Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
getting screw out
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > getting screw...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 3:06pm
Subject: Re: getting screw out

The good news is that if you have a large open top cup under it, you can still brew.  It just looks bad.  Don't get in a hurry or hurt, not worth it.

Happy to help.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:38pm

I got this gut feeling you werent seriously going to pull the trigger on a high end machine.
Take a look at the Gaggia Classic...they have come down in price and are hard workers.
Good luck with the drilling!

friendlyfoe Said:

bahaha me too! I started drilling around the perimeter and got about 1/2 way done when the drill bit was dead. Tried using the side of the bit to join the holes and wasn't being careful, nicked the inside of the metal with the tip of the bit and thought maybe this is a stupid way to do it. I think home depot has a metal hole saw the right size for 12 bucks, so i'll see if i can borrow a chuck before i do any more damage :P If i can get it mostly out i'll go at it with my dremel.

Thats my dilemma. While i would love to buy a 2k machine, i also like to race motorcycles (road course) and didn't this summer because of money, it's about 1000 dollars a weekend. If i dont buy the machine thats two weekends at the track.

Now that i realize this machine has the potential to actually brew something quite yummy, i might just hold off an perfect my technique with it until i really feel the need to upgrade. I'll say again i owe this revelation to you!

Posted October 27, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:52pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I got this gut feeling you werent seriously going to pull the trigger on a high end machine.
Take a look at the Gaggia Classic...they have come down in price and are hard workers.
Good luck with the drilling!

Posted October 27, 2013 link

Haha dont be so sure, but you're right in saying that i wont be getting one tomorrow. My mindset is that if i am going to buy a machine, i'm not going to waste my money buying 2-3-4 different machines until i finally end up with a good one, i'll just buy something i wont have to replace.

I had come to wanting a new machine because i didn't think the machine i had was capable of brewing anything i was interested in drinking. Now that i realize without a pressurized pf that my machine is capable of brewing something acceptable (not good, acceptable) i'm going to use it for what it's worth (it was free so its worth is high!). I'll probably spend the next month playing with it and trying to dial in my grind/tamp/brew time, its brewing too quickly at the moment, but if i grind finer my k3 clumps pretty bad. I think i might just need to tamp harder.

I wont be buying a low end machine, when i do spend the money i'm going to do it once and get a prosumer convertible hx machine. I'm just going to enjoy the new found glory of the toy i was gifted for a little bit. That being said all next week i'll be working beside a shop with a la marzocco, and be comparing my shots in the morning to the shots i'm drinking during the day. Might not take that long to get frustrated with the shortcomings of my machine :P.

Just got to keep in mind that while i'm finally making descent money (80-100k a year, but in canadian dollars so i get taxed in the range of 35% and things are more expensive!) i dont want to be the guy with a ferrari in the driveway of his 200 000 dollar house. In this case it would be a ferrari in my kitchen :P but it's only 2k, dont be surprised when i post a thread saying i bought a new toy!
D4F

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 7:43pm

That starter machine can probably make better espresso than you think.  A lot of features and steaming speed are missing, but it is not bad.  For a while it will be more capable than you :)  When you max out your learning curve and can be consistent then go look and sample other machines.  Test drive before you spend your budget :)

D4F also at
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 8:21pm

The one huge downfall i see in this machine from how little i know is going to be in the group design and shower screen. The shower screen isn't even drilled all the way to the outside, the screen is stamped in a square pattern but the holes are only drilled 2/3 of the way out to the edge of the stamping. Water basically falls straight out of the group and is regulated only by a little spring/check valve inside the brass group. I think the way it delivers water to the pf is fairly poor, but as long as it generates the right pressure in the PF and doesn't channel too bad i'm not sure it really matters.

Once i get my extraction times a little better i'll need to understand how the boiler works in this machine. The light comes on when the boiler shuts off, but i'm *guessing* thats probably somewhere near the 204 degree range? So probably a short flush with no PF but the PF ready and tamped, light goes out, lock in pf and brew. Hows that sound for a plan? The boiler is pretty tiny, so i'm thinking i need a plan lol.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 8:33pm

I have run across screws with odd slots or heads. When it happens I make a tool. It could be a coin or scrap of metal filed or ground to the correct arc and held with locking pliers or an adjustable wrench.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
D4F

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 9:09pm

If not already read,

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

How to  12 EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 9:11pm

Is this better?

Click Here (www.espressotec.com)

http://www.cerinicoffee.com/saeco-brew-group-screen.html

D4F also at
friendlyfoe

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 7:27am

Yeah the first one is the screen I have, its pretty terrible all things considered.

The second one looks pretty schnazzy but I'm not sure it would fit the machine. Would have to see it without that plastic bit.

My other issue is trying to order anything from the states. Was looking at the bottomless pf on SCG and it was 60 bucks in shipping costs! Maybe when it comes to small things I can make friends with a coffeegeek member who lives in NY state, ship it free to them and then pay them the usps to forward it to me when I need small things.
D4F

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:32pm

friendlyfoe Said:

The second one looks pretty schnazzy but I'm not sure it would fit the machine. Would have to see it without that plastic bit.

Posted October 28, 2013 link

Perhaps you could find out with simple email to the dealer to ask about cross compatibility.  It fits a lot of machines according to the list.

D4F also at
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > getting screw...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264456987381)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+