Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Rancilio Silvia steam wand on a Saeco Aroma?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cherbhy

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Posted Thu May 6, 2010, 10:01pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia steam wand on a Saeco Aroma?

SteveSeattle Said:

Saeco Aroma & Silvia Steam Wand - Idea #2
Cut the wands to the desired lengths.  Thread both cut ends with a 1/4 x 28 threading die, external threads.  Join the two ends with a 1/4 x 28 internally threaded food grade stainless steel coupler.
Steve

Posted May 6, 2010 link

Are you positive about this sizing? I'm planning to take this approach and purchase a die handle + a few dies. Also, where did you find the "smooth style" coupling nuts?

Thanks,

Craig
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveSeattle

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Ascaso I Mini
Posted Tue May 11, 2010, 7:01pm

cherbhy Said:

Are you positive about this sizing? I'm planning to take this approach and purchase a die handle + a few dies. Also, where did you find the "smooth style" coupling nuts?

Posted May 6, 2010 link

Attached is a sketch with dimensions.  It's not to any scale and only show relative measurements.  It shows wand outside diameter, inside diameter and thread measurements for 1/4-28 (cut in the wand).   According to this and in theory, it should be fine.  I'd appreciate an opinion.
Threaded couplers are available at a supply house that specializes in hydralic hoses and couplings.  Also check at a WhiteCap Construction Supply outlet if you live near one.  Steve

SteveSeattle: Wand Threads.jpg
(Click for larger image)
frankmoss

Espresso: Faema Compact, Saeco Aroma
Grinder: AscasoI-2
Posted Fri May 14, 2010, 3:13pm

This is awesome guys! I never expected so much discussion.  I'm eager to see how this turns out
burstofspeed

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 25, 2010, 9:02pm

Any update on this?  Does the threading work, want to know for my saeco via venezia.
GraemeMcLaughlin

Posted Tue Jun 1, 2010, 3:05pm

Has anyone considered flipping the Silvia steam wand around?  Is it threaded on both sides so that you could do this?

Looking at this video of a modded Classico, it seems to be what this guy's done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoFjmOSIUk

The "business end" of the wand might be a bit short, but since it articulates it might be ok.
SteveSeattle

Grinder: Ascaso I Mini
Posted Sun Jun 13, 2010, 6:21pm

GraemeMcLaughlin Said:

Has anyone considered flipping the Silvia steam wand around?  Is it threaded on both sides so that you could do this?

Looking at this video of a modded Classico, it seems to be what this guy's done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qoFjmOSIUk

The "business end" of the wand might be a bit short, but since it articulates it might be ok.

Posted June 1, 2010 link

See the attached photo of a Silvia wand, each end is different, can't be reversed.  Articulated Rancilio wand is a whole other issue as more is required than just the wand.  That video of the hot rod Saeco continues to be a mystery.
Steve

SteveSeattle: Silvia wand (3).jpg
(Click for larger image)
espressonoob
espressonoob

Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011, 1:25pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been a long time lurker and it is time for me to give back.  Attached is a pic of my aroma with a Silvia wand.  This is what I did.  You can bend the steam wand.  Just go very slowly and carefully.  I had some wood as soft-jaws in my vise.  Take out the first bend in the Silvia wand and straighten it out.  I just did it cold without heating it up.  Don't worry if it is not perfect since you can't see it anyways in the case of the aroma.  The rest you can play around with since everyone has their own preferences.  I do find the wand is a bit shorter then the panerello.  I haven't done it yet but the thread in the end seems at first glance to be a 10-32.  I put a tap up to the thread on the detachable tip and it seems about right.  This would make sense since a 10-32 machine screw works for the screen on the Silvia group head.  Find some one with a metal lathe and they can machine up an attachment out of some 304 stainless.  The material is not too expensive.  I bought two feet round stock for $7.  I would also suggest to not buy material smaller than 3/8 so you can also make an attachment for the larger tips also. Hope this helps.  Good Luck!

espressonoob: photo.JPG
(Click for larger image)
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011, 1:30pm

Great job and thank you!!!!

Does it articulate?  How is it connected inside the machine?

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
espressonoob
espressonoob

Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Wed Feb 2, 2011, 1:18pm

Your welcome.

The steam wand just spins like the original.  I just used the original nut and spaced it out with 3 o-rings.  Pretty much a direct bolt on.
coffeedude55
coffeedude55
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Baratza Preciso & Mazzer...
Drip: Technivorm KBG741
Posted Mon Sep 9, 2013, 9:46am

Thanks to all that posted for this great idea. I just ordered a new Saeco Aroma espresso machine from SCG. I would like to weld /braze the Rancilio Silvia ver.1 wand as designed by SteveSeattle. I also ordered the wand and have contacted a local metal fab shop in my area. Once the Saeco Aroma machine and the Silvia wand come in I will go to the fab shop to see if it's possible to do. If anyone has gone this route or tried another idea, like tap/die ideas, please post it with a photo. If this works out I will post any info I learned, cost of this mod, and photos. Thanks.
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283789157867)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+