Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Gaggia Nuova Eta restoration project
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Nuova Eta...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
iko

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:14pm
Subject: Gaggia Nuova Eta restoration project

Came across a one group Gaggia Nuova Eta at a good price. Thought I'd get it as a long term project. Couldn't test it, but all the parts seem to be there. Seems to need a lot of work.

Facts:

• operating voltage: 220V
  • rated power: 1350W
  • heater elements resistance, measured cold: 119, 123, and 125 ohms; they are connected in parallel, resulting in a resistance of about 41 ohms which sounds about right 220^2/41 = 1180W (Power = Voltage squared / Resistance)

iko: gaggianuovaeta1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
iko

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:24pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Nuova Eta restoration project

Taking it apart.

iko: gaggianuovaeta2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:27pm

The Gaggia make pump is separate, 220V as well.

iko: DSC00164.JPG
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:29pm

Opening up the boiler didn't go very well. Three bolts snapped. They seemed to turn fine, but that was because they broke.

iko: DSC00160.JPG
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:37pm

How to get out the broken bolts? Drill right through the middle of the bolt with larger and larger bits, until there's very little left of the original bolt. Pull out the empty shell of the bolts somehow. Well, easier said then done. One bolt was drilled slightly off center. The other two, although drilled right through the center, and only a thin outer shell left, couldn't get the remainder of the bold to budge. So I made a thin chisel out of a punch, and sculpted them out of the hole, as careful as possible. The original threads got damaged, of course. I redid all the threads with the right size tap, which was M10x1.5 but the three holes that were damaged I don't trust to torque the new bolts as tight as the others. I'm thinking maybe I should use some JB weld to reinforce the threads? Not sure. Maybe the lid will not leak even when only lightly torquing the three problematic bolts.

iko: DSC00162.JPG
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:39pm

The other "fixed" hole.

iko: DSC00163.JPG
(Click for larger image)
adpopulum

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 11:33am

So what happened? Did you ever complete this?
iko

Posted Fri Aug 8, 2014, 10:17am

Well, here's an update. This project was on the back burner for about a year. Then, about two months ago I decided to work on it again. The machine was all taken apart. Ordered all new gaskets from cafeparts, they had one on back order, so it took another month to get them. Got stainless steel bolts to replace the rusted original boiler bolts.

Cleaned the boiler and all pipes by boiling them for a while in a citric acid solution. Couldn't find real citric acid, but found a really good substitute. It's called Lipton Langis Lemon Professional bar mix. It's cheap and has a high concentration of citric acid. Cleaned all brass and copper amazingly.

Several parts of the machine were broken. Both gauges (pump and steam) were non-functional. The Gicar RL40 water level controller was gone. It's a simple electronic circuit which uses a stainless steel probe at the front of the machine, and when the water level rises and it touches it, the circuit's supposed to turn off the pump. Took me several hours to fix this one; had a burned rectifier which otherwise measured perfectly, but didn't to its function in the circuit.

The dark brown panels were chipped and scratched, so I sanded them by hand, and spray painted them. It's not a 100% professional finish, but IMHO it looks pretty good. Chose a colonial red for this.

I also replaced the pump with one that I had around, a diaphragm pump, much more quiet, and able to provide acceptable flow and pressure.

Here's the first shot pulled out of some old decaf that I had around since forever.

https://vimeo.com/102922986
iko

Posted Fri Aug 8, 2014, 10:57am

Some pictures follow.

New brew head gaskets.

iko: IMG_3162-002.JPG
(Click for larger image)
iko

Posted Fri Aug 8, 2014, 10:58am

Another new gasket.

iko: IMG_3163-002.JPG
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Gaggia Nuova Eta...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.275377988815)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+