Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Do GICARs usually pulse the pump on power up?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Do GICARs...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jimboc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi twist
Grinder: Baratza Precico
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 6:51am
Subject: Do GICARs usually pulse the pump on power up?

Just wondering why my BZ99 runs the Ulka pump for a second or two when it's powered on.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 7:38am
Subject: Re: Do GICARs usually pulse the pump on power up?

Specific volume of water changes with temperature, i.e., it expands slightly in relation to its increase from 0C. For example, the specific volume of water increases about 5-7% when going up to espresso machine boiler temps (93-123C). So, when it cools back down after you turn it off, the water level lowers ever so slightly...enough to trigger the fill mechanism? That I don't know, but if so, this may explain what you're seeing when you turn it back on. I'd be interested to hear if there is another reason.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 10:49am

I have different machines but the exact same thing. They nearly always cycle the pump on to top off the boiler at start up.
You hit it directly on the head,  Ron,  good answer.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 11:28am

Thanks for the confirmation, Wayne!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jimboc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi twist
Grinder: Baratza Precico
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 3:27pm

I'd discounted the reducing volume of the water with cooldown because the pump runs every time I turn the machine on, which would mean the water level is kept always around the high level.

I thought the idea of the high and low sensor pair was for hysteresis, only filling the boiler when low but right up to the high point, to avoid the constant pulsing that would happen with turbulent boiling water or the machine being bumped.

But thinking about it further now that you've also mentioned the volume reduction, I'm now thinking the GICAR instead waits for the water to be under the high sensor and just fills for a short preset time (giving the hysteresis), and the low sensor only used as a failsafe to interrupt heating.

That would also stop the protect the pump being on for too long and give less variation as to how much of the HX tube was covered with boiling water, hence easier brew temp control.

So I think you're right. Thanks.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 18, 2013, 5:27am

I could be wrong as I have not seen every machine there is but any I have seen only have one sensor, the system senses either on or off. If there is conduction through the sensor circuit, the boiler is not topped off, if there is no conduction, the pump is turned on and the boiler gets a shot of water.

There should be only one probe, it is either through the side of the boiler or down from the top, the boiler shell is grounded so if the current flows, the water is high enough. It is a simple on/off sensor, not two for min/max.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
jpboyt

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 7:09pm

It would be easy enough to test. Pull the lead off of the high level sensor and ground it to the boiler or frame. Turn the machine on and see what happens. If you get a second or two of pump action it is probably due to the electrical voltages in the box working their way to steady state. I see a lot of relays that click for a second or so due to inrush currents. Especially in older electronics with capacitors that may be getting a bit low in value.
jpboyt
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Do GICARs...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214109897614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+