Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Complete newb about to rehab a Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000V
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Complete newb...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 9, 2013, 10:16am
Subject: Re: Complete newb about to rehab a Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000V

Grinder grinder grinder! I probably would not buy the Mini either.  I miss the weight feature on Vario W when I upgraded to the only commercial grinder that can fit in my house K30 I do like it grinds on demand. (bought used of course)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dingdong

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 4:43pm

ytsemaddy Said:

My garage barely gets below 50 degrees, even in the subzero Chicago winters (the other half keeps his homebrew out there), but I'm planning to get the machine cleaned up and tested in the next week or so at any rate. I was hesitant to start it up in case there were any deposits that got shaken loose while transporting it from the restaurant to my house, in case they could clog the lines and cause damage. If that generally doesn't happen, then I can figure out a way to temporarily hook up a water line and do a quick test. We have an idea of where we want the machine's permanent home to be, but that's going to require a visit from the plumber. Does the water line need to be pressurized, or is it something where I could do a quick & dirty test by feeding the water input line into a full 5 gallon carboy?

I'm glad to know that softener salt works. I suspected it would, but of course the Italian directions specify sea salt and I was a tad worried that I was about to buy a lot of expensive fancy salt. :)

Thanks again!
-Maddy

Posted November 5, 2013 link

Hi there!

The MAC2000 ("V" means automatic - there is a MAC2000 "S" that is semi-automatic) is the version that replaced the Mac Cup, which in turn replaced the Mac. Most of the parts for all three variations are interchangeable, but get a hold of a user manual and parts book if you don't already have them.

Luckily the single group MAC2000 have what is called a "sight glass" or water level indicator. You can inspect this vertical tube that is located on the left side front on the machine, next to the group head (the thingie that you put the handle thing - portafilter - in, where the espresso comes out). This will (or should in most cases) tell you if there is any water in it already or not. Be cautious though! If there is TOO MUCH water in it (called overfull) you won't be able to see the top level of the water. It will appear to be empty when in fact the top level of the water is so high that it is hidden behind the body panel.

These machines all utilize a "rotary vane" pump, that is connected to a large motor on the inside of the machine. These REQUIRE standing line pressure, meaning they need to be hooked up to a pressurized water source. If not, they burn out pretty quick, and they are not a cheap replacement: so don't risk it. Follow the water line coming out of the machine and identify the large (the size of your fist or larger) brass pump connected to a cylindrical aluminum motor inside the case. The fittings on these machines, pump included, are British Standard Pipe. Get used to hearing this term, BSP. You've never heard of it, and neither have your plumber or hardware store guy (well, maybe the plumber). You will need to find a way to adapt the BSP fittings to American "compression" pipe. Compression pipe is what's under your sink, where the water goes from the wall angle valve up to your faucet. You should tee in there, on the cold water side.

They also use a "two-position" main power switch. This means that when you turn the power on, power is sent to the entire machine. It sends power to a sensor that tells a controller to tell a solenoid to open if there is no water, or do nothing if there is water. It also sends power to the heating element. If the element is exposed to air for very long it will burn out, so it is very important that it be full at the time the element gets really hot.

Check out page 10 of the manual: no fancy salt is needed, rock salt is fine.

Good luck!
 View Profile Link to this post
ytsemaddy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 28, 2013, 7:21am

Wow, thank you all so much for the deluge of information! We got the machine into the dining room last night (where one of my cats decided to lick it clean) and this weekend I plan to clean it up a little and fire it up and see what we've got going on.

The sight glass looks like it's full to the brim in there; it's definitely got plenty sloshing around inside at any rate.  I plan to extensively photograph and document the whole cleanup process, even if it mostly entails taking off the case and the portafilter screen at first.

The thing that's been nagging at the back of my brain is, when I bought the machine, I asked if they also had a grinder they were looking to sell, and they told me that they just used pods. At that moment I didn't think much of it, but now I'm assuming it means I'm going to have to get the pod-unconvert parts to turn it back into a machine I can use loose grounds with.  I haven't even turned the machine on and already it's becoming quite the adventure! :)

Regarding the BSP / NPT issue, this did come installed from a restaurant, so I may already have some of the adapters. If not, it sounds like I'm about to buy a bag of adapters!

Thanks so much again, and stay tuned for upcoming panicked posts of "my dining room table is now a pile of soggy ashes" :)
ytsemaddy

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 7:35am

I spent some quality time with the machine this weekend. The place I bought it from gave me the drain lines but not the connection lines, so I'm going to have to buy the 3/8" adapter before I can hook it up to an actual water line. That said,  I plugged it in for a very brief amount of time, just to make sure it powered up, etc. All signs point to yes. :) It powered up, I heard the pump running, and started to build up some pressure before pulling the plug. Was able to get a bit of steam to come out of the wand, so that's at least working at a basic level.
The gasket is cracked and pretty fossilized, so I'm going to need to get in there and dig the old one out. Maybe I finally have an excuse to go to Harbor Freight and buy a pick set!
Before I start buying parts, I'm still unsure if my head has the regular espresso parts, or the pod parts. I took the initial bits apart, and I have a screen, screw, and nut, just like the NS original diagram. Anyone have an opinion on whether this is a pod kit head or if I'm set with grounds?
These are the parts I have

The inside of the machine looked pretty good (apart from the dust and grime). The only  thing that concerned me was the greenish "patina" crust on the copper pipe directly below the boiler. I can post pics if that's helpful, but we thought maybe that was a part that regularly collected condensation and it was normal for that to be there.

