Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Repair help. I've broken my dads Gaggia Baby Dose
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Repair help....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
badson

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 5:13am
Subject: Repair help. I've broken my dads Gaggia Baby Dose

Hello everyone

I'm house sitting for my parents whilst they're away on holiday. First thing I thought I'd do was froth some milk for a cappuccino, and the first thing that happened was the coffee machine died.

It's completely dead, it wont power on at all.

From what I've read it's more likely to be a fuse than a thermostat. If it was a thermostat I'd more likely get a little bit of life before the thing died, and as I was frothing milk for some time (3 cups worth) a blown fuse makes sense to me. Am I along the right lines here?

My dad is a pretty comfortable with having the machine in bits and has replaces various parts in the past, so I don't think a fuse replacement would be too daunting for him, but rather than have him do all the work, I feel like I should at least order the replacement part so it's here ready for he's back from holiday.

This is where I'm stuck though, I don't know what type of fuse I should be buying, could anyone point me in the right direction, or even recommended a supplier in the UK? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 7:45am
Subject: Re: Repair help. I've broken my dads Gaggia Baby Dose

Are you saying that not even the power light comes on or that it is not getting hot?
3 cups of milk is a LOT to ask of that machine at one sitting, did you stop to fill the boiler between the cups steamed or did you just keep going until it turned off?

The boilers in these machines are very small, they need to be filled often with fresh water. When steaming, you are using up the water in the boiler and you need to replace it often. These machines are not designed to make more than one drink at a time and not large drinks at that. I think that 8 oz of milk at a time an not more than 12 oz at all is the limit for steaming without filling the boiler.

Are you seeing a theme in my thoughts?

Short answer is that you likely ran the boiler out of water then over heated the machine. I am pretty sure the heater is built into the boiler on that machine so the chance of burning it out is low but there is a safety thermostat that likely will need to be replaced. Item 29 on the following diagram.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
badson

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 2:27pm

Yes the machine will not turn on at all, no inkling of lights no getting hot or anything.

And yes you're correct, I simply ran it for too long and it went off. Stupid I know, but I had no idea this would happen.

Part 29 in that diagram is the same part I identified through my research and the part I'm trying to locate.

Does anybody know a part number for this?
Tamspresso

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 6:00am

Hi,
if you have no power at all the first thing you should check would be the fuse in the mains plug. If that is ok then, as cal blacksmith says, the boiler has overheated and cut out so you'll need to check on the thermostat. However, once you've found said thermostat, have a look for a small red push button in-between the contacts. On this diagram
http://www.partsguru.com/user/ER0216%20Rev02.pdf
the part you are looking for is either 31 or 22. If there is a push button give it a firm push. If it has gone it will click down and then be quite loose.
Should any existing cut out button already be loose then you'll need to change the whole thermostat.

Another thing you may want to check is for a fast blow fuse on the main PCB (Printed Circuit Board).
see item 80 on the same diagram. A fuse about the same size as a household 13amp fuse only with a clear glass centre. You should be be able to see through the glass as to weather it has blown.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 10:05am

Is the circuit the machine is plugged into protected by a ground fault indicator.  If so, and it got tripped, it might just need resetting.  Then you reset the safety on the boiler and go through the priming process to get the machine back on line.

If there's no GFCI on the circuit, then check the breaker box (or are there other things plugged in to the same circuit that are working? Also, you could try plugging it in to a different circuit (typically, accomplished by taking it to another room in the house temporarily).

If these steps don't work, then you'll have to resume your search for replacement parts.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 10:36am

If I correctly got the parts diagram, the over temp fuse is a fuse and is not resetable but needs to be replaced. Some machines have a resetable over temp safety and they have a "red button" to push for reset.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Dec 7, 2013, 9:08pm

badson Said:

Part 29 in that diagram is the same part I identified through my research and the part I'm trying to locate.

Does anybody know a part number for this?

Posted December 2, 2013 link

Any shop that works on espresso machines of any brand will have thermo-fuses of that size.
Just read the temperature off the side of the dead one.
Potentially, take the dead one with you so someone can confirm it's dead (If you don't have a multimeter).
Or shop online One of many options .
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sat Dec 7, 2013, 9:39pm

I think this is what you need:

Click Here (www.shop.partsguru.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Repair help....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.238662958145)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+