Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Popper to coffee-maker mod
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Popper to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
aneil920

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 5:04pm
Subject: Popper to coffee-maker mod

Hi guys!! I'm new to this forum....I have been trying to use an existing pop-corn popper to home roast my coffee. However, the problem I have is two-fold,

1 It is pretty loud and smokey (so I was wondering how to solve that, maybe adding a smaller vent fan somewhere, in addition to the fan it has?) Where should I wire the fan/filter in the system (attached circuit diagram) or what else can I do to solve this.

1. Most importantly, it gets too hot, too fast! There is no control. Hence the necessity for a switch, or timer. The switch could be a high-low setting, or the timer could be a 1 minute to 10 minute increment. I looked at some off-the-shelf timers, all I need to know now is how to wire it to the appliance circuit (see diagram attached). Can something be wrong with the thermostat? What other ways can I fix this issue?

Any help will be extremely appreciated.
Thanks!!!

aneil920: Circuit.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 8:26pm
Subject: Re: Popper to coffee-maker mod

I've never used an air popper roaster, but if you do a search for "popper mods"  (search feature upper and lower right of the screen on the main forum page) you will find a wealth of information. Mostly in the "Home Roasting Talk" section of the forum.
   Welcome to CoffeeGeek!
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed May 15, 2013, 8:42pm

This thread has a wealth of information.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 5:47am

A lot of people solve the smoke issue by roasting outside.
Temp regulation is always a problem when making an appliance do a job it was not intended to do. Some roasters get around this by using a variac to control the voltage to the heater coils. They are expensive but work well. You will also need a device to monitor the temp of the roast, a digital thermometer using a thermocouple is most often used.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CapnJimbo

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 2:07pm

I'd rather not work on assumptions, so won't you kindly supply some data:   model of popper, mods, amibient temp, times to 1C/2C, intial load, etc.   Without that no advice is really valid...
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 8:06pm

CapnJimbo Said:

I'd rather not work on assumptions, so won't you kindly supply some data:   model of popper, mods, amibient temp, times to 1C/2C, intial load, etc.   Without that no advice is really valid...

Posted December 25, 2013 link

He asked the question in May, so likely has it figured out by now...
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 1:27pm

CapnJimbo Said:

Posted December 25, 2013 link

Did you follow the link in dana_leighton's post?
CapnJimbo

Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 11:01am

takeshi Said:

Did you follow the link in dana_leighton's post?

Posted December 27, 2013 link

I just did and wish I had earlier.   Terrific!   Here it is again"
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/homeroast/18003

This thread also includes several mods, and how the operators use them.  I especially liked Sutton's well known work, and his updated wiring diagram:
http://www.sutton.org/images/PopperII_Elec_Schematic_v4.png

Thanks...
IntrepidQ3

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Vario
Roaster: West Bend Air Crazy
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 6:27pm

What popper are you using?

I recently started roasting about a 2 months ago using the West Bend Air Crazy. Funny story, first it was not getting hot enough. The heat was stalling out. So I pried off the thermo governor. After doing this I could scorch my beans easily and quickly if I wanted to.

So up till earlier this week I was having the same issue as you. Too hot too quick.

To fix this I rewired my Air Crazy so the fan is always running and I turn the heat on/off with the switch. I took off the wires from the on/off switch. Than attached the wires going to the fan to the power supply. Lastly, I took the wires off the thermo governor and attached those wire to the on/off switch (these wires go to the heating element).

I went from hitting 1C around 3 min to being able to extend the anywhere between 4-9 min.

The alternative to this would be the dimmer, as mentioned in previous posts.

There is some good information on Popper mods over on the sweet marias forum and on homeroasters.org
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Popper to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277351856232)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+