Thanks!
-Maddy
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 7:59am

HI again!
Off hand, it looks like the pod kit is installed and as they ran it with pods, and you need the pod kit installed to do so, then it is logical that it is setup for pods. The shape of the internal parts are different for pods and for ground coffee so likely as not you will need to replace from part 70004011 down, not that part, it is the group head but all the parts that fit into it. It should not be a big deal though and not too expensive.

Green on the copper and plumbing, not an issue. It only means that some water got on those parts. I often see water sprayed from the vacuum breaker onto internal parts, check to see if this is the case. The vacuum breaker is a valve that opens when there is no pressure on the boiler, it will be most often  on the top of the boiler and usually next to the safety over pressure valve. Very often, there is a ring of metal around it to try to contain the spray from it. They use the rising pressure from the boiler to push them closed as the machine warms up so there is usually some water/steam spray to go along with the pressure.

Hard group gasket, YEP, see them all the time, most shops do not change them as often as they should be. Now that you have the machine, order a few of them, replace about every 6 months or so, before it becomes rock hard! They do not cost much as a part and often shipping costs more than the gasket by it's self so get several and save some shipping money.

Ah, the 3/8 fitting... LOL... GOOD LUCK!!! lol :D
While I am not looking at the machine I can only guess but I strongly suspect it is metric, they almost always are. It is frustratingly close but not close enough to US standard thread so you will most likely need to buy the part from a machine vendor. I have never seen one in metric in any U.S. hardware store and that is the part that cost me $55 for my current machine. It is only a brass fitting but they charge that much I guess because they can! What are you going to do without it? :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ytsemaddy

Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 9:31am

I'm sure you've all been waiting on the edge of your seats to hear what's going on with my happy little Mac 2000. We got enough plumbing adapters to do a gravity feed off of a 1 gallon glass carboy for now (just to get things tested out). Here's where we're at:

1. The power button on the front panel doesn't work. Not a big deal for now, as I just unplug it when I'm done, but long-term is something I'll likely want to repair / replace. I don't even get a positive button click feel from it, which makes me think it's just worn out.

2. We tested the other panel buttons with just an empty portafilter in (screen in, but no coffee) and found that all the dispense buttons pushed out the same amount of water. Is this expected when you're not providing positive pressure to the head, or do I need to look at reprogramming the dosing?

3. Nobody appears to have photos of the parts in the pod kit (only the kit itself available for order), but my closest guess is that it's the normal head with a pod basket. I think my next move is to buy a single and double basket and see if things improve. We couldn't initially find any specifics on the volume of the basket (manual says "measure of coffee") but later we found reference to the NS single holding 6g, which seems awfully small. During trial-and-error we found that 8g worked okay, in terms of outflow from the spout, but the result tasted a bit thin. Would having a smaller amount of grounds with a differently shaped basket result in a better tasting cup?

4. My portafilter locks in with the handle somewhere between 4 and 5 o'clock. It should be locking around 6, right? Would the thin gasket shims under the rubber gasket help with that?

5. My steam wand seems oddly bent to the side. When I have it at what should be a 6 o'clock position, it's off at a diagonal angle. Is it possible someone bent the wand, or is that a NS thing? I've been watching a lot of milk steaming / frothing videos over the past week, and most of them seem to have a position where you can have the bottom of the wand pretty much level with the floor.

So many questions, so little espresso beans in the house! :)

-Maddy
skydragondave

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Thu Dec 26, 2013, 12:59pm

1. The membrane switch board is still available from Simonelli for $103.70+shipping. P/N 04900161. Make sure the control cable has continuity to the box.
  2. Always calibrate shot volumes with properly tamped coffee in the basket so the flowmeter has time to register the flow across it and account for the amount of water absorbed and retained by the coffee grounds.
  3. Simply verify after removing the POD dispersion plate that you have the theoretically removeable, but non-service removeable dispersion plate, dispersion nut, shower screen and screw installed. Picture of above is attached. Shots are difficult to impossible to pull properly on single baskets, it's much easier to use the 12-14g double shot baskets.
  4. One paper shim under the standard gasket should bring the handle to centre.
  5. The wands with linear swivel are prone to being bent by inattentive operators and is one of the reasons I retrofit the spherical swivel wands to these units. You can either use the Appia stainless wand with an extension, or use the 2-axis swivel wand for the late MAC P/N 75006035 $77.20 from Simonelli.

skydragondave: IMG_1399.JPG
ytsemaddy

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 9:18am

Thanks for the info, skydragondave. The photo you posted is exactly the parts I have in my machine currently; no extra dispersion plate. So I'm wondering if the restaurant cheaped out and just got the pods basket and not the rest of the kit.

My 7 and 15g baskets just arrived yesterday, so we tried a 15 with the double shot button. It output about a half glass of mediocre espresso; certainly not the volume I would expect from a double (we tried the single shot button, and it made the same amount of coffee).  I suspect I will need to reprogram all the buttons for the shot volumes, but am holding off until we get a proper espresso grinder, as our coffee grinder on its finest setting isn't nearly powdery enough. I spent a good chunk of yesterday trolling CL and eBay for anything promising, and probably have to make some phone calls tomorrow on the vague "espresso grinder also for sale" postings for machines.

We're still epically failing to make proper steamed / foamed milk, so I think the replacement wand will wait until we have that down better, especially if I end up needing to replace the front panel switchboard.

Today's adventure will be getting the gasket out so I can pop the shim under it, without destroying the gasket (it's less than a month old; I'd hate to damage it, though I do have a spare on hand)... Never a dull moment!
skydragondave

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 7:00am

On most machines single pods only require a single pods basket, it's the doubles that require the special plate. Good luck
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Complete newb...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265812158585)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+