Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
What's this sediment in my pump discharge line?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What's this...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
humanoid37
humanoid37
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Wega Nova,...
Grinder: Mahlkoenig Vario, Santos 6A,...
Drip: Abid CCD
Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 2:32pm
Subject: What's this sediment in my pump discharge line?

Examining my new machine, I'm not sure why there would be a whole lot of white crusty sediment in this pump discharge line (silicone tube)... should I be concerned that this is a sign of abuse by the previous owner? Or is this normal... My understanding (= limited understanding!) is that cold water from the pump, would exit out of this line if it exceeds the set pressure (e.g. 9 bar). So why would there be lumps of calcification clogging up the tube? Wouldn't water have to be sitting idle in this line for some time? Wouldn't it have to be hot water? Did a spider crawl up the drain line and make a nest here? My mind is boggling... I bet there's a simple explanation somewhere... you can't see the sediment in this pic, but trust me, there are several lumps along its length.

humanoid37: drain tube.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 3:25pm
Subject: Re: What's this sediment in my pump discharge line?

Are you assuming that it is calcification or do you know? it was hard to tell from the photo. It could just be fogging, it could be desacaling residue, something growing from well water use maybe (no chlorine), or from chlorine?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
humanoid37
humanoid37

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro, Wega Nova,...
Grinder: Mahlkoenig Vario, Santos 6A,...
Drip: Abid CCD
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 1:51am

frcn Said:

Are you assuming that it is calcification or do you know? it was hard to tell from the photo. It could just be fogging, it could be desacaling residue, something growing from well water use maybe (no chlorine), or from chlorine?

Posted July 30, 2013 link

Hi frcn, thanks for the feedback!

Calcification / scale was my first guess. It's white and when you squeeze the silicon hose it crackles and breaks, but it's pretty thick - and there are a few of these lumps in the line. In any event I will simply detach the hose and clean it out. I just wondered if it was a well known warning sign of something going wrong in earlier operation... I'm always a bit parnoid when buying second hand machines. But in any event I'll continue with the descaling of HX and boiler and hopefully everything will be working smoothly!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 9:46am

If the machine had been run on a softening system it is possible that it is mineral deposits, but not the "true" scaling sort.. maybe. One thing you can do is pull the water level probe and see if that is scaled and then make decisions based on that.

Remove the wire connector from the probe then unscrew the entire assembly (by turning the hex fitting closest to the boiler). If there is scale you do not want to pull the probe wire out as the scale on the probe can damage the insulating seal.

What machine is this?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
matster

Espresso: Faema E91 diplomat 2group,...
Grinder: Mazzer super jolly
Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 3:09pm

sorry to hijack a month old thread but thought I would chime in to see if you got the machine descaled and running? The sediment in the tube looks like poor water quality, like we have here in Az however, ime even using and RO system and softener I still see sediment. Anyway, my first post here hope it helps :)
The discharge tube you pointed out in the pic is coming from the expansion valve which regulates the circuit when the pump is not running. During initial start up, the cold water in the circuit will expand and if enough, the  valve will open and drip, usually 11-12 bar. The bypass in the pump handles system pressure when activated, the key there is to make sure the expansion valve is adjusted (if adjustable) higher then the pump otherwise you will dump pressure out the expansion. Seeing that your tube had a questionable about of scale/deposits I would be looking to make sure the valve isn't faulty and letting water dump all the time.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What's this...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.250334024429)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+