Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Original Faema Family Restoration.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Original Faema...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
delik

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013, 12:51pm
Subject: Original Faema Family Restoration.

I was given a Faema Family two years ago and after a year steam started to leak out of the top of the boiler through the element attachment and the water/steam line attachments.  See video click here.   I disassembled it, but turning the 90 degree elbow (top left) for the steam line was a problem because the temperature sensor (top right) which is glued or bonded in some way and would get in the way of unscrewing the 90 degree elbow.  

I've since bought another used Faema Family for $20 at a garage sale.  It was working great for about half a year, but now the same problem.
click here (sorry about the vertical video)

Does it just need some sort of plumbers tape?  How do i take the temperature sensor off without breaking it, and if not, are replacements available?

I think the trouble here is the element as its leaking out of just these terminals.  If I replace the element would that come with the seals to repair this or can I just repair the seals?  If someone can point me in the right direction. I'd love to bring it back to its former glory.

....and for your viewing pleasure.  Faema Family disassembly time-lapse:

click here
 View Profile Link to this post
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 9:13am
Subject: Re: Faema Family steam Leak. BONUS: Disassembly Timelapse Video.

Your video settings are set to "private". I have not attempted to repair machines at that price point so cannot offer much advice, sorry.
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 11:49am

Looks like you need some new o-rings for the terminals. These are cheap and a new element wouldn't come with them. Might have to use some thread sealant as well, not sure. If by temperature sensor, you mean the thermostats, they should just unscrew off. I couldn't see them, as the video is private.
delik

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:43pm

Fixed video privacy settings.  Should be all good now.
delik

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 12:50pm

These machines sold for $1000 new back in the 80s.  It was a real score finding it for $20 at a community garage sales.  My folks had given me theirs which they had bought new for $1000 some 30 years ago.
delik

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: Original Faema Family Restoration.

80% finished stripping the powder coat.  Still undecided on finishing it with a clear coat, dark smokey blue powder coat or depending on how crazy I am, plating it in black nickel.

Opened up the boiler and found the element to be in good condition, but all the seals had seen better days.  Buying new group head seal, boiler seals and element seals from Faema in Montreal.  

Bringing this baby back to new!

delik: photo.JPG
(Click for larger image)
delik

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 3:58pm

Nearly all the powder coating is off the espresso machine.  Going to polish it to a mirror finish.  If i don't like that I may anodize it.

Matching grinder is getting it too!

delik: photo 1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
Farvernugen

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 4:50pm

Cool,

I have 2, one that was used for 25 years and was looking a bit rough... I bought it new, and a used one that has almost no use on it, for 200$ cad recently to replace the one that needs a paint job.

Question, what are you going to do about the decals?

Second Question, what are you doing about the repaint? Mine is RED, and I love the colour, so may just get it powder coated red again..... but not decided on the decals yet.... may just do the artwork and have one of my label places make me a few sets and offer them out.

Fire up pictures as you have them, I'd love to see what it's finish will be.

Cheers, Scott
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Original Faema...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213390111923)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+