Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Restoring my new Old white Coffee Gaggia
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Restoring my new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 3:20pm
Subject: Re: Restoring my new Old white Coffee Gaggia

I will keep trying to see if I can make it more accessible.

But, I also don't see that becoming a member is so onerous.  
We have two requirements:  give us a valid email address (troll issues), and tell us what Gaggia you have or are considering.

What's so horrible about that (not asked with any "tone";  just a real question)?

Susan
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 3:51pm

I have no negative comments about the Gaggia forum.  I just cringe to sign up to yahoo when I have to agree to, my words, "we can track you and use your information."  I am not even claiming that they are worse than others, just another place to track and send information.  I try to join some where I feel that I can contribute and read others.  The fact that it is closed, on top of the above, does not make it present as warm and fuzzy.

You still regularly contributed here when I joined here.  In fact the knowledge base used to be open and could be referenced.

Many of the Youtube's are available and I have referenced those.  

Thank you again for the dialogue and trying to open the group.  Careful, you may soften your "finicky, and few word" image :)
Fred

Returning this thread to its regular programing/topic

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 5:12pm

D4F Said:

Returning this thread to its regular programing/topic

Posted September 7, 2013 link

Good idea.
iko

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 10:10pm

After successfully adding the trimmer for pressure adjustment and the pressure gauge, the PID came and got installed. Tonight I also added a copper coil around the heater. Wasn't easy. Had to take the OPV and the three-way valve off. The brew thermostat will no longer be used, as the PID took over that function. After winding the copper coil I had to flatten the tubing so that the OPV could fit. Did the same thing on the other side for the valve. Connected the copper tubing directly to the original fitting by redoing the threads on a 1/8 NPT female -> 1/4 compression fitting.  The 1/8 NPT thread I tapped with an M10x1.0 and it fits good (teflon tape used).

iko: DSC00170.JPG
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 10:11pm

Another view of the preheating copper coil.

iko: DSC00171.JPG
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 10:12pm

Carefully fitting it in the machine.

iko: DSC00172.JPG
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 10:13pm

Decided to run mostly copper tubing.

iko: DSC00173.JPG
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 12:58pm

Nice clean up and work.  Very tidy.

iko Said:

Well, considering that there's quite a big difference between 13 bar and 9 bar, while pulling a shot the OVP will let quite a bit of hot water out of the boiler. I figure it'd be better to use the dimmer to set the pressure, not lose any hot water, hence better temperature stability. Plus it'd give me the option of pressure profiling, which does sound interesting to experiment with. Will try to get a dimmer today, maybe a rheostat in the future.

Posted September 5, 2013 link

Does this stop OPV return?  

One problem of preheat is that most of the preheat water is returned to the boiler with an OPV.  Does the dimmer stop this?  Easy enough to catch the return line volume and see.  1/4" ID tubing is about 9 - 10 ml/foot and flow at 9 bar for conventional  UKLA pump is about 105 ml in 25 sec which apportions between pull allowing water into the tank and OPV return.  I am not sure how the dimmer will affect the pump flow but you can measure that.

IIRC your boiler is about 8.5 - 9 oz, much larger than the Classic so better reserve and buffer for the incoming water.

Did you deal with the "standpipe" and OPV routing as below?

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/581975

What PID and functions?  Will you add heat with brew?

D4F also at
iko

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 7:28pm

D4F Said:

Nice clean up and work.  Very tidy.

Posted September 22, 2013 link

Thanks!

D4F Said:

Does this stop OPV return?  

No, I decided to do pressure adjustment via the dimmer.

D4F Said:

One problem of preheat is that most of the preheat water is returned to the boiler with an OPV.  Does the dimmer stop this?  Easy enough to catch the return line volume and see.  1/4" ID tubing is about 9 - 10 ml/foot and flow at 9 bar for conventional  UKLA pump is about 105 ml in 25 sec which apportions between pull allowing water into the tank and OPV return.  I am not sure how the dimmer will affect the pump flow but you can measure that.

I dialed the OPV up to about 11.5 bar, so it's there just for safety, hence no water is returned during the pull. Decided to adjust the pressure with a trimmer. Hm... not sure how the dimmer affects the flow. The pump must have slower flow when dialed down to 8-9 bar via the trimmer, but I haven't measured it. I guess I should find something with a small enough hole to get 9 bar pressure and then see how much water I can get through in 25s.

D4F Said:

IIRC your boiler is about 8.5 - 9 oz, much larger than the Classic so better reserve and buffer for the incoming water.

Did you deal with the "standpipe" and OPV routing as below?
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/581975

No, I didn't modify anything inside the boiler. In retrospect I probably should have, before installing the coil, as now it's more difficult to open up the thing.

D4F Said:

What PID and functions?  Will you add heat with brew?

It's a cheap REX-C700 with what I guess are regular PID functions. Input of various thermocouple types and including RTDs, two alarm functions, relay and SSR outputs. So far I have only implemented the brew temperature stabilization, not the steam temperature via alarm.

What do you mean about "heat with brew?"

Just in case someone wants to attach copper wire to the boiler, this is the adapter I got and tapped with the M10x1.0 tap.

iko: DSC00175.JPG
(Click for larger image)
D4F

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 8:17pm

iko Said:

I dialed the OPV up to about 11.5 bar, so it's there just for safety, hence no water is returned during the pull. Decided to adjust the pressure with a trimmer. Hm... not sure how the dimmer affects the flow. The pump must have slower flow when dialed down to 8-9 bar via the trimmer, but I haven't measured it. I guess I should find something with a small enough hole to get 9 bar pressure and then see how much water I can get through in 25s.

Bottom of page 2, a bit on hole size and flow at 9 bar.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

iko Said:

It's a cheap REX-C700 with what I guess are regular PID functions. Input of various thermocouple types and including RTDs, two alarm functions, relay and SSR outputs. So far I have only implemented the brew temperature stabilization, not the steam temperature via alarm.

What do you mean about "heat with brew?"

Heat with brew, and why preheat may not be necessary.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

I use a PID with algorithms and 2 alarm functions.  PID algorithms supply idle/brew temperature, one alarm is able to add heat with/during brew to stop intrashot drop and keep the boiler heated by balancing the heat calories to cold water calories, and the second alarm replaces the steam stat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluei1-IkTw

From the prior reference on OWC by AndyPanda, it seems that fixing the upright copper tube and cold water intake help.  You may want to consider that if it is not all back and running.  Sounds like a potentially great machine.  You are having fun, and that and great espresso count :)

D4F also at
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Restoring my new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388179063797)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+