Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
What has 2 thumbs and loves his PIDed Saeco Aroma?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What has 2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 7:08pm
Subject: Re: What has 2 thumbs and loves his PIDed Saeco Aroma?

Wow, not sure how you happened to find Hobbyking, but a good site, I use them. I usually recommend the 14 awg in silicone as it is high flex making for easy connections inside the machine.  14 awg is for the load end of the SSR only.  I walked into a local hobby shop and got 6 ft, smallest length that they sell.  I prefer smaller wire and insulation for the other, though that silicone works fine as should the lamp wire.  Remember that you are going to have to bundle it all together to go into a box, so size matters.  From recollection the lamp type wire has a thicker coat of insulation than the silicone.

For small wires I like something like these and it may give you ideas.

Click Here (www.skycraftsurplus.com)

http://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/Wire4.html

Click Here (www.ebay.com)

I actually used some of the "ribbon cable" that I had in 4 strand bundles and 26 awg.  Even down to 30 awg should carry the PID and charger currents.  You have to look, but much of the ribbon cable is 105C rated for inside machine/computer use.  I pull off strands as I need, and it is thin and flexible.

Most of the supplies and sources are covered in the PID thread.

Agree, I would not place the SSR in plastic.  I could not tell what the material was.

Where did you find that PDF, I could not find a site.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
dshavers

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Starbuck Barista
Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 2:19pm

Thanks!

I did read up on that thread. I went ahead and just ordered the silicon stuff in 14 and 20 awg, since I already purchased the connectors :)  All I'm waiting on are the wires, then I can start hooking this puppy up. I'll probably have loads of questions about the setup process, but I should be good to go on the hookup. I'm thinking of just running the wires through a hole in the back and just running through a larger size box on the side of the machine so that I can have both my PID and dimmer switch in one box. Plus I'm not too keen on trying to drill through the machine's main side.

The PDF mentions hooking up a ground wire, but can't see anywhere in the photos or diagrams of where the ground wire hooks up to from the machine.
D4F

Posted Fri Aug 23, 2013, 8:04pm

Are you adding steam control?  If so, how?  What is your DC source?  If not, you can still add steam after you are up and running.  Gaggias used to come with a 3 wire plug and ground was then hooked up. Gaggias are now 2 wire, no ground.  Not sure about your Saeco.

Still curious about the PDF address?

Your plan sounds fine for the box and hookup.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Sat Aug 24, 2013, 10:26am

I looked at "ground" on the wiring diagrams and see that a terminal block is shown with ground, so a 3 wire incoming.  You will probably be told to run a wire from that ground to PID ground so that they are together.  As noted, I only had 2 wires and omitted the PID ground.

Do you have/use a DigitalMultiMeter?

D4F also at
dshavers

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Starbuck Barista
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 3:36pm

As of right now, i'm just going to add the brew control. I've pretty much figured out how to get the most out of my steam, although it would be nice to not have to surf to mainstain steaming temp. That's for another day.

There was a past thread http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/grinders/323735 where the PDF was mentioned. One of the posters on that thread had access to it.
D4F

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 3:50pm

Too bad the PDF site or link is not available for future.

Getting the brew going is a good start and you will see the steam temperature so it will still help.  Steam is an easy add on and can be done out of the machine on a table/bench and added.  You will need to add a diode to the line currently from PID to SSR when the time comes, but very easy.  I started without steam but not for long :)

D4F also at
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What has 2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196683883667)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+