Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
getting screw out
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > getting screw...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 4:06pm
Subject: Re: getting screw out

Tamping is more about repeatability than the actual pressure.  Set a bathroom scale on the counter and push down 30 lbs with a tamper.  Of course you now need a decent tamper that you did not need pressurized.  You have tool for cutting out the bottom with a hole saw?  You may need a different, real double basket for a Saeco.  

Basket and good videos

Click Here (www.saecoparts.com)

If you do not have appropriate basket and tamper, leave it pressurized a few days and make a few brews.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
friendlyfoe

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 4:42pm

hmmm a bathroom scale eh. I dont have one but i've been thinking about getting one for a while. Not worried about my weight but my cat's getting a bit fat and i've been wanting to be able to weigh him! lol So maybe i'll pick one up, or just borrow one to get an idea of what 30 lbs more or less feels like.

I'm pretty sure a hole saw has a drill chuck on the end of it no? I most definitely have a drill.

I bought a proper concept art tamper for this machine thinking it made a difference, which i guess it didnt but it will now!

And i'm confused about what you mean by a "real basket". As far as i can tell whats in the PF is a real double shot basket? Really appreciate all your input btw
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 5:03pm

You may want a drillpress and vise for safety.  Obviously you cannot clamp the part/pf very firmly.  Is the PF brass or aluminum?  Soft aluminum and a coarse saw can grab. Sorry, I do not know your tools or capability, so no offense.

If your basket is not double walled it may be "regular."  I do not have a Saeco to compare.  Some pressurized PFs involve the basket and some not.

Happy to help, and happy to see you take your time :)

D4F also at
friendlyfoe

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 5:19pm

Here's whats left of the disassembled assembly. The idea (from your link, thank you kindly) will be to cut out the bottom of the aluminum bit, and use the plastic handle to simply install the aluminum with the basket and remove the handle. You cant leave the handle attached because you'd have to cut out the part where it screws to the aluminum.

I'm pretty sure thats a normal basket??

And a good reminder to be careful! I've spent a lot of time working with tools but i'm not above doing something stupid like trying to hold it in my hand, having the bit grab and tearing my finger off. It's actually pretty sturdy aluminum, i'll throw it in my vice and be careful. I'll do my best not to hurt myself :P

friendlyfoe: components.jpg
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 6:37pm

The baskets are probably normal.  Now you need a method to determine dose.  Basket size will be a big factor.  Best method is a digital scale good to 0.1mg and weigh doses.  You need to find a dose that will just barely touch the screen after the brew when expanded.  It the puck bangs into the screen it will channel and foul the screen and above again.  

If not already done, go to How to 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME, here

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

And, start having fun.

D4F also at
friendlyfoe

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 7:10pm

Totally just to be a pain but isnt .1mg = .0001 g? Thats a pretty damn fine measuring device and probably reaches new levels of being picky hehe.

LoL i did already buy a kitchen scale thats accurate to 1g, and a 14g double fits comfortable in the basket without hitting the screen. I've been brewing 7g singles because it makes the pressurized pf less of a soupy mess. Curious to see how wet the grinds stay once i use it as bottomless.

I will definitely check that link out!
D4F

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 7:29pm

Sorry, 0.1 gm.  Brain short on sleep or caffeine.

Puck will usually be adjusted just to the screen when used, but if too soupy you may not see that.  No 3 way valve means slightly wet/soupy puck pressurized or not.

D4F also at
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 9:10am

Ugh bi-metal hole saw is 20 bucks, chuck to use it is 15. Totally not worth it, I'd just buy a bottomless pf at that price. Looks like I either need to find a friend who at least has a chuck I can borrow, or buy a proper bottomless.

EDIT: i ran it today without the bottom of the metal part cutout but it's got a descent sized hole in the middle, figured i'd give it a whirl. This is just using some probably year old starbucks espresso beans that i happen to have lying around in the cupboard (dont even ask). My god the difference in quality is amazing. What came out of the machine had this beautiful velvety texture. Seeing as how i'm not dying to have milk drinks maybe i'll keep this little bastard for a little while.
D4F

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 2:02pm

Yep, you do not need bottomless, just non-pressurized.  With the mechanism removed you should be fine.

Friend with drill press.  That should have the chuck that you need.  Or, a friend with Dremel or other high speed tool should cut aluminum with below or similar.  Or drill multiple holes around the perimeter and remove and file or Dremel to smooth it out.  I guess I like to make do with what I have,  MacGyver :)

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

The Saeco SBDU line similar to yours make good starting machines.  I am still on my Gaggia "starter" as it fits my needs and I have other fun expenses.

D4F also at
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 2:30pm

bahaha me too! I started drilling around the perimeter and got about 1/2 way done when the drill bit was dead. Tried using the side of the bit to join the holes and wasn't being careful, nicked the inside of the metal with the tip of the bit and thought maybe this is a stupid way to do it. I think home depot has a metal hole saw the right size for 12 bucks, so i'll see if i can borrow a chuck before i do any more damage :P If i can get it mostly out i'll go at it with my dremel.

Thats my dilemma. While i would love to buy a 2k machine, i also like to race motorcycles (road course) and didn't this summer because of money, it's about 1000 dollars a weekend. If i dont buy the machine thats two weekends at the track.

Now that i realize this machine has the potential to actually brew something quite yummy, i might just hold off an perfect my technique with it until i really feel the need to upgrade. I'll say again i owe this revelation to you!
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > getting screw...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.223534107208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+