Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
NS Ellimatic temperature way too high.... :(
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > NS Ellimatic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 9:07am
Subject: Re: NS Ellimatic temperature way too high.... :(

> Good to see that the absolute vs gauge pressure confusion got to more people than just me!  

Good practice would be to always specify gauge or absolute.  As with temperature - 100C or 100F;  100 degrees is a recipe for confusion.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 1:04pm

Unit of measurement should always be used to avoid that issue, even then it is possible to , uh , mess up, don't ask how I know LOL!
The part may be able to be repaied with silver soldering or brazing if a replacement can not be found. Just stay lead free on the repair.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jannus

Espresso: NS ElliMatic & OLD Via...
Grinder: mazzer sj
Vac Pot: nope
Drip: yup
Roaster: nope
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:40am

Hello all,

Apologies for my prolonged silence - it took a while for me to find time to disassemble the machine again.  Good news is that the problem has indeed been identified, and Wayne, you were right.  :)  See attached pic, right hand side near the top where I cleaned it a bit.  We really struggled to get the HX removed first time, and somewhere a spanner must have slipped and caused that nick.  My guess is that it only opens when there's some heat applied, and pressure is high enough.  

So, two questions:  
I know brazing would probably be best, but how about plumbing solder (rated lead free - 97% tin 3% copper and 0.005% lead according to the datasheet).  Reason being - that I can do myself, brazing kit I don't have.  It'll literally be heating it up and flowing a minor amount of solder.  It probably won't go into the pipe, but it will fill the tiny gap and form a layer over it.  It is, however, in my boiler...can that be a problem?  It's rated on a melting point of 230 degrees C (446 deg F) according to the datasheet.

Secondly - there's a slight blackness inside the boiler.  Now this thing was cleaned to shiny copper when I built it, and I've got a vacuum breaker fitted, so where does the black come from?  It's almost like a soot layer, really not much, rubbing over it with a cloth removes it.  Since reassembling the unit I have rinsed the boiler once or twice, but that's it - no descaling or similar.  I've been pretty religious about clieaning the steam wand after steaming, first with water and then with a cloth, so I'm pretty sure it's not milk finding its way in there.

That's it, hoping to have my baby running (properly for the first time) soon!  :)

Jan

jannus: Bellville-20131110-00668.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 8:32am

Food-safe silver solder. Don't mess about with anything else. The higher the temperature, the more stuff leaches out, so any lead content at all should be avoided. I know it's a tiny amount, and you're not going to be making espressos for an infant, but still, if you can do it safer, there's no good reason not to. Silver solder is also a stronger bond, I believe, and wicks better into tiny cracks.
jonr

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 8:43am

Adding 3.5 or 4% silver to the solder will be about 50% stronger and actually melts at a lower temperature.  Worse case, it fails again and then you get it brazed (with copper + silver, no tin) for far more strength.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 3:19pm

The problem with solder first the try braise is that the solder will contaminate the braze. Welding 101.
A lot of what is sold as SILVER solder has no silver in it at all.

A food safe plumbing solder could be used, the spot is small, just clean well and you should be OK.

Brazing is best followed by a real silver solder closely followed with non toxic plumbing solder.

I'm glad you found the issue, sorry it took disassembling the machine again to find and now repair.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

jannus

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 12:45am

With a stroke of luck my younger brother is visiting tomorrow, and he has the skills and the tools for brazing.  I'll just hold out a bit, and sort it properly with his help.  :)

Thanks for all the tips.  I understand the caution, and I get the idea that the biggest concern all around is the fact that the repair is inside the boiler, and will be in contact with boiling water and steam that will be consumed.  I get the idea that repairs outside the boiler with plumbing solder will not be that much of a concern.  For what it's worth, I did phone the manufacturer, and they did assure me that the solder is rated food-safe.  I suspect the 0.005% lead content is something that has to be included in the datasheet to play it safe from their side.

Nonetheless, I see an Oxy-Acet kit in my future....

Any comments on the slight black I found inside the boiler?  Nothing to be too concerned about I gather?

Jan
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 3:17pm

I would not give it a second thought. It is just oxidation on the brass and once it forms, it is a pretty stable layer. You can find it on the inside of well worn PFs that have had the chrome wore away, some even find (I know I do) that clean brass can impart a taste to the water/brew that goes away when the oxidation forms. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

jannus

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 7:28am

Ah, thanks Wayne.  Right, so I'll rinse it out and not worry too much.  I gather that it forms on brass and or copper, as this is inside the boiler where there's no brass?

With a stroke of bad luck, my brazing options have effectively been reduced to zero.  Will see if I can find an alternative, otherwise it'll be the plumbing solder.
jonr

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 8:13pm

You can use Mapp gas (no oxygen) to braze copper.
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > NS Ellimatic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.251051187515)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+