Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
Possible UKLA pump issues
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Possible UKLA...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dshavers

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Starbuck Barista
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 2:12pm
Subject: Possible UKLA pump issues

Hello everyone, I was curious about the pump pressure that my little Starbucks Barista was making so I hooked up a portafilter gauge for the measurement. According to my gauge it shoots up to around 10bars and then slowly starts dropping down to around 8 before I shut down the pump. Theres a tiny bit of leakage from the fittings, and also the portafilter is the non pressurized version from seattle coffee company. No leakes around the portafilter.

Does this seem correct? or is the pump on its last leg? The pump model is a UKLA EAP5 52W

Click Here (s197.photobucket.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 2:47pm
Subject: Re: Possible UKLA pump issues

Is there any pressure regulation, opv or other adjustment, or is that pump max?  What is the leak/flow rate?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dshavers

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 2:52pm

Hey Fred,

No Pressure regulation. I did have the dimmer hooked up before but disconnected it before reading the pressure. There is some kind of OPV valve in the system, but i'm not sure if it's adjustable. I'm assuming it tightened all the way in. I'm going to hook up a needle valve to the gauge to try and simulate an actual flow rate.

D4F Said:

Is there any pressure regulation, opv or other adjustment, or is that pump max?  What is the leak/flow rate?

Posted September 8, 2013 link

D4F

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 3:01pm

Hi David,

Pressure may be factory regulated to say 11, though I do not know that.  You are leaking from somewhere, so catch that for 25 seconds from the first drip to see what it amounts to.  8 bar seems low for the pump, but just check the leak rate as I saw plenty of drips.  What is dripping?

D4F also at
dshavers

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 3:16pm

I'll try and maeasure that. I just tightened all my connections again and it gets up to 10 bar and the quickly falls. Keeps falling to around 7-6 bar. Something else I noticed is that the pumps gets pretty quiet during the drop as well. A new pump isn't that expensive and I could always try a deep clean of the parts if it sound to be failing. I just noticed this because the last couple of shots I pulled seemed to take a big longer and where struggling a bit with the same grind and tamp settings.
D4F

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 3:45pm

My guess is a failing pump unless the leak flow is significant enough to relieve some pressure.  I doubt that it was set to 10 as it came with pressurized PF and would have been higher. The leaks need to be fixed or quantified to account for your brew.  Perhaps you could get lucky and leak at your desired brew rate.

D4F also at
dshavers

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 3:51pm

Yeah it kind of sounds like it. Possibly related to the voltage mod I did. Ugh. It doesn't leak during the brew, only when testing the pressure. I guess the only true way to tell is to get the brass fittings tight enough not to leak, and hook up a needle valve to simulate a shot. But the fact that the pump goes quieter is suspect. This machine has a valve in the group that once hits a certain pressure, opens up to I'm assuming 9-10 bars.
D4F

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 4:00pm

My pump sound is different running as it is building pressure or open steam wand than against a brew or blind PF.  It still seems that your pressure is low and does not hold.  I cannot see how it would work if you had a pressurized PF that uses higher pressure.

D4F also at
iko

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 6:37pm

I really don't think that a dimmer would damage the pump. However, the leaky connections could cause a large drop in pressure. I have experienced that while experimenting with my machine (an old Gaggia). The other possibility is that the OVP is set too low.

My pump also became a lot quieter when it reached 13bar with a blocked portafilter. Probably not a good idea to run the pump on max pressure for a long time (when it gets quiet).
dshavers

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 7:36pm

Yeah me neither but I guess you never know. The pump is probably pretty old, and I got this machine off eBay, so god only knows its true lifespan.

Yeah the leaking from the brass fittings could be causing some of the loss. I need to tighten those fittings up, and get some more tape around them. I would expect the pressure to hold around 10 at least with minimal leakage.  The pump sounds fine without any pressure buildup.

iko Said:

I really don't think that a dimmer would damage the pump. However, the leaky connections could cause a large drop in pressure. I have experienced that while experimenting with my machine (an old Gaggia). The other possibility is that the OVP is set too low.

My pump also became a lot quieter when it reached 13bar with a blocked portafilter. Probably not a good idea to run the pump on max pressure for a long time (when it gets quiet).

Posted September 8, 2013 link

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > Possible UKLA...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237412929535)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+