Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Left group pressure not dropping after shot Gaggia TE
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Left group...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pinkpotato

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia TE Gaggia XD
Grinder: Iberital MC5/Cunill brasil
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 1:22pm
Subject: Left group pressure not dropping after shot Gaggia TE

So i've nearly got my 3rd Gaggia i've restored up and running although im runniing into a strange fault.
The left group is holding its pressure after the 'shot' (just water for now) has been poured with the pump pressure gauge still showing 9bar. The 3 way valve dumps the pressure from the portafilter fine and you can remove it safely and i've tried this with both a blind basket and standard double basket. Also the pressure gauge remains high even with no basket.

The right group functions almost perfectly, after the shot is poured the pressure jumps back down to 4.5 bar which is my mains pressure, it does this with a standard filter basket and with no basket but with a blind basket the pressure gauge stays high but the 3 way dumps the pressure to allow me to safely remove the portafilter.

My Gaggia xd which is basically the same machine but a litlle updated doesnt do this and the pressure drops back to 4.5 bar after every shot regardless of basket etc.

All the brass parts of the groups have been descaled in acid, and all the chrome parts have been cleaned and scrubbed by hand including the solenoid internals.

Any ideas?

Gaggia TE 1 Grp Gaggia XD 1 grp Gaggia TE 2 Grp (Restoring) Iberital MC5
 View Profile Link to this post
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 8:25pm
Subject: Re: Left group pressure not dropping after shot Gaggia TE

If functioning properly, your TE Brew Pressure should read 11.5-12BAR at idle and at operating temperature, and should drop to 9BAR during dispensing, dropping off then climbing to 11.5-12BAR as the cold water in the HX expands and forces the expansion valve off its seat. If at any time your expansion valve seized and allowed the HX pressure to climb beyond the gauge's maximum reading, it may have damaged the gauge's bourdon tube and destroyed your gauge. Since both groups share the same anti-return valve and expansion valve, the only component in each group capable of affecting idle pressure differently would be the 3-way valves, but you will need to establish the accuracy of your brew pressure gauge to adjust your pump and expansion valve properly. Your options are:
-new aftermarket brew pressure gauge $64
-new troubleshooting portafilter with handle gauge $120
-3/8BSPP adaptors and standard gauge to fit in place of portafilter pouring spout $??
Compare your readings at the portafilter with that on your gauge. Also swap 3-way valve cartridges and see if the problem follows the valve or stays with the group. If you replaced the cartridges as I do during a rebuild, they are not the problem and you will need to go through the internal passages in your groups with welding tip cleaners to dislodge any scale clogs. good luck
pinkpotato

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 3:27am

Thankyou for your reponse.
I do have a spare gauge i can swap it with and a spare portafilter i can use for testing the actual group pressure which will always come in handy as i am enjoying this hobby more and more.

You say you swap just the cartridges? I know you are in the us but could you send me a link from where you get them so i could find a part number. As i have only been able to find the complete solenoid bodies which are obviously more expensive than just the cartridge inside.

Thanks

pinkpotato

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 12:07am

Well i re descaled the group heads and solenoids to hopefully unblock any blockages and voila it worked, pressure dopping back to my 5 bar mains pressure every time. While the groups were out i did try flushing the HX's out but no more sediment or scale came out so i'll have to wait and see how it goes.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Left group...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.172662973404)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+