Kitchen Aid burr grinder which has 58mm burrs.  I put Mazzer mini 182D burrs in it and now can get very decent grinds all the way to Turkish fine.  The origional Kitchen aid burrs are very dull when new.  They actually smash the beans rather than cut them.  This renders them useless for espresso grinds.

I would love to replace the group head with the BES840XL group to get the better coil heating and wattage as well as the 58mm Portafilter.   I don't know if it would fit though.  If this is possible it would really make a much better machine out of the BES830XL machine.  A PID would also make very repeatable shots a reality.  I am a retired tool and die maker and have a lot of machinery in my garage. :)

Bill
s445203

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 5:38am

Good skills!!
ChrisInked
ChrisInked

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 7:00am

billisabrewer Said:

I would love to replace the group head with the BES840XL group to get the better coil heating and wattage as well as the 58mm Portafilter.   I don't know if it would fit though.

Posted January 28, 2014 link

I though of that too but I don't think it'll fit either, the 840 seems to be built higher and narrower... But having the parts I would definitely try as it does'nt seems to be that off size...and the 58mm PF would be a great step up...

830 vs 840

And since I started this side project/hobby, I'm dreamin' of building my own machine from scratch with all the great features like dual-boiler, hx61 head and rotary pump... With a wooden and brushed stainless casing, flip switches, mano and themometer.  For that i was thinking of getting some old used machine on class. ads... I know in the end I might spend more on it than buying a Rocket or QM67, but pride is something you can't buy!!  The only thing that's bugging me is the hx61 head, that's retailing for a thousand bucks...

And before PID I think I'll put copper tubing instead of teflon, it might help keep water hotter, wich seems to be a bit cold, from what I read... and taste... :)

C.
ChrisInked
ChrisInked

Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 7:28pm

Yep... this is it... my BES820XL with a thermocoil transplant from a Breville Barvista... :) ... I'll keep you in touch with some pix and comments about the machines perfomance soon!

Here is a bigger pic

ChrisInked: thermcoil.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290391921997)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+