Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Reviving old Starbucks Barista- next step
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Reviving old...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Bostonwired

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 1:48pm
Subject: Reviving old Starbucks Barista- next step

I have a Starbucks Barista that I have used and abused for at least seven years. It was leaking at the portafilter/head and sometimes would just stop. I took the portafilter apart and tried to clean up the pressurizing gizmo but it still sticks a lot, so I just removed it. I also replaced the head gasket and shower screen so the portafilter can seal much better now.
Because of the sealing issues and never having had a good grinder, I have been using preground coffee, but now that I have depressurized the portafilter it tastes worse. I would prefer to make this broken portafilter my entry into improving my espresso.

So, what should be my next step?
New grinder?(Only have a blade grinder, not currently using) I am at a sub 200 price point for now so I thought of Baratza Encore.
Unpressurized portafilter? or is my old depressurized one capable of making ok shots if the coffee is better?
Other?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 4:59pm
Subject: Re: Reviving old Starbucks Barista- next step

definitely need a better grinder.  Is there any chance you can squeeze about $40 into your budget?  If so, you could get a refurbed Preciso from Baratza ($239) and you'd be good to go in that department.  You still will need freshly roasted beans, but there are lots of places to get those.  If you can't get the Preciso, you should probably go for a manual grinder - either a really good one such as the OE Lido ($165) or something cheaper (Zassenhaus ~$85-$120; Porlex $70-75; Hario Slim or Skerton $40-$55).

As far as your pf goes, check the existing threads for going depressurized with the *$$ Barista.  I'm pretty sure you're already good to go, but you need to confirm that.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Bostonwired

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 8:49am

Thanks for the ideas. I have taken everything out of the portafilter other than the basket, so it should be fully depressurized.
I ordered the Porlex grinder, it's nice looking and is only $48 shipped on Amazon, so I just went for it. I can test how badly I want that espresso each morning as I'm cranking away!
I have located some sources for fresh roasted beans, but if anyone has a great source in Boston, let me know.
Webbles
Webbles
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (v1 from...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky (white)
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 9:15am

I am a Starbucks Barista user as well!  How do you like your new setup?  I am using a Breville Smart Grinder with my Barista, and my wife got me a Naked PF to go with it this past valentine's day. I have done quite a bit of research on proper technique, and I've found that I make really good shots and decently micro-foamed milk. I mainly drink cappucino's and latte's anyway, and I always get fresh-roasted coffee, and that is the BIGGEST factor in my opinion.  If you haven't, try Redbird Espresso from www.redbirdcoffee.com    At $52 for 5 lbs with shipping included, it is a GREAT deal for really good fresh-roasted espresso.

HOWEVER, my Barista has developed a leak in the steam wand.  When I am pulling a shot, water constantly issues from the steam wand.  And it's not just a drip anymore. I can live with it, I guess, but it is really annoying and I would rather learn a little about my machine and make the repair myself.  Is there a place where I can get info about how to repair it? AND a place where I can get the parts?  I don't have ANY money right now for a new machine. (Even though I have been researching them anyway)  I would love to hear from any other Barista owners (or similar machines - Via Venezia, etc)  

Thanks guys!
Brad

Life is too short to drink cheap espresso!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 9:28am

This may help

http://www.partsguru.com/user/Barista%2005.01.pdf

Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Webbles
Webbles

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (v1 from...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky (white)
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 5:55am

Thanks!! This helps a lot!!

Life is too short to drink cheap espresso!
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 8:29pm

The Barista/SIN006 has a plastic cam that fits over the steam knob shaft to activate the leaf switch that turns on the pump. In older Baristas, this can come loose and keep the knob from closing all the way.

You need:

1 - #1 Philips Head Screwdriver

2 - A Set of small allen wrenches

3 - Five minutes with the machine at rest.

Take off the top cover and inspect the sleeve (part #5 on the above-mentioned diagram, page 2). Adjust it to make sure the knob can close firmly, while still properly activating the leaf switch when open. You can hear the switch click when it's actuated. If this does not fit, you need to replace some of the gaskets in your steam valve, which can likely be found in a big kit of synthetic metric o-rings from a place like Harbor Freight. Good luck!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Reviving old...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224820137024)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+