Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations
What has 2 thumbs and loves his PIDed Saeco Aroma?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What has 2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
dshavers

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Starbuck Barista
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 8:31pm
Subject: Re: What has 2 thumbs and loves his PIDed Saeco Aroma?

Thanks for the info.

Can't seem to get the link to the pdf to work.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Aug 19, 2013, 8:37pm

What are you using for PID, SSR and thermocouple?  Are you making wires?  Piggybacks?  Steam control?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dshavers

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 12:26pm

These are what i'm using for the install.  I plan on using piggyback terminals and quick disconnects for the install, since I really don't want to be cutting into wires. I think the 40a SSR might have been a bit overkill but I just pieced out everything from an existing thread. For the sensor, I'll have to pry it out of the bolt, but that shouldn't be too difficult. I've thought about attaching the thermo bead once it's out, onto a washer lug, but not sure if that's even necessary.  

All that's really left is deciding on a project box, and a heat sink if necessary.  

What are some options about steam control? It would be nice for the machine to stay at steaming temp throughout the process.

Click Here (www.lightobject.com)

D4F Said:

What are you using for PID, SSR and thermocouple?  Are you making wires?  Piggybacks?  Steam control?

Posted August 19, 2013 link

D4F

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 6:18pm

That all looks good.  I believe that this box can fit the PID controller.  You need 2x2x5+ IIRC.  The tight spot is between the posts.  I have not found many that are compact.

Click Here (www.radioshack.com)

SSR is fine, normal is 25 as you probably know.  Sensor is fine and easily replaced if it does not come out of the bolt.  You can get the thermocouples without a bolt quite inexpensively.

Steam can usually be done by alarm function on the controller.  Skene method can be used by having the steam switch turn on an AC-DC power supply such as cell phone or headset supply.  that then gives a DC supply to be controlled by alarm and to SSR with diodes to separate the lines.  Page 1 on the thread has the Skene site link.  Depending on the wiring, the steam switch can be unplugged from AC and can run the + side of a 9v battery with leads to alarm and then SSR like Skene, and the other method is to use an AC-AC SSR and run the steam AC power to that via the alarm.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

The last half of that thread is about supplies and install on Gaggia, but about the same, including detailed diode use if not understood.

Ask if you need help, or post your progress.

D4F also at
dshavers

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 6:55pm

Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to look inside the machine tonight and see if there's a good place to mount the SSR. The auber boxes look nice, but are fairly expensive. Especially with shipping.

D4F Said:

That all looks good.  I believe that this box can fit the PID controller.  You need 2x2x5+ IIRC.  The tight spot is between the posts.  I have not found many that are compact.

Click Here (www.radioshack.com)

SSR is fine, normal is 25 as you probably know.  Sensor is fine and easily replaced if it does not come out of the bolt.  You can get the thermocouples without a bolt quite inexpensively.

Steam can usually be done by alarm function on the controller.  Skene method can be used by having the steam switch turn on an AC-DC power supply such as cell phone or headset supply.  that then gives a DC supply to be controlled by alarm and to SSR with diodes to separate the lines.  Page 1 on the thread has the Skene site link.  Depending on the wiring, the steam switch can be unplugged from AC and can run the + side of a 9v battery with leads to alarm and then SSR like Skene, and the other method is to use an AC-AC SSR and run the steam AC power to that via the alarm.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

The last half of that thread is about supplies and install on Gaggia, but about the same, including detailed diode use if not understood.

Ask if you need help, or post your progress.

Posted August 20, 2013 link

D4F

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 7:06pm

I am sure that you know your way around in the machine, but a good thread.

Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 7:17pm

SSR behind pump on the floor over the tank?  I am only seeing a picture.

http://www.partsguru.com/user/Fixing%20Rio%20Vapore%20(Barista)%20Top%20View.JPG

D4F also at
dshavers

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 8:57pm

Hmmm. Ideally that is plenty of space, but after opening mine up, I noticed that most of the space by the top two bolts is taken up by the funnel that is on the top of the machine where you pour water into. There might be enough space next to the terminal.

D4F Said:

SSR behind pump on the floor over the tank?  I am only seeing a picture.

http://www.partsguru.com/user/Fixing%20Rio%20Vapore%20(Barista)%20Top%20View.JPG

D4F

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 9:10pm

I could not tell from the picture.  Case side over the terminal block, or case/top on the removable top beside the funnel.  From the pictures I cannot quite visualize the funnel in 3D.  On the Gaggia I leave it under a counter and do not use its fill funnel but fill by sliding the water tank forward when I have the waste/drip pan out to clean.  You could also use the top of the warming area inside high over the terminal if flat enough.  It seems that case or top mounts will need hole(s) drilled to mount the SSR.  Not a big problem, but probably a necessity, that is why I was looking at the floor.

I looked at the Partsguru diagram and think that I understand the funnel 3D now.  Not a tapered funnel, but a box with a tube through the floor to the tank??

D4F also at
dshavers

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 10:47pm

]Yes it's the big black funnel attachment that sits on top of the stainless steel back shielding. If pretty much fills up that whole empty spot.

I think I will take your approach and not use the top spout. The SSR fits nicely in that area, especially since I can bolt it down with one of the existing screws.

Click Here (i197.photobucket.com)

D4F Said:

I could not tell from the picture.  Case side over the terminal block, or case/top on the removable top beside the funnel.  From the pictures I cannot quite visualize the funnel in 3D.  On the Gaggia I leave it under a counter and do not use its fill funnel but fill by sliding the water tank forward when I have the waste/drip pan out to clean.  You could also use the top of the warming area inside high over the terminal if flat enough.  It seems that case or top mounts will need hole(s) drilled to mount the SSR.  Not a big problem, but probably a necessity, that is why I was looking at the floor.

I looked at the Partsguru diagram and think that I understand the funnel 3D now.  Not a tapered funnel, but a box with a tube through the floor to the tank??

showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Espresso Mods > What has 2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291702032089)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+